• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best high-value short-term flip potential?

136 posts in this topic

IMO the answer to this question is pretty simple. It's not about the title or issue (as who can tell where these will be in 3 years), you can buy any issue at all as long as you simply BUY LOW and SELL HIGH.

To do this you need to keep on top of the very latest market sales and then work hard to find spreads on those books from various sources. You also need to move the book you have purchased whilst the spread is still relevant. (not just sit on it for a pre-ordained period of time as this speculator is suggesting).

Keep working these spreads, BUYING LOW and SELLING HIGH and you cannot fail. Of course this demands a lot of hard work, and a genuine interest in the hobby. If this investor does not have these two pre-requisites it will be much harder for him to make a profit. thumbsup2.gif

However, if I had a choice between an 8.0 rare Superman GA book, and a 9.9 copy of ASM #238, I would definitely buy Superman book.

That's great, but for the "Best high-value short-term flip potential", you will have done EXACTLY the wrong thing. Long-term? I agree with you. Short term? Churn and burn, baby.

However, if I had a choice between an 8.0 rare Superman GA book, and a 9.9 copy of ASM #238, I would definitely buy Superman book.

That's great, but for the "Best high-value short-term flip potential", you will have done EXACTLY the wrong thing. Long-term? I agree with you. Short term? Churn and burn, baby.

Agreed.

Hi guys, newby here, having lurked for about a week.

A few points:

1) If this guy is going to put $10K into a little pamphlet that will sit on a shelf for 2-3 years, then that $10K is disposable, or he wouldn't even be contemplating it. Unless he's a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

2) As an experiment, why not put $2K into stocks, $2K into comics, $2K into gold, $2K into conservative bonds, and the last $2K on something else - then when the time is up, see which approach proved most profitable.

3) Along the lines of the poster who suggested a comics investment index, I've always thought that some collectors ought to form some sort of investment club: members pool their money and vote on what to spend it on, with each dollar invested getting one voting share. New members have to be voted on, people wishing to get out face a penalty, rules are put in place so nobody can pour too much money in & take over, etc. If nothing else, it would a a fun endeavor. (Until everybody lost money, and the recriminations start.)

3) Along the lines of the poster who suggested a comics investment index, I've always thought that some collectors ought to form some sort of investment club: members pool their money and vote on what to spend it on, with each dollar invested getting one voting share. New members have to be voted on, people wishing to get out face a penalty, rules are put in place so nobody can pour too much money in & take over, etc. If nothing else, it would a a fun endeavor. (Until everybody lost money, and the recriminations start.)

27_laughing.gif

So true!

Welcome to the Boards! smile.gif

Hi guys, newby here, having lurked for about a week.

A few points:

1) If this guy is going to put $10K into a little pamphlet that will sit on a shelf for 2-3 years, then that $10K is disposable, or he wouldn't even be contemplating it. Unless he's a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

2) As an experiment, why not put $2K into stocks, $2K into comics, $2K into gold, $2K into conservative bonds, and the last $2K on something else - then when the time is up, see which approach proved most profitable.

welcome!!

as for suggestion #2, that just brings us full circle to the primary question posed here: "What comics to buy." The original figure was 10K and your scenario merely reduces the buy to 2K. Its STILL which comics to buy??

2) As an experiment, why not put $2K into stocks, $2K into comics, $2K into gold, $2K into conservative bonds, and the last $2K on something else

An REIT thumbsup2.gif

You really think real estate is going to do well in the next few years with rising rates? confused-smiley-013.gif Seems, like things are slowing (maybe not everywhere, but overall).

2) As an experiment, why not put $2K into stocks, $2K into comics, $2K into gold, $2K into conservative bonds, and the last $2K on something else

An REIT thumbsup2.gif

You really think real estate is going to do well in the next few years with rising rates? confused-smiley-013.gif Seems, like things are slowing (maybe not everywhere, but overall).

Actually, I don't at all. Especially in my neck of the woods.

But, the point of the proposed experiment was to put equivalent cash out of the hypothetical $10,000 portfolio into several different asset classes to see which would perform best. To me the obvious, in terms of being most interesting, choice for the fifth after stocks, bonds, gold and comics was real estate.

The thumbsup2.gif was in reference to it's logical place in the experiment and not any sort of buy recommendation.

Clobberintime probably has the most expertise in this area (Bankruptcy).

I am talking about the breach of fiduciary duty claims! Let Clobberintime be debtor's counsel and deal with the bk admin garbage. tongue.gif

Hi again all, thanks for the welcomes.

Yeah, I'd like for somebody to start such an investment club and make all the transactions public on a board like this. Not that I would want MYSELF to join - I just want to watch the fun.

On the original question, one could also take a multi-level approach to that: $2K in a single vintage book; $2K in several HG Silver Age issues; $2K in HG Bronze; $2K in speculating on 1-10 new 'hot' books; and the final $2K in something else.

(How about Stan Lee's new company? Its shares are about $.85. If all of us pitch in and buy a shi*tload of them, the price would go up, maybe a few Wall Street lemmings would follow our lead and buy into it, and then we could unload our own shares at a profit. Though of course half of us would find a way to screw over the other half - selling early or something.)

One last thing: chrisco37, could you PLEASE change that sig pic of yours? That damn face is burning itself into my brain!