• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga Of The Swamp Thing

106 posts in this topic

However, one a different note....I did happen to read The Killing Joke in bed before I went to sleep and I still don't understand why many love the comic?! The story to me was okay but overall I didn't find it inspirational or ground-breaking or whatever other things I have heard it called. It was well...mediocre to me. I couldn't care if I ever read it again.

Moore feels it is mediocre as well. I think the art carries it in most people's minds. Since you have now read it...are you aware many think Batman kills the Joker at the end? How did you read the ending of KJ...Bats kills Mr. J or he goes off to prison?

I don't remember this show. I'm guessing it wasn't around long lol .

not overly long but it was around enough to get a toy line made

also in the Blackest Night/Brightest Day Green Lantern storyline, Swamp Thing is a White Lantern and they resurrect Alec Holland to turn him into a Black Lantern so they have Swamp Thing vs Swamp Thing

This thread is catching on. Yesterday I found the SoST trade that Eric (Hammerhead) is reading and started reading it myself. I love the way ST origin is expanded.

That so far has been my favorite issue in the run too Paul. I went to my library today and grabbed volume 2, 3 and 4. The reading of these goes by pretty quick I have noticed but really there is a ton of text compared to comics nowadays! lol

However, one a different note....I did happen to read The Killing Joke in bed before I went to sleep and I still don't understand why many love the comic?! The story to me was okay but overall I didn't find it inspirational or ground-breaking or whatever other things I have heard it called. It was well...mediocre to me. I couldn't care if I ever read it again.

Moore feels it is mediocre as well. I think the art carries it in most people's minds. Since you have now read it...are you aware many think Batman kills the Joker at the end? How did you read the ending of KJ...Bats kills Mr. J or he goes off to prison?

The art is great, I agree with that. To me after the Joker tells Batman the joke and he starts choking him I thought it looked as if he killed him. I really didn't think that was in character with Batman though....but then again I honestly have never read too many Batman comics.

The afterword in the reprint edition I read is by Bolland. He tease's at the begining of the afterword that he will explain the ending soon, but then says he only has room for 800 words and runs out of space! Ha-Ha!

I take it they decided to leave it up to the reader. How does the Killing Joke fit in to continuity?

also in the Blackest Night/Brightest Day Green Lantern storyline, Swamp Thing is a White Lantern and they resurrect Alec Holland to turn him into a Black Lantern so they have Swamp Thing vs Swamp Thing

My library has the GL Blackest Night/Brightest Day TPB's too...well a few. I am not sure how many there are. Is it any good? Maybe after all these years I should check some DC comics out? hm

How does the Killing Joke fit in to continuity?

It lead to Barbara Gordon becoming Oracle for a few years. There was the Birds of Prey series that spun off to a tv show.

I believe she still has that roll in the Batman: Arkham Asylum/Arkham City games, hacking systems and providing data-feed to Batman, though she never appears.

Bop_oracle.jpgbirsdofprey2.jpg

A few months back, we were talking about the ending to KJ. From the first time I read it to this day, I never was under the impression that Batman killed him. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind until that thread.

The panel where it looks like he may be grabbing his neck, I always took as Batman slapping him on the shoulder. Nothing more than that.

And, as Barbara became Oracle as a direct result of the Joker paralyzing her, I don't even understand why people would think he killed him. Not to mention, it's way out of character for Batman.

My library has the GL Blackest Night/Brightest Day TPB's too...well a few. I am not sure how many there are. Is it any good? Maybe after all these years I should check some DC comics out? hm

I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't up to date with Green Lantern. I read the Adams/O'Neil run in the 70's, as i like Green Arrow, and decided to find a modern Green Lantern trade to see how it was and its pretty convoluted stuff.

There were 7 different coloured rings each representing an emotion (red is rage, blue is hope, orange is greed, indigo is compassion etc) and add to this the Black Lanterns which is fueled by death and brought back dead DC characters and White Lanterns are fueled by life. All in all this pretty much leads to every page looking like a rainbow threw up all over the place.

http://uweb.und.nodak.edu/~timothy.albrecht/war.jpg

i guess it wasn't for me, i do like the idea of the Black Lanterns though

I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't up to date with Green Lantern. I read the Adams/O'Neil run in the 70's, as i like Green Arrow, and decided to find a modern Green Lantern trade to see how it was and its pretty convoluted stuff.

There were 7 different coloured rings each representing an emotion (red is rage, blue is hope, orange is greed, indigo is compassion etc) and add to this the Black Lanterns which is fueled by death and brought back dead DC characters and White Lanterns are fueled by life. All in all this pretty much leads to every page looking like a rainbow threw up all over the place.

Yup, sounds like I should pass on GL! Sounds confusing.

Is the Joker still alive in the DC universe? How'd he play out after Kiling Joke?

So, I started volume 2 this morning of Swamp Thing. I have to say the forward by Neil Gaimen really has me excited to read this volume. By his forward it sounds like this volume will be better then the first.

For the folks that have read the run which is your favorite volume? Do you feel the run gets better or worse as it progresses?

Overall, I am glad I picked the books up......so far.

Since I have and have read the individual issues, I don't know which volume it is, but the "American Gothic" storyline is probably my favorite of the run. Issue # 60 still to this day remains the weakest to me as it is somewhat hard to grasp the story (more than most comics at least).

Yup, sounds like I should pass on GL! Sounds confusing.

Is the Joker still alive in the DC universe? How'd he play out after Kiling Joke?

So, I started volume 2 this morning of Swamp Thing. I have to say the forward by Neil Gaimen really has me excited to read this volume. By his forward it sounds like this volume will be better then the first.

For the folks that have read the run which is your favorite volume? Do you feel the run gets better or worse as it progresses?

Overall, I am glad I picked the books up......so far.

Joker was still alive after Killing Joke and is always alive as usual

the volumes progress well, there is no major dip in quality for me, some single issues i am not crazy about like #41 & #42 which i didn't feel suited the character and issuue #32 which was just wierd

Well I just finished volume 2 this morning. I have to say I enjoyed this volume more then the first. I espicially like annual 2, it was a fun, cool read for me. I liked how it used Deadman, Stranger, Spectre and the Demon all characters I have never read a thing on...well except for Demon from the prior volume.

The last issue "The rite to spring" was strange but good....the cover was great! From reading this issue I would guess Moore has dabled in acid/shrooms before! Ha-Ha! The trippy part of the story kinda bored me a bit. At first it was cool looking but then it went on for 6 pages....2-3 would have been enough in my opinion.

Anyway, looking forward to start volume 3 today. Oh one question is issue #33 (without the first and last few pages...the middle 8 I guess) a reprint of Swamp Thing's 1st appearance in House of Secrets?

#32 with them pogs or whatever I basically skimmed through since in the forward Gaiman said it was a filler issue. I started reading it but didn't like it so I skimmed it quickly...something I normally don't do!

Anyone else thinks 'ole Swampy looks like the Grinch who stole Christmas in his face??

Well I just finished volume 2 this morning. I have to say I enjoyed this volume more then the first. I espicially like annual 2, it was a fun, cool read for me. I liked how it used Deadman, Stranger, Spectre and the Demon all characters I have never read a thing on...well except for Demon from the prior volume.

The last issue "The rite to spring" was strange but good....the cover was great! From reading this issue I would guess Moore has dabled in acid/shrooms before! Ha-Ha! The trippy part of the story kinda bored me a bit. At first it was cool looking but then it went on for 6 pages....2-3 would have been enough in my opinion.

Anyway, looking forward to start volume 3 today. Oh one question is issue #33 (without the first and last few pages...the middle 8 I guess) a reprint of Swamp Thing's 1st appearance in House of Secrets?

#32 with them pogs or whatever I basically skimmed through since in the forward Gaiman said it was a filler issue. I started reading it but didn't like it so I skimmed it quickly...something I normally don't do!

Anyone else thinks 'ole Swampy looks like the Grinch who stole Christmas in his face??

its the nose

the pog issue should be left out for me, adds nothing to the lore at all

also get ready for Constantine in this volume

I just started reading this myself, thanks to tpbswap.

I've read the first issue so far and I'm very excited to read the whole six volumes.

I think there is still another copy of volume one on the tpbswap.com site. Surprised it hasn't been scooped up yet actually.