• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four #67 (Copy G)

14 posts in this topic

In case you are wondering; no, I don’t have seven copies of this book, it’s just a progressive numbering system for all the copies I have had. :D

This one was my original copy, which I liked but at some point the bottom staple cleanly popped from the cover: an early Marvels defect I am cursed with.

I destapled the book at the bottom stapled and fixed the problem with a tiny piece of archival tape, so consider it as detached at the bottom staple.

It also has a small tear on the bottom, near the spine (in the back cover).

Covers are flat, no creasing.

Which grade would you assign?

(higher resolution images can be viewed by clicking on the pictures).

GxGvY4Nh.jpg

AGD0DuQh.jpg

I am not thinking about labels (who would CGC this book?) I just asked a grade estimation considering the bottom staple is popped (I put the archival tape just to keep it firm, but if one wants he can remove it, and as far as I get the new CGC rules about tape should allow minimal tape and do not treat it as restoration).

I thought the question was formulated clearly, but I try to be even more clear: how would you grade this book, considering the bottom staple is cleanly popped from cover? (Not "Qualified", a proper lower grade, i.e. 5.0 or whatever you deem appropriate). :)

ARK and Timern got it! (thumbs u

I am not thinking about labels (who would CGC this book?) I just asked a grade estimation considering the bottom staple is popped (I put the archival tape just to keep it firm, but if one wants he can remove it, and as far as I get the new CGC rules about tape should allow minimal tape and do not treat it as restoration).

I thought the question was formulated clearly, but I try to be even more clear: how would you grade this book, considering the bottom staple is cleanly popped from cover? (Not "Qualified", a proper lower grade, i.e. 5.0 or whatever you deem appropriate). :)

ARK and Timern got it! (thumbs u

Well thanks Claudio! I wasn't aware of the relaxed rule regarding archival tape allowing minimal tape. If that is the case then I would consider bumping the grade that I scored here to Blue Label 5.5 IMHO! (thumbs u

If I get it correctly, tape is now considered (in general) "as if it wasn’t there", i.e. if there is a 1" tear repaired with tape it is simply treated as a 1" tear.

I know that for a cleanly popped staple the grade should drop of about 2 units, so yes I was in the 5.0/5.5 range as well with my estimation.

I repaired it because I hate this defect but the other books I have with the same defect (which would have been high grade) I left without any repair, so if one wants to purchase them he’ll eventually decide if he likes to keep them as such or repair the staple "pop".

Well, first because I am in Italy and it’s unpractical, then I don’t collect CGC books (as I want to be free to read and browse them), and also, since I fixed the staple pop with archival tape, I guess it makes more sense to keep it raw.

It’s the lowest grade copy I have and I was going to include it in a low grade lot, so I just wished to assign an approximate effective grade (not "Qualified"). :)