• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World...Philly: Questions:

18 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have yet to have a chance to get to a 'Wizard World' convention and was advised that aside from SDCC this would be one of the best events for me to go to as I have never been to a MAJOR comic book convention before. I wanted to go the last few years, but something always got in the way. Last year I was very sick and was diagnosed with Celiac Disease so that pretty much killed any travel plans I had while I awaited my diagnosis and my recovery (which is still slow and ongoing). By the way, if anyone has any questions about Celiac Disease I would be happy to help as I am lucky to have been diagnosed when I was (long story short, they originally thought I had a severe liver/biliary duct disease-it was not [thank God]; it was Celiac).

Is Wizard World Philly a good event in this regard? Are there toy dealers there as well? I collect high grade AFA graded toys so I was hoping to interact with fellow toy dealers as well.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I have stopped going to WW Philly after 10 years or so of attendance. Make the drive to NYCC, it is leaps and bounds a better show. If someone advised you to go to a Wizard show I think they work for Wizard. So many better cons out there.

I love WWPA, I have attended almost every years for the past 6 years. It is my favorite show, but mostly because it's one of the first shows of the year. I feel like I always walk out of that show with some great buys.

I will NEVER go to NYCC again. It's a zoo, it takes hours to go anywhere, going in and out is a hassle, and it is essentially the same dealers as WWPA.

I love WWPA, I have attended almost every years for the past 6 years. It is my favorite show, but mostly because it's one of the first shows of the year. I feel like I always walk out of that show with some great buys.

I will NEVER go to NYCC again. It's a zoo, it takes hours to go anywhere, going in and out is a hassle, and it is essentially the same dealers as WWPA.

I pretty much agree with this.

Hello All,

I have yet to have a chance to get to a 'Wizard World' convention and was advised that aside from SDCC this would be one of the best events for me to go to as I have never been to a MAJOR comic book convention before. I wanted to go the last few years, but something always got in the way. Last year I was very sick and was diagnosed with Celiac Disease so that pretty much killed any travel plans I had while I awaited my diagnosis and my recovery (which is still slow and ongoing). By the way, if anyone has any questions about Celiac Disease I would be happy to help as I am lucky to have been diagnosed when I was (long story short, they originally thought I had a severe liver/biliary duct disease-it was not [thank God]; it was Celiac).

Is Wizard World Philly a good event in this regard? Are there toy dealers there as well? I collect high grade AFA graded toys so I was hoping to interact with fellow toy dealers as well.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Sorry to hear about the Celiac. My wife has the same; we're old pros at it so if you have any questions or anything, please feel free to give a shout. And I like NYCC - it can get crazy crowded, but so much to do and so many great guests, and NYC is always a great place to visit (with tons of gluten-free food options).

The best thing about WW Philly is that it's my home show. It's also in a great city with a lot to offer in the way of food, culture, history, sports, and architecture away from the convention center. The nearby shows of Baltimore and Reed New York are better comic shows in that they have more dealers and more interesting comic-related activities.

WW Philly is awful. The worst "big show" I have ever attended. The food is good at the station, but the show doesn't even rate as average.
Go to WWohio, WWNYC. And the terminal market is the BEST!

Been to both. WWNYC had the most dealers. I hate Ohio, period. Show or no show.

I would go to Baltimore Comic Con over WW Philly. And that's coming from someone who lives down the street from the Philly convention center.

WW Philly had a decent amount of comic book dealers, but artist alley has slim pickings for bigger names. Toys seemed a little overpriced, but I don't know that much about them. If you want Harry Potter or Doctor Who costumes, Breaking Bad prints or Funko Pop toys, then they have plenty of that.

WWPhilly is ok. The positives are CGC onsite grading and it's far larger than other Philly shows. The negative is that it doesn't have many comic creators and instead has tons of "B" level celebrities.

Baltimore is another local show and is far better. Many more comic creators, comic dealers, and toy dealers. Comic creators are the celebrities at this show. The negative is no onsite grading.

I usually attend both, but if I could only do one it would be Baltimore hands down.

Thanks for all the replies and for those that commented and messaged me about Celiac Disease, I greatly appreciate your support.

Does WW Philly have any vintage toy dealers?

Any advise is appreciated.

Kindly,

'Mint'

Thanks for all the replies and for those that commented and messaged me about Celiac Disease, I greatly appreciate your support.

Does WW Philly have any vintage toy dealers?

Any advise is appreciated.

Kindly,

'Mint'

Yes. There have been vintage toy dealers in the past.

However, there are usually more toy dealers selling recent toys (last ten years, current stuff, and early releases).

Sad to hear mostly negative comments about WW-Philly. It used to be a great show, and was my favorite one of the year back in the boards early days.

The first forum dinner was at WW-Philly.