• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best high-value short-term flip potential?

136 posts in this topic

I'm certain this question has been asked before, but as the nature of the market changes, I figured I'd ask it again.

I have a friend from outside comics who approached me and asked what one book, in the 10k range, would be the best 2-3 year flip candidate. As I've never had to put thought into spending that kind of cash on a book, I'm not sure I'm able to give the best answer. Being from inside comics, I'd be partial to books that mean something to me, AF 15 or ASM 1 in particular. As I've never really flipped books, I thought it worth asking those that have (and maybe are used to being impartial about such things).

Thanks!

Hmmm...given the probable dip in comic prices at some point during that 2-3 year time period you mention given the historical parallel precedent for certified collectibles in the coin and card hobbies...which comics that I think are a great investment even during tough times would I most like to generate some competition for by posting about them here on the forums? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll have to get back to you on this one! flowerred.gif

Anyone who has a really good answer to this question would be a damned fool to answer it in a public forum, unless they only spent their time and expertise on the question as an intellectual exercise. The LAST thing someone with ideas like this wants is competition.

Anyone who has a really good answer to this question would be a damned fool to answer it in a public forum, unless they only spent their time and expertise on the question as an intellectual exercise. The LAST thing someone with ideas like this wants is competition.

My assumption was that the number of people who have opinions on the subject and don't have a spare $10,000 to invest would outnumber those who do have the cash laying around. Even on this board. And while the thoughts of those who actually throw that sort of cash around are to be paid more attention, it doesn't mean everyone else's ideas are [#@$%!!!].

For short investments, I would look to Hollywood superhero movies. Once the Iron Man, Captain America, Thor or Sub Mariner movies come out, then the first appearances for these characters are sure to go up in value. Tales of Suspense #39, Iron Man #1, Sub Mariner #1, Journey into Mystery #83, etc. in high grade are sure to go up in value once the movies come out. Same thing with early Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman books. Once the movies come out, the hype generated would be a good short term investment. I would sell a few months before the movie hits theaters, since buyers are paying premiums in anticipation for the movie's success. However, once the movie is out, then the fandom fades, and the prices start dropping (a la Amazing Spider-Man #129 with the Punisher). Don't buy Fantastic Four since the buzz has already hit the market place and the prices have already soared for this title. Since most non-traditional comic book collectors have already become familiar with Spider0Man, X-Men, Daredevil and the Hulk, don't expect another movie to make a huge impact on their first appearances.

Check out this website for upcoming comic book movie news: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/

My assumption was that the number of people who have opinions on the subject and don't have a spare $10,000 to invest would outnumber those who do have the cash laying around. Even on this board. And while the thoughts of those who actually throw that sort of cash around are to be paid more attention, it doesn't mean everyone else's ideas are [#@$%!!!].

I'm just speaking in general terms, basically in relation to "what's all the flip talk about." Whenever someone asks a question like this I feel like typing something similar. I chose today to do it. I didn't really even look at the specifics of your question (which due to the longer time frame, in my mind, isn't about flipping at all.)

Also, if you have to ask about what books to flip you should not be even thinking about putting any money into comics with the idea of returning a profit.

This is incredibly true for many, many reasons. That doctor who had a dealer buy the huge Spidey run that he flipped at EXACTLY the wrong time in ENTIRELY the wrong way and lost $100K to $200K is a great example. If you aren't watching the market closely, you can easily lose wads of money even on titles and issues which are normally the best market performers.

For short investments, I would look to Hollywood superhero movies. Once the Iron Man, Captain America, Thor or Sub Mariner movies come out, then the first appearances for these characters are sure to go up in value. Tales of Suspense #39, Iron Man #1, Sub Mariner #1, Journey into Mystery #83, etc. in high grade are sure to go up in value once the movies come out. Same thing with early Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman books. Once the movies come out, the hype generated would be a good short term investment. I would sell a few months before the movie hits theaters, since buyers are paying premiums in anticipation for the movie's success. However, once the movie is out, then the fandom fades, and the prices start dropping (a la Amazing Spider-Man #129 with the Punisher). Don't buy Fantastic Four since the buzz has already hit the market place and the prices have already soared for this title. Since most non-traditional comic book collectors have already become familiar with Spider0Man, X-Men, Daredevil and the Hulk, don't expect another movie to make a huge impact on their first appearances.

Check out this website for upcoming comic book movie news: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/

Geez you guys, this is the first person who answered the question (so far, as I write this). Instead of trying to make somebody sound foolish for wanting to make a 2-3 year comic investment, let's assume the guy KNOWS the risks, or at least learns about them from others before diving in. If somebody already has an invesment portfolio of $500,000 and wants to make a 10K investment in comics for a little excitement, then why not?

Personally I don't have a clue as my expertise is based off of much more inexpensive comics, but I imagine this question is asking people that do have experience in this area. And there are many here that do. It just sounds cocky to me when I hear all this negativity and "know-it-all" attitude when a serious question like this is asked. And considering the way the stock market has been, this kind of investment doesn't seem any riskier. Not everybody has the patience to deal with real-estate either, so investing in high quality comics is not a bad option for a small part of a portfolio, especially if smartly invested for the short/mid term. IMO as always. ----Sid

Instead of trying to make somebody sound foolish for wanting to make a 2-3 year comic investment, let's assume the guy KNOWS the risks, or at least learns about them from others before diving in.

Who asking a question like this knows the risks? Almost nobody.

I didn't notice anyone posting with the obvious intention of making somebody sound foolish. confused-smiley-013.gif

Instead of trying to make somebody sound foolish for wanting to make a 2-3 year comic investment, let's assume the guy KNOWS the risks, or at least learns about them from others before diving in.

Who asking a question like this knows the risks? Almost nobody.

I didn't notice anyone posting with the obvious intention of making somebody sound foolish. confused-smiley-013.gif

It sure looks that way to me, I guess we read things differently.

The question posed to me was :

"I am trying to think of a vehicle that will outperform a cd/money fund over the same amount of time and I thought I'd investigate comics."

My initial thought was ToS 39. My 2nd thought was, well, if *I* can think of ToS 39, surely those with the money have already moved on something like this. I think if it was my cash, I'd be concerned about moving items quickly when the time to sell came, so my 2nd bit of advice was ToS 40-45. Still highly sought after, but likely easier to move with the smaller prices meaning more potential buyers.

Getting to what most of you are saying, though, my final bit of advice will probably be to invest elsewhere. After 20 years reading and collecting I am not entirely sure how to answer his question. And if someone with my amount of knowledge, relative to someone from outside the hobby, can't answer quickly, then it might be best to invest elsewhere.

Doesn't mean I didn't want to think it over though. juggle.gif