• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are creators careful when handling your books for signing

43 posts in this topic

When I had my Marvel GN of X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills signed by Chris Claremont on the interior, he opened that thing up all the way, creasing the outside cover and I was watching the glue/binding come away in strings/strands on the interior where he opened it.

I still have it, along with the X-Men #1s I had him sign on the interior opening splash page.

Good times!

-slym

Neal Adams grabbed my rare books with his thumb over the spine and bent them.

It was like when your girlfriend scrapes her teeth.... :ohnoez:

BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Awesome. (thumbs u

Your vacuum has teeth? Strange.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

AWESOME....ER.... (thumbs u (thumbs u

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What really sucked is that its the only one in the census and I think he knocked it down a grade by grabbing it like that....

How do you get mad at a genius? (shrug)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What really sucked is that its the only one in the census and I think he knocked it down a grade by grabbing it like that....

How do you get mad at a genius? (shrug)

I can't honestly say I would'nt stop giving a about book safety after my 200th signature. It would be like drunk sex. Sloppy, uncoordinated, stopping to take breaks cuz the room is spinning and then throwing up on her, but it's ok cuz she's passed out and you're at her place. Quickly down the fire escape, and after falling down two flights, BAM! you're home free!

....Ok, maybe it's only a little like drunk sex....

Stan Lee threw my Amazing Spiderman 1 to the side after he signed it like it just came off a rack at the 7-11.
I second this! Had the same thing happen to my ASM 1. Sure its not NM but its not falling apart either. Although I did go to a meet and greet that was started late and rushed to get everything signed, pictures, Q&A, stories. Still a great experience though

Maybe I should rename this thread Comic signing horror stories? Mine are prepped and ready to go and I'm genuinely excited to meet the creators as this is only my third convention due to being ill in the past. Id prefer to have a relaxed conversation with some of them but now I'm going to be worried at the same time about them creasing it or that they don't like that I prepared them. Seems like a catch-22 there. Plus I have a few books that I'm getting pressed that I'm receiving form joeypost when I get there that I need signed. Should be fun.... I'll let you guys know how it goes.. :wishluck:

Maybe I should rename this thread Comic signing horror stories? Mine are prepped and ready to go and I'm genuinely excited to meet the creators as this is only my third convention due to being ill in the past. Id prefer to have a relaxed conversation with some of them but now I'm going to be worried at the same time about them creasing it or that they don't like that I prepared them. Seems like a catch-22 there. Plus I have a few books that I'm getting pressed that I'm receiving form joeypost when I get there that I need signed. Should be fun.... I'll let you guys know how it goes.. :wishluck:

hope your not meeting Neal Adams...

he is a god who will crumple your treasure lol

This is just my opinion, but I think as a whole they don't seem to like that portion of the business/hobby . Some even seemed very annoyed when a collector had their book prepped for a signature.

If you look at it from their side can you blame them? They may have a long line of fans who really want to talk to them, get a sketch, thank them or make a memory. Then some guy shows up with a stack of prepared books and plops them down in front of them. To each their own for collecting, but it kills the usual interaction.

Also, from my anecdotal observations, the people with prepared books tend to be very disinterested in everything accept how the creator handles the book.

I agree I have seen it up close a couple of times.

I

This is just my opinion, but I think as a whole they don't seem to like that portion of the business/hobby . Some even seemed very annoyed when a collector had their book prepped for a signature.

If you look at it from their side can you blame them? They may have a long line of fans who really want to talk to them, get a sketch, thank them or make a memory. Then some guy shows up with a stack of prepared books and plops them down in front of them. To each their own for collecting, but it kills the usual interaction.

Also, from my anecdotal observations, the people with prepared books tend to be very disinterested in everything accept how the creator handles the book.

I agree I have seen it up close a couple of times.

I think its a good thing to have a question or conversation point prepared for small talk while he's signing so they know you're really a fan (even if you aren't). Like ask Neal Adams why he only did a few Avengers or X men titles or Thor titles. Ask him which Bat-Villain was the toughest to draw or something. It makes your experience unique, and hopefully for the artist too. You wouldn't believe how much Steve Englehart had to say about ZZyzzzxxx

That's a great idea. Also you could ask them to make sure they run the sharpie right over the color touched spots, if you don't really know who they are and have nothing else to ask them.

lol, I like it!

Dan Slott doesn't like signing the Ditko variant of ASM #700 as he is aware of its value,(admittedly not as much as it was) and is scared of damaging it. He is a fanboy a heart and has some understanding of the collector mentality.

I've posted this before, but here is my copy of ASM 238. While the book was originally a 9.6 as it is now, you might notice that Stan Lee signed right over top of Roger Stern. The book is signed by John Romita and John Romita Jr too. It has sort of grown on me as sort of a neat little thing to tell and point out, but it still really bothers me. I'm a collector so I didn't buy it and get it signed to flip.

a677fcbb-5c36-4367-a260-f785efa00214_zpsed313f01.jpg