• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga Of The Swamp Thing

106 posts in this topic

I started on volume 3 this morning....I have been a little busy lately. Book 3 has a very long forward written by Stephen Bissette....very long for a forward.

Maccai3 mentioned above I will meet Constantine in this book. I know nothing about him and have never seen the movie. Is it worth watching?

Also I asked a question earlier that got overlooked or ignored? Is #33 a reprint of House Of Secrets #92?

It is a stormy day here in Maine ao it will be a good day to sit back and read through book 3. I do have to say I like the series MUCH more then I thought I would. I definitely think this is something I would not have liked as a kid/teenager. Even then I did not read much DC. My way of thinking back then was I needed to pick one universe/company to collect because I could not afford both. Since Spider-Man is my favorite I went with Marvel, and do not regret it. I am sure I missed many good comics though.

I never read Watchmen either, I suppose I should try it. How is Watchmen? I can't remember hearing anything bad about it anywhere......

Unfortuanetly my library does not carry Watchmen, so who knows when I will get around to reading it........

I started on volume 3 this morning....I have been a little busy lately. Book 3 has a very long forward written by Stephen Bissette....very long for a forward.

Maccai3 mentioned above I will meet Constantine in this book. I know nothing about him and have never seen the movie. Is it worth watching?

Also I asked a question earlier that got overlooked or ignored? Is #33 a reprint of House Of Secrets #92?

It is a stormy day here in Maine ao it will be a good day to sit back and read through book 3. I do have to say I like the series MUCH more then I thought I would. I definitely think this is something I would not have liked as a kid/teenager. Even then I did not read much DC. My way of thinking back then was I needed to pick one universe/company to collect because I could not afford both. Since Spider-Man is my favorite I went with Marvel, and do not regret it. I am sure I missed many good comics though.

I never read Watchmen either, I suppose I should try it. How is Watchmen? I can't remember hearing anything bad about it anywhere......

Unfortuanetly my library does not carry Watchmen, so who knows when I will get around to reading it........

The Constantine movie wasn't great, but it's probably worth watching. Keanu Reeves didn't make for a good John Constantine in my opinion.

You should read Watchmen. If you liked the movie the book is better. That and Swamp Thing are my 2 favorites by Moore. I didn't care for V for Vendetta, the movie was decent but reading the book was a challenge. I couldn't get into it. I also didn't care for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen either. I do like some of Alan Moore's work, even The Killing Joke, but a lot of it isn't so great in my opinion.

I can't comment on #33 and if it reprints HoS, I don't remember it's been so long since I've read them.

If you're on an Alan Moore kick, Miracle Man is highly recommended!

The first 12 issues are fairly easy to get but 13-24 are pricey, especially the Gaiman ones.

It must be in tpb though?

TPB's were the subject of copyright fights for YEARS...the TPB's that contain 13-24 will run you $300-400 in nice shape.

re: Constantine in Swamp Thing comics vs Movie Constantine - I wouldn't recommend the movie.

re: Swamp Thing #33 being a reprint? Yes and no. The entire 8 page story from House of Secrets #92 is reprinted in the middle of the book. The first six and last six pages of Swampy #33 sandwich the reprint with Abigail meeting Cain & Abel at the House of Mystery in the Dreaming. The new material is written by Alan Moore.

If you're on an Alan Moore kick, Miracle Man is highly recommended!

The first 12 issues are fairly easy to get but 13-24 are pricey, especially the Gaiman ones.

It must be in tpb though?

TPB's were the subject of copyright fights for YEARS...the TPB's that contain 13-24 will run you $300-400 in nice shape.

Yep. If you have patience, Marvel has just started reprinting the series (now that they have the rights). Probably on issue 3 now. They are kind of expensive at $3.99/ea, but still cheaper than picking up the original series or the trades.

I was at the library yesterday and picked up several TPBs and GNs out of the section just for those. One was Book One of the SotST series. I am already on the third book I picked up, so I will get to this soon and report back on what I thought.

Thou art fairly warned!

;)

-slym

I thought the Constantine movie had some really good parts. but yes Keanu was a bad choice. But I thought the movie was able to get past that somewhat. But then again, my Hellblazer reading is very limited. Since Alan Moore is the subject here I think we should remember his (and Mignola's) take on the movies of their work - they are not the books, they don't affect the books at all, and they are movies not the old comics. You should view them separately, and in that context I liked Constantine. (It sucked me in one day - I had no intention of watching it.)

LoEG is best in the beginning and gets a bit complex (not for the better either) and very much more obscure with the references as they go along. But I am still on that ride, even if I have not yet read the Nemo's daughter stuff.

I also have Lost Girls on my shelf (shrinkwrapped still). I do plan on reading that, probably around the same time I get to FM's Holy Terror (yes I bought that too).

Thanks for all the input folks! I just finished issue #36 so it looks like I will meet Constantine in the next issue according to the post a page back.

@Davenport, the issue with Batman/Gotham city looks cool. I am a bit away from volume 5 but have some incentive to keep going....I planned to anyway. I'm thinking I should go grab the last two volumes at my library asap!

@Slim, you never read this either I see....so this thread inspired you a bit. I'd like to hear what you think as you read it too.

As for Watchmen I have thought about checking the series out for awhile now, sooner or later I should be able to afford the trade. Not working has put a damper on a lot! Especially comic related things. :sorry:

Miraclemen? This is a good series too huh? Marvel owns it now? Was it DC before? When did they start releasing them again?

#32: the character is POGO, and was an amazing strip written and drawn by Walt Kelly, which was light years ahead of its time when published (40's through 70's) with some very beautiful art.

It is a very touching tribute from Moore, if you're familiar with the world of Pogo (not "pogs")

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Well I just finished reading volume 4 and have to say this one was my favorite so far. Every issue in this volume was great. Starting with #43 with the hallucigen fruit Swamp Thing produces right thru #50 with the battle between good and evil. I also enjoyed Swamp Thing meeting the tree elementals....this reminded me a little of the whole totem thing JMS did in ASM for some reason (which I thought was horrible, trying to expand on Spidey's origin this way was WHACKED!! Ha-Ha!)

Issue #'s 48-50 have gotten me curious about some other DC characters. Especially Dr. Fate and The Spectre. I have known of these character but just from seeing them on covers or in their own series. Otherwise I know nothing about them. Constantine was much more likable in this volume, I didn't care about him in the previous one. Still not quite sure of what he is completely capable of though....

Well on to volume 5!

Some of my very favorite writing in all of comics came from this Swamp Thing Run....

applicable to the story, to life, to regrets, to missed opportunities....that's some existential mess you got for pocket change.

SwampThing28pg21_zps812b1d92.jpg

When we see something like this in a comic book, is it wrong to question how a skeleton stays together while being carried like that?

Because they don't.

Is it the same as just "believing" that Flash can run faster than the speed of light, or just accepting that Mr. Fantastic can stretch?

Or are they different?

Some of my very favorite writing in all of comics came from this Swamp Thing Run....

applicable to the story, to life, to regrets, to missed opportunities....that's some existential mess you got for pocket change.

SwampThing28pg21_zps812b1d92.jpg

When we see something like this in a comic book, is it wrong to question how a skeleton stays together while being carried like that?

Because they don't.

Is it the same as just "believing" that Flash can run faster than the speed of light, or just accepting that Mr. Fantastic can stretch?

Or are they different?

Well, that's a walking & talking plant elemental right there. Ligaments would not be the first thing I'd notice if I was looking for "what's wrong with this picture?".

Also there are several levels of meaning and understanding when enjoying literature. I believe focusing on the lifespan of connective tissue might be the first level.