• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another kid. this time on Craigslist

56 posts in this topic

I troll the local Craigslist on occasion looking for books to buy. I've been successful a few times over the past few years.

A new listing was posted from my town. It listed and posted pics of a nice group of books that can be seen here:

Link to Craigslist ad

Pretty nice group of books! I call a couple of times and leave messages. The seller finally returns my call while I'm on a walk in the park. I immediately have reservations because he sounds like a kid. I ask if we could meet for me to view the comics. He tries to figure out where I live instead of telling me where we could meet. Finally, I tell him that I'll contact him later since I'm on a walk and need to eat after I'm done. Already, red flags are flying!

I don't get time to contact him again that night, and he texts me a couple of times, including once the next morning.

After getting his text, I call him back. The first thing I ask him is, "how old are you?" He hesitates, then says, "I'm 14." I ask him if his parents know that he is trying to sell comics on Craigslist. He says that they do. I then ask if I can speak with his mother or father. He says yes, but hesitates and tells me he will get his dad to call me back.

About two minutes later the phone rings. He says that his father wants to speak with me. After a long pause, a slightly deeper but obviously still 14-year-old voice says, "hello." I said, "I know who this is and good luck selling your comics if your parents know about it" and I hung up.

He calls again, but doesn't speak after I answer. Then I get a text a couple minutes later saying "I can't believe you hung up on my dad." (Need I add that the texts had a lot of bad grammar and spelling)

I did not respond, then a couple of minutes later I got a final text, "Screw u." Bazinga!

I know a lot of boardies and dealers may have pounced on this kid, but I don't need to make a buck this way. There are just too many issues going on. Plus, at 50, I don't need to be doing business with a 14-year-old kid probably selling his dad's comics for video game or even drug money.

Any boardies with similar war stories?

it is illegal for a minor to sell items of any value i believe from watching judge judy.

'need to get money for my family'

then have your dad sell them

it is illegal for a minor to sell items of any value i believe from watching judge judy.

probably shouldn't be giving legal advice out, since you're getting your info from judge judy.

probably shouldn't be giving legal advice out, since you're getting your info from judge judy.

that's why I said 'I believe'....

minors cannot make contracts-an offer and an acceptance is a contract.....i believe i am correct but i am not saying I AM RIGHT.....see the difference?

i mean if there was a collision and the people involved were confused and someone walked up and said i believe you're supposed to exchange insurance information-i saw it on judge judy would you walk up and say 'you probably shouldn't give out legal advice if you got it from judge judy'?

I was taking out ads in the classified section of the newspaper when I was around 10 years old. :)

I'm afraid you're gonna have to contact all those folks and tell em those transactions are null and void and you must exchange the comics for the money they paid back then. this should actually work out well for you.

I troll the local Craigslist on occasion looking for books to buy. I've been successful a few times over the past few years.

A new listing was posted from my town. It listed and posted pics of a nice group of books that can be seen here:

Link to Craigslist ad

Pretty nice group of books! I call a couple of times and leave messages. The seller finally returns my call while I'm on a walk in the park. I immediately have reservations because he sounds like a kid. I ask if we could meet for me to view the comics. He tries to figure out where I live instead of telling me where we could meet. Finally, I tell him that I'll contact him later since I'm on a walk and need to eat after I'm done. Already, red flags are flying!

I don't get time to contact him again that night, and he texts me a couple of times, including once the next morning.

After getting his text, I call him back. The first thing I ask him is, "how old are you?" He hesitates, then says, "I'm 14." I ask him if his parents know that he is trying to sell comics on Craigslist. He says that they do. I then ask if I can speak with his mother or father. He says yes, but hesitates and tells me he will get his dad to call me back.

About two minutes later the phone rings. He says that his father wants to speak with me. After a long pause, a slightly deeper but obviously still 14-year-old voice says, "hello." I said, "I know who this is and good luck selling your comics if your parents know about it" and I hung up.

He calls again, but doesn't speak after I answer. Then I get a text a couple minutes later saying "I can't believe you hung up on my dad." (Need I add that the texts had a lot of bad grammar and spelling)

I did not respond, then a couple of minutes later I got a final text, "Screw u." Bazinga!

I know a lot of boardies and dealers may have pounced on this kid, but I don't need to make a buck this way. There are just too many issues going on. Plus, at 50, I don't need to be doing business with a 14-year-old kid probably selling his dad's comics for video game or even drug money.

Any boardies with similar war stories?

Ugh. Wast of time. I just get the usual spend a load of time communicating details that eventually fall apart. Seems to be a few nice books in that lot, but I would have done the same thing.

A long time ago, probably in the mid-1990s, I was hanging out at my LCS when a couple of kids, probably 17 to 19 years old, came in the shop with a stack of early SA books worth hundreds. The owner offered them $50 for the books, which they swiftly accepted and left. The LCS owner offered me what I wanted for a steep discount just to get what he could out of the store quickly. He said they were "hotter than Georgia asphalt." Then he put them under the counter for only his trusted customers to view.

14 years old...into comics...trying to scam people...has an affinity for the word "awesome"...

You should text him back and ask how he feels about GI Joes...

That was exactly what I was thinking when I heard his voice and when he confirmed his age. I should have asked him if he wanted a MOS #18.

An update: At 2:16 a.m. the post was deleted. Perhaps he found a buyer or perhaps he's grounded for trying to sell his father's prized possessions!

I messaged craigslist that a minor was selling valuable comics-that when you called the number a kid answered.