• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You think CGC will consider ever slabbing Original Art

58 posts in this topic

Well maybe not neccessarily grade but at least slab. Great way to present/protect it.

Slabbing anything does not protect it any better than a good mylar or a bag and a good backing board.

Why grade OA? ???

Encapsulation would present the art nicely though. (thumbs u

Art in a CGC case can't even compare to OA in a nice frame.

Encapsulation would make it look worse.

Slabbing/grading one of kind art makes no sense.

No one would spend less on an art page because it isn't in a 9.8 CGC OA holder.

Well maybe not neccessarily grade but at least slab. Great way to present/protect it.

I collect art and have to say, slabbing it makes absolutely no sense to me. They have these things called "artwork sized mylars". You can even get them in twice-up size. Now these things are pretty amazing, you can actually put your artwork in them. Yes, thats right, you put them in the mylar. They also make this other thing called a portfolio that you can actually put the artwork in the mylar inside of. This makes an sort of artwork book you can look through quite easily.

Now if you are a real rebel, you can try this new thing called a frame. This is something you can put a piece of artwork in and display it on a wall. I suspect they would be cheaper than the price of slabbing a piece of artwork.

:baiting:

I would much rather have a nice piece of art framed, using archival paper and museum glass...as opposed to a plastic slab 2c

I collect art and have to say, slabbing it makes absolutely no sense to me. They have these things called "artwork sized mylars". You can even get them in twice-up size. Now these things are pretty amazing, you can actually put your artwork in them. Yes, thats right, you put them in the mylar. They also make this other thing called a portfolio that you can actually put the artwork in the mylar inside of. This makes an sort of artwork book you can look through quite easily.

Now if you are a real rebel, you can try this new thing called a frame. This is something you can put a piece of artwork in and display it on a wall. I suspect they would be cheaper than the price of slabbing a piece of artwork.

I would much rather have a nice piece of art framed, using archival paper and museum glass...as opposed to a plastic slab 2c

These are the same plastic slabs that hold Multi-million dollar Comics, just sayin'. I totally understand the frame with museum glass thing but I could see OA being displayed in a slab as well IMO.

These are the same plastic slabs that hold Multi-million dollar Comics, just sayin'. I totally understand the frame with museum glass thing but I could see OA being displayed in a slab as well IMO.

I guarantee you that museum glass is less reflective and much better protection than a CGC slab....just sayin'.

Well there you go. lol

Yeah, I don't see any benefit to slabbing art from either the collector side or CGC's side.

Who would use this service? What's the point? A few people have said, and I agree, the "grade" of the art in inconsequential.

Slabbing anything does not protect it any better than a good mylar or a bag and a good backing board.

Sure it does! A slab is more rugged then a bag and back-board.

Example: If you dropped a bagged/boarded comic corner down you most likely get a impacted corner depending on distance.

If you drop a slabbed comic from the same height the worst that could happen is a cracked slab and maybe SCS, except for those rare cases the comic can come loose from the cover due to the slab clinging to the cover and the insides shifting.

I guarantee you that museum glass is less reflective and much better protection than a CGC slab....just sayin'.

+ a Kazillion

Dan

Sure it does! A slab is more rugged then a bag and back-board.

Example: If you dropped a bagged/boarded comic corner down you most likely get a impacted corner depending on distance.

If you drop a slabbed comic from the same height the worst that could happen is a cracked slab and maybe SCS, except for those rare cases the comic can come loose from the cover due to the slab clinging to the cover and the insides shifting.

Neither one is insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof and booth will keep the comic safe if handled within reasonably limits.

You don't get SCS with a Mylar / Fullback (which is how I store my raw books) so in one way you can say that Mylars have an advantage over slabs.

I realize this can be a circular discussion. My point is not to knock slabbing, it's to dispel the notion that once a book is slabbed it's 'safe'.

I don't see them ever developing slabs for OA. Now a sleeve or simply adhering the hologram and a barcode that might be a different story.

Don't they already do something like this? hm

Only small scale. If they were going to expand what they do now somehow to published pages sizes like the 11x17 that would be interesting.

As others have stated, it's just not very practical or necessary. Most OA collectors are already protecting their art with portfolios and frames. There is no benefit to "grading" the art for condition since it's one of a kind. As for the idea of verifying authenticity and uncovering forgeries, I don't see CGC becoming the authority on such matters (not unless they want to spend countless hours trying to track down the artworks provenance). Lastly there is the practical issue of OA dimensions being so inconsistent. Not everything is 11X17, some art is significantly smaller, some much bigger, some of the stuff got trimmed in production and some was just done on paper of an unusual size. I don't see how you can fit a piece of OA into a slab without - in many cases - a custom size being needed, which doesn't seem very cost effective. So in my humble opinion, no you will not see CGC ever slabbing comic book OA.

Why grade OA? ???

Encapsulation would present the art nicely though. (thumbs u

Art in a CGC case can't even compare to OA in a nice frame.

Encapsulation would make it look worse.

+1 got nice OA? Get a nice frame!

I don't see them ever developing slabs for OA. Now a sleeve or simply adhering the hologram and a barcode that might be a different story.

Only small scale. If they were going to expand what they do now somehow to published pages sizes like the 11x17 that would be interesting.

That would actually be very cool. I'd love to have some solid, rigid protection for OA that is a little more than a toploader, but also less than getting it framed. It will never happen, but still - a cool idea.

That would actually be very cool. I'd love to have some solid, rigid protection for OA that is a little more than a toploader, but also less than getting it framed. It will never happen, but still - a cool idea.

How expensive are those clear acrylic clipboards? Seems like an 11X17 with a low profile clip, coupled with another thin sheet of clear acrylic, could be used to hold and protect artwork. Or the clipboard could be any non-porous material, aluminum, whatever, as long as you had a thin clear sheet to go over the art and under the clip.

$(KGrHqRHJCQE+OGYDomFBQSf,zCQ0Q~~60_12.JPG

I don't see any reason for OA to ever be slabbed. The big thing about slabbing comics is it's supposed to guarantee you're getting what you're paying for.

IE condition, restoration, signature ect.

For published OA, most of the time you can figure out if it's legit or not pretty quickly.

Now, for sketches there is a market for that being slabbed already. With sketch covers and slabbed backing boards. I do think that has value with all the fake sketches that keep showing up.