• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can we PLEASE not make eBay even worse!

67 posts in this topic

I get it ... selling on eBay is a b**ch when it comes to fees. I mostly buy comics but occasionally sell stuff that I want to get rid of, old tech, etc. So when I'm buying, I understand why someone might charge a few extra dollars to offset fees ... but there is a limit, and when people cross it they just make eBay suck.

I saw 3 books from the same seller that I was interested in. I asked some questions and got quick responses. I was all set to pull the trigger when I noticed that the shipping was $19.99. When I looked closer, I realized that to combine auctions they are charging an extra $9.99 a book! Let me clarify ... for 3 books (7oz of paper) that would cost me about $300 to buy, this comic shop expected $40 total shipping for USPS priority, 5 states away. I emailed to inquire about this insanity, and here was the reply:

"We are charging for the insurance, the hard plastic top loader, tracking, and foam padded envelope. When you buy more than 1 book it includes the box and priority shipping."

Translation: $20 for $1.00 in shipping supplies and approx $5-6 in insured shipping, and $20 more for the extra $.60 worth of plastic to accommodate two more books.

I am confident there are dealers just waiting to jump all over me and tell me about overhead and how this is justified so let's hear it. But let me end this rant by saying ... add your extra cost into the price of your book, don't try to rape people with BS shipping charges!

Agreed.

All my listings offer free shipping to the United States and priced accordingly.

For international, it's at cost of shipping, and I eat the supplies cost since I re-use/recycle whenever possible.

I actively try to avoid buying on ebay like it's the plague.

I actually spoke to ebay a while back, I was informed that they include the shipping price in the total to which they calculate the fee (at least they did) Therefore by charging that extra cash to offset the fee's they are screwing themselves.

I hate it when sellers try to pad their prices like this. free shipping is the way to go man not gouge people. i'd rather see a book for $40 free shipping than $20 plus $20 shipping-for some reason it's insulting. like a burrito is $5 you ask for sour cream total is $8.....wtf

Instead of person_without_enough_empathying about these kinds of sellers, you should do what I do - don't use them. Don't buy from them, don't acknowledge their very existence.

:)

-slym

i definitely dont buy from them but if I'm in a bad mood might message 'your shipping is outrageous'.

You can't be "raped" if you know what is going to happen beforehand, and you can't complain if you go into the transaction knowing this and it happens. The dealer may be a scumbag, but he isn't hiding that he's a scumbag.

-slym

When people see good deals on eBay...they should buy them.

When people see bad deals on eBay ...they should not buy them.

But to make threads for every time a bad deal is confronted is rather useless.

Too many people today are easily offended by actions of others. Some people are offended by people who are always offended.

Too many people today are easily offended by actions of others. Some people are offended by people who are always offended.

if we can't complain about stuff what's the use of being human?

Come on! Let's not pretend that you NEVER bought a book on eBay only to realize the shipping cost, or extra combined shipping costs, after the fact. Caveat Emptor only gets you so far ... this is a clear cut case of d-baggery!

I'm gonna pretend I never did that

Come on! Let's not pretend that you NEVER bought a book on eBay only to realize the shipping cost, or extra combined shipping costs, after the fact. Caveat Emptor only gets you so far ... this is a clear cut case of d-baggery!

I never have had the situation you describe happen to me. Know why? I read the whole auction, shipping prices included. If it happened to you, I could guess why.

Please, everyone, take note: if you don't read all the "fine print" and you get screwed because of it, it is no one's fault but yours.

-slym

I never have had the situation you describe happen to me. Know why? I read the whole auction, shipping prices included. If it happened to you, I could guess why.

Please, everyone, take note: if you don't read all the "fine print" and you get screwed because of it, it is no one's fault but yours.

-slym

Within reason. The guy who was burying the fact that his AF 15 was a reprint somewhere in a wall of text is an exception.

-slym

yup

i cant see slym just blithely buying something without checkin it out thoroughly

QFT.

-slym

if we can't complain about stuff what's the use of being human?

So, one of the only reasons to live is to be a whiny little person_without_enough_empathy?

-slym

that's the MAIN reason