• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An unsung hero: How Blade helped save the comic-book movie

50 posts in this topic

"Some motherf--kers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

No one could deliver that line like Wesley Snipes' Blade, the human-vampire hybrid who headlined three movies based on the Marvel Comics character who first appeared in The Tomb of Dracula in 1973. The first film was released in 1998, and unlike most in its genre, Blade had both style and substance. It was a combination that audiences responded to, making it Marvel's first theatrical success. Unfortunately, the film doesn't always get the credit it deserves. Most people thank X-Men (2000) or Spider-Man (2002) for kickstarting the current wave of superhero films, but it was Blade that laid the groundwork and helped rebuild the genre after some fatal blows.

http://www.blastr.com/2014-3-12/unsung-hero-how-blade-helped-save-comic-book-movie

I loved it and I am a huge TOD fan. I think the movie made Blade much bigger than the comic industry ever would have. I still love the scene in the club/ meat locker music rocking and Blade just kickin butt. Looks like I will be watching Blade this weekend lol.

"Some motherf--kers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

No one could deliver that line like Wesley Snipes' Blade, the human-vampire hybrid who headlined three movies based on the Marvel Comics character who first appeared in The Tomb of Dracula in 1973. The first film was released in 1998, and unlike most in its genre, Blade had both style and substance. It was a combination that audiences responded to, making it Marvel's first theatrical success. Unfortunately, the film doesn't always get the credit it deserves. Most people thank X-Men (2000) or Spider-Man (2002) for kickstarting the current wave of superhero films, but it was Blade that laid the groundwork and helped rebuild the genre after some fatal blows.

http://www.blastr.com/2014-3-12/unsung-hero-how-blade-helped-save-comic-book-movie

Wesley Snipes made that role work, too. Definitely worth watching!

Blade4Coming.jpg

Second-most unsung hero: Erik Selvig

He saved the world twice, and didn't even get any shwarma

And they made him look crazy :insane:

Potential super villain methinks.

That's a great point. The first Blade was really kinda awesome.

+1

I might fire it up tonight.

I liked all 3 movies but thought the 2nd film was the best. I thought Guillermo Del Toro brought something that was lacking from the other 2........

I remember when Blade came out and thinking about why Marvel made a Blade movie before everything?

The movie was great, but part 2 is the best of them all.

The second one *should* have been the best, with del Torro directing and the super-team Bloodpack, but nothing really worked for me and I found it an incredibly tedious and boring movie with virtually no plot. I blame the -script, not del Torro (who shined that turd up nice), and Goyer really mailed this one in.

Like I said before, take the fat farting guy out of Blade (who thought that gem up, Shane Black?) and it's a killer action movie with an opening sequence that is among the best ever filmed.

My favorite line, after Blade robs a vampire:

"How do you think that we fund this organization, huh? We're not exactly the March of Dimes."