• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 Vol. 3 Store Exclusive Variants? - Neal Adams, Perkins, Samnee

39 posts in this topic

There are lot more. Here's the list I have ...

Amazing Spider-man 1 DBCS Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 DBCS Sketch Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Diamond Summit Retailer Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Dynamic Forces Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Hastings Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Limited Edition Comix Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Limited Edition Comix Sketch Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Midtown Cover A Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Midtown Cover B Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Mile High Comics Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 M&M Comics Variant

K.

I'm adding the ExpertComics one now :)

Man... are they trying to beat WD for most variant award???

I like collecting variants because a lot of the time the variants are nicer covers, but even I'm getting tired of the 30 different covers that come out. I think their strategy of creating collectibility is doing the opposite. But anything for money I guess. :ohnoez:

I don't get why it bothers people so much. It helps the company/market and you can avoid them if you want. I'll occasionally pick up one or two if I really like the cover, but otherwise I stay away.

As an ASM collector, more power to Marvel if they can release 50 covers and sell well. It looks like they'll do well with this one.

It only bothers me because I like comics for the art the story and the collectibility. With a large number of variants those lower print covers are automatically overpriced and It makes it more of a money grab. Just my opinion though. I still buy variants, so I'm not ragging on anyone who buys stuff like this.

There are lot more. Here's the list I have ...

Amazing Spider-man 1 DBCS Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 DBCS Sketch Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Diamond Summit Retailer Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Dynamic Forces Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Hastings Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Limited Edition Comix Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Limited Edition Comix Sketch Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Midtown Cover A Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Midtown Cover B Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 Mile High Comics Variant

Amazing Spider-man 1 M&M Comics Variant

K.

I'm adding the ExpertComics one now :)

Man... are they trying to beat WD for most variant award???

With the regular cover, variants, and store variants, I count a total of 25 books. I can't remember how many WD variants there were but Marvel will definitely come close if they haven't passed WD already lol.

K.

I like collecting variants because a lot of the time the variants are nicer covers, but even I'm getting tired of the 30 different covers that come out. I think their strategy of creating collectibility is doing the opposite. But anything for money I guess. :ohnoez:

I don't get why it bothers people so much. It helps the company/market and you can avoid them if you want. I'll occasionally pick up one or two if I really like the cover, but otherwise I stay away.

As an ASM collector, more power to Marvel if they can release 50 covers and sell well. It looks like they'll do well with this one.

It only bothers me because I like comics for the art the story and the collectibility. With a large number of variants those lower print covers are automatically overpriced and It makes it more of a money grab. Just my opinion though. I still buy variants, so I'm not ragging on anyone who buys stuff like this.

I get the story complaint, but don't variants add to the collectibility factor?

In the time it would take for Dynamic Forces to ship it, the series would probably be over again by the time anyone receives it.

It can also be detrimental though. There are certain collectors who are "completionists." So having a few variants is well and fine, but if your focus is to collect EVERY issue, (and there ARE people out there, regardless of how many or few) an excessive amount of variants can certainly be a pain. I don't have a problem with variants, I have a problem with an EXCESSIVE AMOUNT of variants and certain people driving the prices through the roof.

The Neal Adams expert comics one has to be because of how terrible the Montreal comic con variant turned out three years ago, and how Neal charged huge bucks and wouldn't include the oa.

I doubt it. ExpertComics have nothing to do with the con, unless of course things have changed recently.

I simply think they got one because they asked him. They hustle and NEAL has been in town several times of late so...

I'm not a big variant collector but IMO if people want and buy and want them than go for it. I don't try to influence what others want to spend their money on. As long as people get what they want and enjoy its good for the industry.

It can also be detrimental though. There are certain collectors who are "completionists." So having a few variants is well and fine, but if your focus is to collect EVERY issue, (and there ARE people out there, regardless of how many or few) an excessive amount of variants can certainly be a pain. I don't have a problem with variants, I have a problem with an EXCESSIVE AMOUNT of variants and certain people driving the prices through the roof.

This is exactly the reason I quite collecting the Amazing Spider-Man after 33 years of it. As a completist, the burden to get all these variants just got too great. Easier for me to just give up and stop worrying about it. Yes, props to Mavel if they can publish a ton of variants and have each do well, but as a former long term fan, it simply drove me away.

I still like this one best.

portrait_uncanny.jpg

Which cover is this?

I did not see it on MTC, so I'm guessing it' another store variant.

If I'm correct, I believe it's the Marcos Martin cover. Don't think it's a store exclusive just one of the Variants.

This is exactly the reason I quite collecting the Amazing Spider-Man after 33 years of it. As a completist, the burden to get all these variants just got too great. Easier for me to just give up and stop worrying about it. Yes, props to Mavel if they can publish a ton of variants and have each do well, but as a former long term fan, it simply drove me away.

This is my concern. The collector base has been eroded, in favor of one time sales. We went down this road in the 90s, where it was style over substance, and many monthly collectors were lost.

I get that variants provide consumer choice, but an excess is simply not healthy for the market.

I still like this one best.

portrait_uncanny.jpg

Which cover is this?

I did not see it on MTC, so I'm guessing it' another store variant.

If I'm correct, I believe it's the Marcos Martin cover. Don't think it's a store exclusive just one of the Variants.

Awesome, thank you.