• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can this be a 9.6 with this bad of a corner?

54 posts in this topic

it's probably the only flaw on that book. But, I certainly wouldn't be happy with that, but if the books truly is flawless, maybe.

I turned in a book recently with a flawless cover, expecting a 9.8. They found a flaw on the back, a slight stain I couldn't see in normal light. They knocked it all the way down to 8.5.

One flaw can be a doozy.

Besides, if this this can be a 9.4, I'd say yours is at least an 11.8.

Wowza, that TOS has gotta be in contention for the most overgraded 9.4 of all time. :o

That one seems inexplicable ....

I have seen the same thing before

I think it is consistent with CGC's standards

Same book published 10 years later, maybe it's a 9.4

Either that or the scan doesn't accurately represent the book. Many scanners have a hard time making the book look 100% accurate in my experience and blacks are often the worst.

Gotta go with Roy here, my initial thought was the scan wasn't 100% representative of the book, and corner dings are the worst to be accentuated. Even 9.8's aren't perfect. Depending on whether the " tire tracks " are on the book or not, looks like a CGC 9.6 to me.

Jim

I have seen the same thing before

I think it is consistent with CGC's standards

Same book published 10 years later, maybe it's a 9.4

Either that or the scan doesn't accurately represent the book. Many scanners have a hard time making the book look 100% accurate in my experience and blacks are often the worst.

Gotta go with Roy here, my initial thought was the scan wasn't 100% representative of the book, and corner dings are the worst to be accentuated. Even 9.8's aren't perfect. Depending on whether the " tire tracks " are on the book or not, looks like a CGC 9.6 to me.

Jim

Another thing to keep in mind is that the scan is HUGE - it's treasury edition sized! lol

A smaller scan that better represents the actual size of the book will diminish the defect as well.

I'm not saying it's a strong 9.6 (or what some of us might call a 9.7 'tweener') but It's not a 9.0 or a 9.2 IMO so obviously

a) they were a bit loose

b) the scanner doesn't tell the whole picture

c) a combination of both

And there's some more black ink transfer by the guys jawline.

Look closer, there's black ink all over that comic. Did someone run it over with a car?

if the tire tread could be tied back to the forklift at the printing plant that would categorize it as a production defect

Fugly corner no doubt. However, with the rest of the book looking as nice as it does, how should it grade?

17% agrees that this book should still be a 9.6? hm

Obviously, it's an inside job.

Fugly corner no doubt. However, with the rest of the book looking as nice as it does, how should it grade?

only because the apologists didn't have 9.8 to vote on

only because the apologists didn't have 9.8 to vote on

:lol: