• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 45 vs.46

33 posts in this topic

So I've wondered about this for a while now.

FF 45 is listed as the first Lockjaw and Inhumans

46 is the First FULL appearance of BlackBolt and the Inhumans with the First Blackbolt Cover

When it comes to this, which issue do you think is more valuable? I was going to ask "better" but that could get into the actually story aspect. From a value/significance stanpoint, which issue would you prefer?

I know there was the first appearance vs full appearance thread, I'm asking specifically about these 2 issues, not first appearances in general.

45 is more valuable than 46 by a landslide. GPA at 9.0 is around $900 for a 45 and around $260 for a 46. Both of these books have seen a recent surge in value but 45 has always been considered tougher in high grade and the more valuable key of the 2.

45 is more valuable than 46 by a landslide. GPA at 9.0 is around $900 for a 45 and around $260 for a 46. Both of these books have seen a recent surge in value but 45 has always been considered tougher in high grade and the more valuable key of the 2.

Thats what I see as well, but it doesn't make sense to me. Granted only 5 responses thus far but the majority like 46 better. The significance of the First BlackBolt cover and the first FULL appearance would also tell me that 46 should be the more valuable. :shrug:

Thats what I see as well, but it doesn't make sense to me. Granted only 5 responses thus far but the majority like 46 better. The significance of the First BlackBolt cover and the first FULL appearance would also tell me that 46 should be the more valuable. :shrug:

It makes sense to me but I'm probably biased, 45 has always been my favorite silver age marvel. A lot of it probably comes down to scarcity in high grade. The book is just a lot harder to find in decent shape. Plus Black Bolt makes a cameo appearance in #45 and the rest of the team had already appeared previously or in this issue, so #45 really is the first time the "Inhumans" appeared as an entity. I'm a big inhumans fan and I've owned several high grade copies of both - the 46 was always a little more affordable in general. Taking a look at the CGC census for the numbers, only 8 copies have ever certified in better than NM on 45 while 25 have graded higher than NM on 46. Additionally, there are 43 9.4s of #46 and only 16 of #45. The rarity in the nose bleed grades causes the lower grade examples to be more desirable because for the most part, that is the best many collectors can hope to own.

It makes sense to me but I'm probably biased, 45 has always been my favorite silver age marvel. A lot of it probably comes down to scarcity in high grade. The book is just a lot harder to find in decent shape. Plus Black Bolt makes a cameo appearance in #45 and the rest of the team had already appeared previously or in this issue, so #45 really is the first time the "Inhumans" appeared as an entity. I'm a big inhumans fan and I've owned several high grade copies of both - the 46 was always a little more affordable in general. Taking a look at the CGC census for the numbers, only 8 copies have ever certified in better than NM on 45 while 25 have graded higher than NM on 46. Additionally, there are 43 9.4s of #46 and only 16 of #45. The rarity in the nose bleed grades causes the lower grade examples to be more desirable because for the most part, that is the best many collectors can hope to own.

Amen

They're both cool books with great stories and Kirby art, and the cover to 45 has the neat dark purple background, but the cover to 46 is a classic, and the book has more room to appreciate in value than 45.

Amen

+1

45 is one of the hard to find non-early SA FFs in high grade.

46 not so much.

Miss my old copy :cry:

Miss my old copy :cry:

I miss mine too! And mine was a mere 9.0! I also miss my #46 9.4 but not nearly as much :)

since 44 is first mention of the inhumans that should be first inhumans. thats when the concept of inhumans, of which medusa was a part, started.

ps did they ever explain how medusa went from bad to good? ive reread my FF's and dont see exactly how that happened.