• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is undervalued today?

62 posts in this topic

Sgt Fury's are extremely undervalued across the board (except for #13), particularly given how scarce some of the earlier issues are in high grade. In low to medium grades, they go for peanuts.

So if you're asking what's undervalued so you can complete some runs cheaply, that's great.

That's not exactly the question I had in mind, but feel free to offer opinions on this too. I do collect runs, and I look for cool covers with interesting stories that I can pick up for less than 10 a pop in 6.0 or above. If anyone has any suggestions for runs that fill this bill let me know.

In OPG # 34 :

everything in the guide with a 9.2 price

all the Victorian and Platinum age comics listed

Conan the Barbarian 1-24

Action Comics 1

Detective Comics 27

All American 16-19

All-Flash Quarterly 1

Cerebus # 1

Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles 1,2,3,4 (first pr)

IN THE MARKET JUST IN GENERAL

Faust Premiere (black)

Cry For Dawn 1

Vortex # 2

Marvel Spotlight 5

Ghost Rider 1,2,20

Daredevil 138

Hero For Hire 1

AND OF COURSE

anything I am selling on eBay at any given moment! 27_laughing.gif

www.comics4kids.org

Sgt Fury's are extremely undervalued across the board (except for #13), particularly given how scarce some of the earlier issues are in high grade. In low to medium grades, they go for peanuts.

So true. A Sgt. Fury # 3 in CGC 7.0 albeit with Cream to Off-White Pages recently sold for just under 50% of guide in the most recent Heritage Amazing Comics Auction. I don't see this book offered very often in any grade, and it kills me to see a copy sell for so little money - especially since I didn't bid on it!

Tim, I just read that Doug Schmell is listing an uber run of Sgt. Fury's on Monday on pedigreecomics.com. I wonder if these are/were his beloved keepers, or if they are more duplicates.

Link to Scoop Article

Silver Age Thor's have been picking up recently, especially the JIM Thor's.

Daredevil, Sgt. Fury still cheap.Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish & Strange Tales still somewhat good deals too. What I have seen over the years is that, while one title moves up in value and becomes a little pricey, collectors look for the undervalued and begin to drive that item up. It's like climbing a ladder: you do it one foot after the other. Just MHO! juggle.gif

Yes, very true and a very astute observation. I believe this happens in the stock market as well, at least during a bull market. ASM and FF have done very well over the last few years leaving DD in the dust. DDs ARE looking cheap by comparison and will start to appreciate in coming years most likely faster than their ASM and FF counterparts. I don't collect FF but I have purchased alot of ASM and DD over the last few years. Nothing earth shattering but still some good stuff. I've already sold most of the ASM as logic tells me to "sell high" whereas I have not sold any DD recently and will not until I see expected value increases over the next couple years. ----Sid

Tim, I just read that Doug Schmell is listing an uber run of Sgt. Fury's on Monday on pedigreecomics.com. I wonder if these are/were his beloved keepers, or if they are more duplicates.

Link to Scoop Article

Hi Jim, yup, saw your post and have already responded to it. I'll be very interested to see the run, particularly if it features some of the Fury's that I've sold/traded to him this past year.

DDs ARE looking cheap by comparison and will start to appreciate in coming years most likely faster than their ASM and FF counterparts.

Actually, Silver-Age DD's have risen the most of any Marvel title over the past year. I think the main reason is that the later SA issues guide for so little, that when you see a 9.4 copy sell for less than $100, you have to realized that almost a third of the cost is GRADING FEES.

I do believe that ASM and FF will likely rise in price the least (along with X-Men) as these experienced very strong early runs ups. Plus, there is AMPLE supply of Silver-Age Spider-Man's available EVERYWHERE.

I do believe that ASM and FF will likely rise in price the least (along with X-Men) as these experienced very strong early runs ups. Plus, there is AMPLE supply of Silver-Age Spider-Man's available EVERYWHERE.

This statement completely negates the effect of demand, which is THE most important factor when determining the value of a collectable. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

do believe that ASM and FF will likely rise in price the least (along with X-Men) as these experienced very strong early runs ups. Plus, there is AMPLE supply of Silver-Age Spider-Man's available EVERYWHERE.

This statement completely negates the effect of demand, which is THE most important factor when determining the value of a collectable.

Demand is the most important factor. Yet, it seems that DEMAND is already through the roof on these books. Could it get hotter? Of course.

But here's the way I see it. There are only so many SA collectors at this time. And many have been trying to complete runs (or at least group of runs) from certain titles. Plus they have upgrade these runs.

Now which titles did they complete first and which titles have they been upgrading.

ASM, FF and X-MEN.

Therefore, these fairly big spenders are done with these titles and will move on to other titles (or not at all).

Lastly, while DEMAND is the most important, SUPPLY also clearly factors into the INCREASE in PRICE. ASM issues from #1 up are EVERYWHERE. If everytime a book sells, there is a replacement offered at or at slightly higher prices, it is less likely that you will see a HUGE price adjustment in the short term. On the other hand, if certain issues are only offered sporatically, there is a chance of seeing a HUGE jump in price from the previous sale. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pre-code keys including: Horrific #1-3, Mister Mystery, Weird Mysteries, Weird Chills, Voodoo Annual #1, Black Cat Mystery #50, etc.

Mac Raboy c/a on Master Comics (particularly #27, which isn't even broken out as a classic cover)

Power Pack 27 first wovie vs sabretooth fight (on cover )

Darth, you have talked about this book 100 times. The more I hear it the more I believe it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sorry.gif ... forum inside joke...

Yea I know, it just keeps getting funnier every time. insane.gif

On the other hand, if certain issues are only offered sporatically, there is a chance of seeing a HUGE jump in price from the previous sale.

It's a generalization to lump every issue of ASM in the "always available" catagory. There are certain issues in certain grades that almost never come up, and everytime they do a record is set. ASM #21, 23, 31, 44, 46, 55, 63, 80, 86, 89, 104, among others, almost never come up in 9.4+, or come up a lot less than surrounding issues. And when they do, records are set.

It's a generalization to lump every issue of ASM in the "always available" catagory. There are certain issues in certain grades that almost never come up, and everytime they do a record is set. ASM #21, 23, 31, 44, 46, 55, 63, 80, 86, 89, 104, among others, almost never come up in 9.4+, or come up a lot less than surrounding issues. And when they do, records are set.

A fair statement but you are talking about 9.4 or higher books.

So here's a comparison

ASM #21 guides for $575 and here's the census numbers (19) 9.0 (15) 9.2 (9) 9.4 and (4) 9.6 for a total of 47 issues graded 9.0 or above.

TTA #39 (which is probably the most common earlier issue) guides for $625 so in theory it would be submitted as much as there is value to having it certified.

(6) 9.0 (2) 9.2 (6) 9.4 (2) 9.6 for a total of 16 issues graded 9.0 or above (approximately 1/3 as many as ASM #21)

While I agree that ASM's demand far outweighs TTA's, there is also much greater supply. And my real point is that I believe many of the MAJOR Marvel Silver-Age collectors have already accumulated the best copies of ASM, FF and X-MEN for their collections. What they haven't always accumulated is the lesser titles, in the same grade ranges as ASM (i.e. they might say have a TTA but it's a 9.2, where as most of their ASM are 9.4's or 9.6's already).

Also everyone acknowledges that Hulk #181 and GS X-Men #1 are huge demand books, but the demand is already so high, and the supply is at least equal to the demand that prices have had a hard time increasing.

How about some of the comics with cameos that are actually the first appearances of key characters:

Incredible Hulk #180 (First Wolverine)

Uncanny X-Men #134 (First Dark Phoenix)

Or some of the What If? books that were either great standalone stories or trial balloons for events that ended up happening in Marvel continuity:

What If? #27 (Phoenix Had Not Died)

What If? #28 (Daredevil Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Miller art)

What If? #30 (Spider-Man's Clone Lived)

What If? #35 (Elektra Had Lived)

Just a few thoughts.