• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA question

34 posts in this topic

Wow. Any way to see past comiclink sales?

Sure, check their site after auctions and make notes.

That works and if they have a sale they're rather proud of, they'll leave it up on the exchange for months...(as pending)

years even :/

Pedigree no longer does. Comic Connect selectively reports from what I understand.

(thumbs u

Selective reports would seemingly skew an already incomplete record of what slabbed books are actually selling for.

I think the one thing that a lot of people miss is that information is power.

The more you know, the better off you are versus competitors. If you know the market, you don't need GPA.

Couple that with the small % of people who actually know of or use GPA, it really doesn't matter if the companies in question report to GPA. They're not actively hiding their sales (some actively advertise them ---> :hi: ComicLink) so the information is out there. Just not in a packaged website like GPA.

What's preventing the folks (making money) at GPA from culling the information from the less (or non) cooperative sources themselves? Or, for that matter, from verifiable board sales, too. If they can't do this, why can't some enterprising geek come along and beat them at their own game. Not to be ignorantly critical, but they currently seem to just be the best of a batch of poor or incomplete options.

What's preventing the folks (making money) at GPA from culling the information from the less (or non) cooperative sources themselves? Or, for that matter, from verifiable board sales, too. If they can't do this, why can't some enterprising geek come along and beat them at their own game. Not to be ignorantly critical, but they currently seem to just be the best of a batch of poor or incomplete options.

Circular discussion that's been going on for years.

It's better than nothing.

GPA can cull data from sites that don't report but some sites (like Clink) don't want their data made public on GPA.

Others (like board sales) are too difficult to verify whether they actually happened or not. I tried to have a discussion in an attempt to get more sales recorded by GPA over the years but most people felt that many options (like adding board sales) would not accurately represent the market or would be too difficult to authenticate reliably.

As I said, what GPA offers isn't perfect but it's better than nothing and better than me having to hunt down all the individual sales.

What's preventing the folks (making money) at GPA from culling the information from the less (or non) cooperative sources themselves?

Are you asking why doesnt GPA pull publicly posted data from non-participating sites (like CLink, Pedigree, etc) and use it in their metadata?

1. The sales data is the property of the sale/auction host (since they hosted the transaction). GPA could be sued if they posted that data since they do not own the right to profit from it.

Or, for that matter, from verifiable board sales, too.

The looser GPA is with what data they accept, the more likely we see market manipulation.

If they can't do this, why can't some enterprising geek come along and beat them at their own game.

Comes down to a mix of accuracy and availability. The remaining accurate data (CLINK, Pedigree) is not available, and the remaining available data (message board sales, dealer sales) lacks accuracy (or at least has a greater chance for inaccuracy/manipulation).

What's preventing the folks (making money) at GPA from culling the information from the less (or non) cooperative sources themselves?

Are you asking why doesnt GPA pull publicly posted data from non-participating sites (like CLink, Pedigree, etc) and use it in their metadata?

1. The sales data is the property of the sale/auction host (since they hosted the transaction). GPA could be sued if they posted that data since they do not own the right to profit from it.

The looser GPA is with what data they accept, the more likely we see market manipulation.

If they can't do this, why can't some enterprising geek come along and beat them at their own game.

Comes down to a mix of accuracy and availability. The remaining accurate data (CLINK, Pedigree) is not available, and the remaining available data (message board sales, dealer sales) lacks accuracy (or at least has a greater chance for inaccuracy/manipulation).

It just seems odd to me that sales data can be made known to the public, but not become part of the public record.

As far as market manipulation, you don't think Bob Overstreet did that for years?

As far as market manipulation, you don't think Bob Overstreet did that for years?

That was my point exactly when I discussed it. I was trying to work with GPA to get more data on record.

I`m of the mind set that more info is better because anybody with half a brain will be able to disseminate what is an outlier and what is real.

Instead I was torn a new behind and accused of having a personal agenda. So now this is what we have, for better or for worse.

Comes down to a mix of accuracy and availability. The remaining accurate data (CLINK, Pedigree) is not available, and the remaining available data (message board sales, dealer sales) lacks accuracy (or at least has a greater chance for inaccuracy/manipulation). [/quote

]It just seems odd to me that sales data can be made known to the public, but not become part of the public record.

GPA is not a public record, it's a private record used for profit.

And while I dont think or know if Bob Overstreet himself manipulated price reporting to his benefit, I assume that some of the Dealers who submitted market prices for the guide did. Granted that effect was mitigated by the volume of information provided, but yes Im sure there was manipulation.

thus why I like GPA better, even though it is not perfect either.

GPA can cull data from sites that don't report but some sites (like Clink) don't want their data made public on GPA.

Others (like board sales) are too difficult to verify whether they actually happened or not. I tried to have a discussion in an attempt to get more sales recorded by GPA over the years but most people felt that many options (like adding board sales) would not accurately represent the market or would be too difficult to authenticate reliably.

As I said, what GPA offers isn't perfect but it's better than nothing and better than me having to hunt down all the individual sales.

One of our most vicious battles of all time. :acclaim:

One of our most vicious battles of all time. :acclaim:

And you were never more wrong. :baiting: