• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Paypal buyer protection rules

6 posts in this topic

actually seem to benefit sellers somewhat. It appears from the proposed updates to the Seller Protection Policy 11.4 that, ONLY FOR UK BUYERS, the signature confirmation requirement min $ value is being raised from $250 to $750.

For me, this will mean cheaper shipments on high dollar books to UK buyers. Instead of needing a signature confirmation method, i.e., express mail, on a $500 book, I can now rely on simple delivery confirmation, a la priority with deliver confirmation.

Or am I missing something?

actually seem to benefit sellers somewhat. It appears from the proposed updates to the Seller Protection Policy 11.4 that, ONLY FOR UK BUYERS, the signature confirmation requirement min $ value is being raised from $250 to $750.

For me, this will mean cheaper shipments on high dollar books to UK buyers. Instead of needing a signature confirmation method, i.e., express mail, on a $500 book, I can now rely on simple delivery confirmation, a la priority with deliver confirmation.

Or am I missing something?

What if they file an INR with Ebay? See where I'm going here? Follow Ebay's rules. If Ebay raises it to $750 then you are good to go, but if Ebay stays at $250 you know what you need to do to protect yourself.

I think that what is sometimes missed by individuals selling - well anything really that you ship to the customer by common carrier - is the "why" of insurance and signature receipts.

I ship a lot of stuff. I don't purchase insurance and signature confirmation to protect my buyer. I purchase it to protect myself. From claims for damage in transit, for non-receipt.

I consider some insurance and signature a overall wise investment - especially so with USPS. Because defrauding the USPS is a crime - and because USPS Postal inspectors are in fact law enforcement officers. They have police powers. If one claims non-receipt of a package insured for $300 that you had to sign for, one has just increased the odds tremendously of a Postal Inspector asking questions. If the package is a grand, you can pretty much make coffee and wait for the knock on the door.

Scammers - the smart ones anyway - want to scam the seller that didn't insure and didn't require a signature. That is the low hanging fruit for them.

I wouldn't trust Paypal or eBay to ever have my best interests in mind. Their #1 is themselves and their bottom line. The insurance and signatures I purchase is me protecting myself.