• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tough Decision Made...Argh

35 posts in this topic

OK, so I've made a very tough decision over the past couple of days. I've been collecting Amazing Spider-Man comics and his appearances in high-grade for over 20 years. My focus has been all ASMs up to 700 in HG, plus all his appearances before 1990. I decided it's time to sell my high-dollar ($100 plus) comics, and to use the money to help our family buy a new home.

This has actually been an easier decision than I would have imagined, because I really know it to be the best thing for my family. I have three young kids, so getting us moved into a nice home is a better choice than a room full of comics.

I'm not getting out of comics completely, and I will still have most of my comics and Spider-Mans. In fact, I hope in a year or so to start back in replacing many of the comics I will be selling. I'm even a bit excited about the prospects of going after some of the same Spider-Man comics it took me years to acquire.

I want to thank a number of you for helping me through the years to bring together what I consider to be an "amazing" collection. It's brought me a great deal of enjoyment, and I look forward to continuing on a smaller scale in the future.

Also, I will be consigning the comics with Blazing Bob Storms, so if you're a Spider-Man fan, he'll be picking up about 125 HG consignment comics from Avengers 11 to Silver Surfer 14 to ASM 10 and many more.

Wish me luck and all the best to you in your collecting efforts. :D

God bless,

Mike

I understand where you coming from. In the early 80's, when I was a teen I had around 85% of the X-Men books starting at #10. I have long since sold them and really want to get them back, but I also think my family is more important, so I am happy with the Masterworks books to read them.

I hope your sales get you to your goals.

Good luck! Nice to see a man who has his priorities correct. Take care of that family!

happy-smiley-808.gif

+1

I may be there myself in a couple of years.

All the best on your sales adventures! And getting that new house! smiley-greet013.gif

It's kind of ironic that you are selling your books to buy a house when people use to use comic books (as insulation) in the construction of a house! If your not buying new you may want to check the walls and attics? ......just sayin'!

Good luck, but why not sell ALL of the lower priced books instead?

Or at minimum keep 2-3 of your favourites?

mlovest,

You're making a great decision here and the best part is that it sounds like your collection will bring you more money than you put into it. I'm faced with having to buy another house due to my family size going from two to four and the comics will go if necessary.

Best of luck on thee sale and hunt for the house! (thumbs u

BTW, Blazing Bob will be at the Emerald City show in Seattle next weekend.

I will be faced with a similar problem in the next few years, I plan on downsizing my house and will need to do the same with my collection as the new house wont have the space.

I hope it all works out for you Mike and good luck to you and your family :wishluck:

I think that being willing to sell your valuable possessions so you or your descendants can live better is a healthy mindset. It certainly comes into play when you reach retirement age, and your parents and in-laws pass on. After all, as cool and fun as they are, comics and other accumulated objects are just stuff. If you've got a child that really wants your collection and its bunches of long boxes, then that's great. More often than not, though, the collection is a burden for the children to deal with - it's heavy, it takes up a lot of space, it's a pain to move, it can trigger sadness for your absence, and it doesn't feed the same nostalgic hunger for them that drove the collector. They'd benefit much, much more from the money.

Bottom line? Comics are just things, but family is what really matters.

Sorry to hear that man, there goes another collection ruined by those pesky children.

Really, I don't know why people insist on having these creatures.

Anyways, good luck.

lol