• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Timeline with Guide Prices!

30 posts in this topic

This is very cool, sfilosa. It perfectly illustrates why I tend to shy away from buying ASMs. It's a great book, but I just feel as though I get more bang for my buck with the other titles. Your spreadsheet also shows what a terrific value DD represents as a solo hero title.

I think that Jim is talking about comics diversity as a collector asset. Amman you point is well made, but even in HG I think that there are times to buy and times to wait out the bubble. Even blue chippers suffer down turns and if you are in it for the long haul - diversifying your interests IMO will always save you money, sure there are those books that will never regress back to a certain point and you still might end up paying more, BUT on the whole even with ASM I think there are times whenyou need to assess the utility of your purchase. This mentality has saved me much more $$$ than its cost me.

I think that Jim is talking about comics diversity as a collector asset. Amman you point is well made, but even in HG I think that there are times to buy and times to wait out the bubble. Even blue chippers suffer down turns and if you are in it for the long haul - diversifying your interests IMO will always save you money, sure there are those books that will never regress back to a certain point and you still might end up paying more, BUT on the whole even with ASM I think there are times whenyou need to assess the utility of your purchase. This mentality has saved me much more $$$ than its cost me.

Are you a collector or an investor? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you a collector or an investor?

The one thing that people seem to forget, that even if you are MOSTLY a COLLECTOR, you don't want to pay $100 today to get a book that you can get for $80 next year. Most of us have limited resources, so we want to MAXIMIZE our FUNDS.

Most of us have SO MANY books that we want, that we can be somewhat choosey about our purchases. So many times, it seems like dealers get offended when you don't want to pay TOP DOLLAR for a book that you want. Well, there are LOTS of books that I want, and I factor in the price and future availablity of the book before I spend my money.

The one thing that people seem to forget, that even if you are MOSTLY a COLLECTOR, you don't want to pay $100 today to get a book that you can get for $80 next year. Most of use have limited resources, so we want to MAXIMIZE our FUNDS.

Exactly.

I'll say it again; any serious collector spending a notable amount of money on the hobby has to care somwhat about the amount of money they're spending, and the FMV of their collection at any given time. Like you said, it's about maximizing your resources so that you can buy more in the long run, and not making money as an "investor". I keep tabs on the value of my books, simply because I often sell books before or after a major purchase, to off-set the "damage".

If a serious collector claims that price, FMV, and a buying strategy aren't part of the hobby for them, they're either lying, or they have virtually unlimited resources at their disposal. And how many can really claim the latter?

If a serious collector claims that price, FMV, and a buying strategy aren't part of the hobby for them, they're either lying, or they have virtually unlimited resources at their disposal. And how many can really claim the latter?

I think that most collectors are concerned with the price and buying strategies to maximize their comic value but I do not think that many are concerned with knowing exactly how much their collection is worth. I might be wrong but I am one tough SOB when buying books but really do not keep track of its net worth.

think that most collectors are concerned with the price and buying strategies to maximize their comic value but I do not think that many are concerned with knowing exactly how much their collection is worth. I might be wrong but I am one tough SOB when buying books but really do not keep track of its net worth.

While I might be wrong, I would believe that those buying CGC books, would pay a little more attention to the values than those buying raw.

If I own a CGC 9.4 of a book and paid $200, and see another sell for $150 or $300, it makes a much bigger difference than if the book was raw. I can, to a certain degree, compare apples to apples with CGC and CAN NEVER compared apples to apples on raw books. More well known dealers (regardless that their grading is that accurate) books will sell for me, because of their name.

Just my take.