• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When demand exceeds supply

114 posts in this topic

Wanted to gauge the public sentiment regarding this. When an issue is in high demand and someone opens a thread, how do you feel about people requesting multiple copies when the supply is limited? Granted the seller can place limits, thats beside the point. Simply from a buyer's perspective, do you think people should be somewhat considerate of others, or people should only look out for themselves?

Wanted to gauge the public sentiment regarding this. When an issue is in high demand and someone opens a thread, how do you feel about people requesting multiple copies when the supply is limited? Granted the seller can place limits, thats beside the point. Simply from a buyer's perspective, do you think people should be somewhat considerate of others, or people should only look out for themselves?

We're in the middle of a speculation craze. Expect the worst....

Doesnt really answer the question, I know it's going on, and it's something we deal with.

I wanted to get your thoughts on it. Don't care, people should consider others,?

I have 15 copies of your favorite comic thats on your list. Cant get it elsewhere. First in line buys 1 copy, second buys 3 copies, third person buys the rest. You were 4th "in-line" as it were. Are you pissed off or oh well, you missed it so what.

Well, it's a basic economic conundrum sometimes referred to as, "The law of the Commons" or "Tragedy of the Commons", and it depends if you believe that Adam Smith's concept of the "invisible hand" will equalize the market, or if you think the market should be regulated. :grin:

:facepalm:

I think you guys are missing the question

Your first post is poorly worded.

If someone is selling copies of a book on here and makes a for sale thread without stating a limit per person then nobody should be upset about anything. This is a marketplace, if someone wants to buy all the available stock then that's life.

Doesnt really answer the question, I know it's going on, and it's something we deal with.

I wanted to get your thoughts on it. Don't care, people should consider others,?

I have 15 copies of your favorite comic thats on your list. Cant get it elsewhere. First in line buys 1 copy, second buys 3 copies, third person buys the rest. You were 4th "in-line" as it were. Are you pissed off or oh well, you missed it so what.

The 3rd buyer now has 11 copies available. Just means I have to pay more for being too late. (shrug)

Obviously the original seller had the book priced too low.

If someone is selling copies of a book on here and makes a for sale thread without stating a limit per person then nobody should be upset about anything. This is a marketplace, if someone wants to buy all the available stock then that's life.

It's capitalism, doesnt matter if it's here or basically any other place that sells products.

With regards to your response, your absolutely right, it's life, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. People have the right to be upset, justified or not.

It's kinda like Apple when they have their new product release, some people buy 10-20 at a time. Doesnt mean the person whou couldnt get their phone for personal use isn't upset about.

The 3rd buyer now has 11 copies available. Just means I have to pay more for being too late. (shrug)

Touche, well played sir. But now we're approacihing the question if the 3rd buyer is greedy...

I get it, this is a forum for collectors, buyers, sellers, re-sellers, all of that. But you have to admit, the person who wants one for their collection could get upset if the person in front of them bought every issue to simply create a shortage and jack up the price.

I'm just wondering what the general publics opinion is of this.

It's capitalism, doesnt matter if it's here or basically any other place that sells products.

With regards to your response, your absolutely right, it's life, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. People have the right to be upset, justified or not.

It's kinda like Apple when they have their new product release, some people buy 10-20 at a time. Doesnt mean the person whou couldnt get their phone for personal use isn't upset about.

Of course it's annoying when flippers make the items you want more expensive. On the flip side....why are you buying books when they're 'hot'?

Touche, well played sir. But now we're approacihing the question if the 3rd buyer is greedy...

I get it, this is a forum for collectors, buyers, sellers, re-sellers, all of that. But you have to admit, the person who wants one for their collection could get upset if the person in front of them bought every issue to simply create a shortage and jack up the price.

I'm just wondering what the general publics opinion is of this.

The person who "wants one for their collection" should have wanted one for their collection before the book became 'hot'.

Gotta pays your money if ya wanna be one of the cool kids. :P

I answered your question, but I don't think you even read my post (shrug)

I did, and Hardin would say that the peson who bought up all the issues isn't really a nice person as they are putting the public at a disadvantage because they are only interested in their own motives. It was well said kind sir. Cheers to you

I'll let you know the next time I see someone with 15 copies of a book on my list that I can't get anywhere else. (shrug) This usually never happens. What happens more often is someone offers 15 copies of a book well below market value and someone buys them all before I can - disappointing? yes. Angry? Life's too short my man. The fast eat the slow.