• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tough Decision Made...Argh

35 posts in this topic

I understand where you coming from. In the early 80's, when I was a teen I had around 85% of the X-Men books starting at #10. I have long since sold them and really want to get them back, but I also think my family is more important, so I am happy with the Masterworks books to read them.

I hope your sales get you to your goals.

Thank you! I also love the Masterworks for my favorite Marvels. I look forward to the ASM's when they come out.

V/R,

Mike

The hunt will be just as fun when you rebuild the collection.

Actually, that's one of the positive sides of this! I get to go through the excitement of tracking down the ASMs I enjoy so much all over again. I will also be more patient and get really choice copies.

V/R,

Mike

Good luck, but why not sell ALL of the lower priced books instead?

Selling lower-priced comics is too difficult and too time consuming. My high-dollar books will get me some real money, and then I also get to keep many of my comics. It's suprising to me that some of the high-dollar books are much easier to find in high grade than some of the Spidey appearances from the 70s and 80s that list for only a couple of dollars each.

Also, I am keeping a couple of the harder to find issues like DC's Inferior Five #10 with Spidey on the cover, which was very difficult for me to find in NM.

V/R,

Mike

On a Tangent . . .

Would a bank ever accept a collection as collateral for a loan, esp. if it had some gems in it?

They might for really valuable comics. My collection isn't worth taht kind of money.

V/R,

Mike

mlovest,

You're making a great decision here and the best part is that it sounds like your collection will bring you more money than you put into it. I'm faced with having to buy another house due to my family size going from two to four and the comics will go if necessary.

Best of luck on thee sale and hunt for the house! (thumbs u

BTW, Blazing Bob will be at the Emerald City show in Seattle next weekend.

Thank you! Yes, I will be making more than I paid as many of these comics were purchased raw and slabbed later. One of my favorites is an ASM 42 I bought 15 years ago as NM on eBay. It arrived with no backing boards or cardboard in a padded mailer. I had the book graded and was surprised to get back a 9.6 with white pages!

I also picked up a Conan 1 on eBay fro peanuts, and it's now a slabbed 9.4!

V/R,

Mike

I think there comes a point in every collectors life where they cross that certain age and start to evaluate life and priorities.

I'm not totally getting out of collecting, but have been seriously scaling back the collection to do better things with my time, effort, money, etc.

Plus I live in tornado alley and every time they pop up I worry. Well I won't worry as much this season.

I took the theory (comics excluded) that if it's in a box it's gotta go. Why buy and collect things to sit in a box?

Good for you brother...

I think that being willing to sell your valuable possessions so you or your descendants can live better is a healthy mindset. It certainly comes into play when you reach retirement age, and your parents and in-laws pass on. After all, as cool and fun as they are, comics and other accumulated objects are just stuff. If you've got a child that really wants your collection and its bunches of long boxes, then that's great. More often than not, though, the collection is a burden for the children to deal with - it's heavy, it takes up a lot of space, it's a pain to move, it can trigger sadness for your absence, and it doesn't feed the same nostalgic hunger for them that drove the collector. They'd benefit much, much more from the money.

Bottom line? Comics are just things, but family is what really matters.

I agree fully. I've sat down a couple of times with my wife to let her know what to do with my comics stuff in case something happens to me.

V/R,

Mike

I think there comes a point in every collectors life where they cross that certain age and start to evaluate life and priorities.

I'm not totally getting out of collecting, but have been seriously scaling back the collection to do better things with my time, effort, money, etc.

Plus I live in tornado alley and every time they pop up I worry. Well I won't worry as much this season.

I took the theory (comics excluded) that if it's in a box it's gotta go. Why buy and collect things to sit in a box?

Good for you brother...

hank you and everyone else for the kind thoughts and well-wishes!

V/R,

Mike

Nice feel good story. My collecting can become obsessive and I would love to think I would put the collection ahead of family anytime...but I haven't been put to the test yet (shrug)

Good luck with the sale.

You rock brother!

I love collecting, but family first Always!

(thumbs u

One thing is interesting out of this so far, and it's that my wife is really surprised and pleased. She's always thought my comics were a bit silly. I mean what sort of grown man collects comics? However, I think she's actually really impressed that I was able to put together a valuable collection over the years while also staying within my budget!

V/R,

Mike