• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA question

34 posts in this topic

I haven't been at this as long as Roy, but can remember bringing a similar argument to bear a year or so ago. I ended up feeling like it was a waste of time, so hopefully i can prevent you from ending up with a similar fate.

Bottom line is that:

1) some dealers believe holding their sales data gives them a marketplace edge

2) some dealers want to post data selectively (which i didn't think GPA allowed)

3) some dealers don't mind contributing, but it's too much work.

GPA is a tool, and a good one at that. I've got a lot of respect for George and what his organiztaion does - because especially for the wannabee-informed neophyte in this space, there's great data there.

Big picture, i think a wider set of data in GPA helps the investment side of the hobby more than the collecting side....

Joey

What's preventing the folks (making money) at GPA from culling the information from the less (or non) cooperative sources themselves?

Are you asking why doesnt GPA pull publicly posted data from non-participating sites (like CLink, Pedigree, etc) and use it in their metadata?

1. The sales data is the property of the sale/auction host (since they hosted the transaction). GPA could be sued if they posted that data since they do not own the right to profit from it.

Or, for that matter, from verifiable board sales, too.

The looser GPA is with what data they accept, the more likely we see market manipulation.

If they can't do this, why can't some enterprising geek come along and beat them at their own game.

Comes down to a mix of accuracy and availability. The remaining accurate data (CLINK, Pedigree) is not available, and the remaining available data (message board sales, dealer sales) lacks accuracy (or at least has a greater chance for inaccuracy/manipulation). [/quote

]It just seems odd to me that sales data can be made known to the public, but not become part of the public record.

As far as market manipulation, you don't think Bob Overstreet did that for years?

GPA is not a public record, it's a private record used for profit.

And while I dont think or know if Bob Overstreet himself manipulated price reporting to his benefit, I assume that some of the Dealers who submitted market prices for the guide did. Granted that effect was mitigated by the volume of information provided, but yes Im sure there was manipulation.

thus why I like GPA better, even though it is not perfect either.

I think what Weird Paper meant, and I may be wrong, about the public data was not that GPA data is public but the original auction data itself is public. I can, for example, go to CLink and search and see that a Doctor Strange #169 9.4 sold for $765 on 2/10/14. Or at least shows Sale Pending, but we all know that could have been anytime or maybe even not at all with CLink. I know, however, that this was in the Feb auction, and you can get this data from the sight without a login. I know some giant retailers have tried suing some aggregate sights in the past for posting say Black Friday prices for example but I don't know what the outcomes of those suits were. The legality of taking this data and doing something with it is a whole other topic.

Maybe what GPA could do would be to have verified and none verified data. You could then choose if you wanted to see both or one or the other. It would be interesting to see how much average prices for certain books moved with as much data being pulled as possible.

1. The sales data is the property of the sale/auction host (since they hosted the transaction). GPA could be sued if they posted that data since they do not own the right to profit from it.

Nope. Same issue the Courts wrestled with following the inception of phone books, almost exactly. Pretty much the opposite of what you are suggesting.

Nope. Same issue the Courts wrestled with following the inception of phone books, almost exactly. Pretty much the opposite of what you are suggesting.

hm. So you're saying a decent scraping program and we COULD get Clink and other data inclined in GPA?

I love being wrong when it means learning something new!

hm. So you're saying a decent scraping program and we COULD get Clink and other data inclined in GPA?

No clue. You do the speculating for me. Just speaking to your assertion regarding the liability of suit by way of publishing that particular data source.

What's preventing the folks (making money) at GPA from culling the information from the less (or non) cooperative sources themselves?

Are you asking why doesnt GPA pull publicly posted data from non-participating sites (like CLink, Pedigree, etc) and use it in their metadata?

Or, for that matter, from verifiable board sales, too.

The looser GPA is with what data they accept, the more likely we see market manipulation.

If they can't do this, why can't some enterprising geek come along and beat them at their own game.

Comes down to a mix of accuracy and availability. The remaining accurate data (CLINK, Pedigree) is not available, and the remaining available data (message board sales, dealer sales) lacks accuracy (or at least has a greater chance for inaccuracy/manipulation).

It just seems odd to me that sales data can be made known to the public, but not become part of the public record.

As far as market manipulation, you don't think Bob Overstreet did that for years?

Nope. I don't think he did.

That was my point exactly when I discussed it. I was trying to work with GPA to get more data on record.

I`m of the mind set that more info is better because anybody with half a brain will be able to disseminate what is an outlier and what is real.

Instead I was torn a new behind and accused of having a personal agenda. So now this is what we have, for better or for worse.

Discern? hm

No clue. You do the speculating for me. Just speaking to your assertion regarding the liability of suit by way of publishing that particular data source.

but you are saying that their T&C statement

"All images, descriptions, sales data, and archival records are the exclusive property of ComicLink"

is toothless?

Looking over their site, I don't see any copyright claims being made other than to the name "ComicLink" and trademark claims to a couple of things. Don't know whether they have the ability to block someone using their auction results.

Probably a question that would have come up (and been resolved) years ago with respect to the big art auction houses.

"All images, descriptions, sales data, and archival records are the exclusive property of ComicLink"

is toothless?

Put it on your website and then go stand by the mailbox and wait for the lawsuit. Let us know how it all turns out.

Or google Supreme Court and phone books and data collection.

Whatever blows your hair back.

is toothless?

Missed that. Seems they are making a claim to their data.