• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Killing Joke prelim OA (Hakes)

13 posts in this topic

Saw two prelim pages from Killing Joke on Hakes, with the auction ending sometime next week. One of the pages is the Barbara Gordon opens door/Joker shoots/crash through coffee table. While completely recognizing the significance of the page, it just isn't the sort of thing I would bid on.

Same thing happened with the Damian/Robin impalement...when the page went up on ebay, it was significant, but just not appealing to me.

Or am I being too squeamish and missing the big picture?

Bob

Saw two prelim pages from Killing Joke on Hakes, with the auction ending sometime next week. One of the pages is the Barbara Gordon opens door/Joker shoots/crash through coffee table. While completely recognizing the significance of the page, it just isn't the sort of thing I would bid on.

Same thing happened with the Damian/Robin impalement...when the page went up on ebay, it was significant, but just not appealing to me.

Bob

I can completely sympathize.

I owned the torture pages from Walking Dead 33 and the Death of Lori and Judith Splash from Walking Dead #48, but I just couldn't keep them. It was just too much.

I was tempted a couple years back by two splash pages from Manhattan Projects: One was the death of FDR and the other Harry Truman in the midst of a Freemason meeting.

While both were significant to the book and I think excellently executed by Nick Pitarra, I couldn't bring myself to own either one. That was a conversation with The Boss that I didn't want to ultimately have. "You want to hang art showing a dead FDR in a wheelchair on the wall? Oh no no no...."

I understand what you guys mean. When I was trying to find a nice Hellblazer pages there quite a few "good" pages, but featured nudity, adult language and/or something just plain nasty. I finally found a page I would behaved itself enough (though I am still not going to be hanging it on my wall with 2 little girls in the house).

I agree to the extent that I would not want to hang a piece like that, (although I am sure there are plenty of people that would). On the other hand, that doesn't necessarily mean a piece like that doesn't have a place in my collection if it resonates. I had a similar conversation with Nexus once, and he made an excellent point. Not all pieces are destined for the wall, as no one has unlimited wall space. It's ok to have some pieces, (especially those of questionable subject matter), in a portfolio. They can still be enjoyed and admired.

Bob

I owned the torture pages from Walking Dead 33 and the Death of Lori and Judith Splash from Walking Dead #48, but I just couldn't keep them. It was just too much.

ironically, I just read that issue last night and man was it brutal. Definitely see what you mean. Although significant I dunno if I would be able to hang those scenes on my wall

I agree to the extent that I would not want to hang a piece like that, (although I am sure there are plenty of people that would). On the other hand, that doesn't necessarily mean a piece like that doesn't have a place in my collection if it resonates. I had a similar conversation with Nexus once, and he made an excellent point. Not all pieces are destined for the wall, as no one has unlimited wall space. It's ok to have some pieces, (especially those of questionable subject matter), in a portfolio. They can still be enjoyed and admired.

I do believe that, as a general idea. But I have to admit that for my own collection, I'm not big on these kind of pieces. It really depends on the piece.

Bob

That Lori/Judith splash is just awful, but man. Would love to own it.

Bob

ironically, I just read that issue last night and man was it brutal. Definitely see what you mean. Although significant I dunno if I would be able to hang those scenes on my wall

Not just the wall, just knowing they were in my portfolio started to get to me.

Bob

Not just the wall, just knowing they were in my portfolio started to get to me.

How did you feel about the pages the first time you saw them, and then acquire them?