• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man VS Wolverine

43 posts in this topic

3/$1 box at my LCS last month. I couldn't leave them, so I grabbed them all and gave away another 15 or so more to people who didn't own one. This is what was left.

100_5727.jpg

There is definitely a huge supply of this comic. I'm sure every Marvel collector in the 80s has at least one copy in their collection. Some of us, more.

3/$1 box at my LCS last month. I couldn't leave them, so I grabbed them all and gave away another 15 or so more to people who didn't own one. This is what was left.

100_5727.jpg

There is definitely a huge supply of this comic. I'm sure every Marvel collector in the 80s has at least one copy in their collection. Some of us, more.

That pretty much sums up the 80s in general.

This was a horrible book, and it got a really bad name at the time due to how it totally screwed up the Hobgoblin reveal and ended the whole saga on a horrible low-note.

And then the geniuses at Marvel thought it was so terrible that they retconned the Hobgoblin into someone else and did an even worse job by rewriting it (very badly) to make Roderick Kingsley the retro-Hobgoblin. :facepalm:

And to think, at one time the Hobgoblin used to be a pretty cool villain.

100_5727.jpg

:takeit: Seriously. :grin:

This was a horrible book, and it got a really bad name at the time due to how it totally screwed up the Hobgoblin reveal and ended the whole saga on a horrible low-note.

And then the geniuses at Marvel thought it was so terrible that they retconned the Hobgoblin into someone else and did an even worse job by rewriting it (very badly) to make Roderick Kingsley the retro-Hobgoblin. :facepalm:

I love the Hobgoblin and have heard some of the stories/complaints in regards to this. Do you have any links with more detailed info or time to type out more info I'd appreciate it!

I love old school Hobby.

Me too buddy! At one time I liked him much more then the Green Goblin! Always loved the cover to ASM #312. That reminds me I need to get a copy of that book again.....it still bums me out that I had to sell the majority of my comics when I lost my job...really bums me out. I have yet to find work so it will be a little before I get that ASM #312 back! :sorry:

I had the whole ASM Mcfarlane run graded at 9.8 White except #324 was a 9.6....miss those books as well as my complete ASM run from about #100 to current with about 30 issues below #100....so sad to think about......

I love the Hobgoblin and have heard some of the stories/complaints in regards to this. Do you have any links with more detailed info or time to type out more info I'd appreciate it!

Everyone knows the Hobgoblin saga was mishandled at the end, but that bold part is really not accurate at all.

Spider-Man: Hobgoblin Lives was written by some hack ;) named Roger Stern and explains - with references - how the story he started was ruined by a handful of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

It can be (and has been ) argued that Stern's idea isn't perfect either, but minor suspension of disbelief is one thing while blatant contradictions and B.S. are another

I love old school Hobby.

Me too buddy! At one time I liked him much more then the Green Goblin! Always loved the cover to ASM #312. That reminds me I need to get a copy of that book again.....it still bums me out that I had to sell the majority of my comics when I lost my job...really bums me out. I have yet to find work so it will be a little before I get that ASM #312 back! :sorry:

I had the whole ASM Mcfarlane run graded at 9.8 White except #324 was a 9.6....miss those books as well as my complete ASM run from about #100 to current with about 30 issues below #100....so sad to think about......

#312 will be easy enough to replace. It is a great cover too! McFarlane drew a wicked GG and HG.

I always liked the cover to #238 (1st Hobby). That's one of the best, IMO.

I love old school Hobby.

Sorry to hear that, but you will get them back one day.

I'm in the process of building a McFarlane 9.8 run myself.

Plenty of them out there.

Except that dang #301. Now that is a hard book to find in 9.8...

Spider-Man: Hobgoblin Lives was written by some hack ;) named Roger Stern and explains - with references - how the story he started was ruined by a handful of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

Sure, but Stern never had Kingsley in line for the Hobgoblin from the start in ASM 238 (he just hated the choice of Ned Leeds), which was my point. RK was the Retcon-Goblin, in an attempt to salvage something from the horrible Ned Leeds reveal/death in Spider-man vs Wolverine.

Didn't Stern want Richard Fisk to be the Hobgoblin?

Yeah, I just found multiple references:

DeFalco was pulled off the book before he was able to reveal the identity of either villain. DeFalco has since stated that the Rose was originally intended to be Roderick Kingsley and that it was his intention to reveal that Richard Fisk was the Hobgoblin.

Sure, but Stern never had Kingsley in line for the Hobgoblin from the start in ASM 238 (he just hated the choice of Ned Leeds), which was my point. RK was the Retcon-Goblin, in an attempt to salvage something from the horrible Ned Leeds reveal/death in Spider-man vs Wolverine.

Didn't Stern want Richard Fisk to be the Hobgoblin?

Yeah, I just found multiple references:

DeFalco was pulled off the book before he was able to reveal the identity of either villain. DeFalco has since stated that the Rose was originally intended to be Roderick Kingsley and that it was his intention to reveal that Richard Fisk was the Hobgoblin.

I'm pretty sure that Tom DeFalco is not Roger Stern (unlike Jim Owsley, who is Christopher Priest).

"Roderick was a manipulator, a totally amoral businessman who used people and then tossed them to the side," Stern said. "As I was scripting ASM #238, I realized that the voice I was developing for the man who was about to become the Hobgoblin, was the same as Kingsley's voice. That was when I realized that he was my ideal choice."

DeFalco disagreed, however, and went in his own direction with the character once he became the lead writer for ASM. To this day, DeFalco dismisses Stern's plan as "Roderick Kingsley's evil twin."

Also, the Rose was created after Stern left ASM.

So, with Stern's ideas officially in Marvel's rear view mirror, DeFalco and Frenz moved forward in charting new waters for the Hobgoblin. If DeFalco had been able to carry his plans to fruition, Richard Fisk, son of the nefarious "Kingpin" of crime, Wilson Fisk, would have eventually been revealed as the Hobgoblin, while, as a nod to Stern, Roderick Kingsley -- sans brother -- would be the Rose, the purple mask-wearing, well-coiffed crime boss who was introduced by DeFalco and Frenz in ASM #253.