• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You think CGC will consider ever slabbing Original Art

58 posts in this topic

I think original art should be treated like regular artwork. You don't see Picasso paintings/prints getting slabbed. You frame them and do the legwork to prove the provenance.

+1

No original art collector wants their art reduced to anything resembling a vulgar commodity collectible.

145504.jpg.b6b841bd523adaf06e96f33a053cb7e5.jpg

I'd much rather see them slab pulps.

YES!!!!

Dan

I would think that the massive overhang that many pulps have would make a good deal of them not eligible for slabbing.

I don't see any reason for OA to ever be slabbed. The big thing about slabbing comics is it's supposed to guarantee you're getting what you're paying for.

IE condition, restoration, signature ect.

For published OA, most of the time you can figure out if it's legit or not pretty quickly.

This brings up an interesting question. Say you have a page of FF art signed by John Byrne. Obviously, that sig could not be verified by CGC, thus it would get a GLOD with a label notation stating "name, John Byrne, written on page", or something to that effect? (shrug)

I don't think one can grade OA. Some of it is very messy in person, but it served it's use when it was copied for printing. Bill Seinkieweiz (sp?) makes rain effects by inking panels black and then gouging an xacto blade thru them. I have several pieces of Howard Porter artwork from JLA, and they include whiteout and photocopied panels that have been glued on. I have read that Miller's Dark Knight art has a lot of glued on panels. So what would grading mean for OA?

I have all of my art in an artist presentation portfolio so I can flip through it whenever I want. All of my artwork slides into the pages so I may flip through it whenever I want to take a look. I do not have any comic pages on the wall.

Well maybe not neccessarily grade but at least slab. Great way to present/protect it.

I collect art and have to say, slabbing it makes absolutely no sense to me. They have these things called "artwork sized mylars". You can even get them in twice-up size. Now these things are pretty amazing, you can actually put your artwork in them. Yes, thats right, you put them in the mylar. They also make this other thing called a portfolio that you can actually put the artwork in the mylar inside of. This makes an sort of artwork book you can look through quite easily.

Now if you are a real rebel, you can try this new thing called a frame. This is something you can put a piece of artwork in and display it on a wall. I suspect they would be cheaper than the price of slabbing a piece of artwork.

:baiting:

lol

(thumbs u

Well maybe not neccessarily grade but at least slab. Great way to present/protect it.

I collect art and have to say, slabbing it makes absolutely no sense to me. They have these things called "artwork sized mylars". You can even get them in twice-up size. Now these things are pretty amazing, you can actually put your artwork in them. Yes, thats right, you put them in the mylar. They also make this other thing called a portfolio that you can actually put the artwork in the mylar inside of. This makes an sort of artwork book you can look through quite easily.

Now if you are a real rebel, you can try this new thing called a frame. This is something you can put a piece of artwork in and display it on a wall. I suspect they would be cheaper than the price of slabbing a piece of artwork.

:baiting:

I would much rather have a nice piece of art framed, using archival paper and museum glass...as opposed to a plastic slab 2c

These are the same plastic slabs that hold Multi-million dollar Comics, just sayin'. I totally understand the frame with museum glass thing but I could see OA being displayed in a slab as well IMO.

And would you be able to hang these slabs on the walls of your home to display the artwork?

Would the slabs look better than a high-quality frame??

The only time I would have liked some type of authentication is finding out if a page was inks over pencils or inks over blue line pencil (copy) since it's getting hard to tell.

Sometimes it's as easy as emailing an artists or the inker to confirm, but sometimes there's no way to get in touch with the artists to confirm.

The market for people who'd "slabb" OA is probably super tiny, if you're dropping hundreds of dollars on a one of a kind artwork, why slab it? It's already the only piece in existence if you want to display it put it in a frame or portfolio.

The only time I would have liked some type of authentication is finding out if a page was inks over pencils or inks over blue line pencil (copy) since it's getting hard to tell.

Sometimes it's as easy as emailing an artists or the inker to confirm, but sometimes there's no way to get in touch with the artists to confirm.

Because of the wide variety of tastes, there are usually collectors on the OA forum who can offer an informed opinion over such things.

Why grade OA? ???

Encapsulation would present the art nicely though. (thumbs u

Art in a CGC case can't even compare to OA in a nice frame.

Encapsulation would make it look worse.

Agreed.

Can you imagine CGC ever coming up with slabs to accommodate the different sizes of artworks?

beetle4.jpg

The Vault of Horror original has an image size of 18" x 13".

The Charlton action-line painting has an image size of 20" x 28".

You'd be talking m-I-g-h-t-y big slabs . . .

Imagine the weight of the slab

. . . which would need to be shipped carefully to avoid damage in transit . . .

Factor-in shipping charges and CGC fees . . .

Is all the (potential) hassle and expense worthwhile?