• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did the ASM J. Scott Campbell Hype start?

55 posts in this topic

Pixies > all Seattle sound.

Romita Sr. women > Campbell women.

Wait. Am I showing my age?

Love 'em all actually! :headbang::banana::headbang:

Age schmage. lol

Pixies make me think of Kim Deal which makes me think of Breeders which makes me think...

:sumo: CANNONBALL :sumo:

One thing I do know. JSC had more fanboys coming up to flirt with him at the show than any other artist/writer.

At one point it was ticking off people who had been waiting in line hours to get something signed or sketched because they would keep distracting him from working on the piece in front of him.

True story.

It's a balancing act for sure! He has to have fun as well or he would never attend.

His demand is at high point right now and all boats are rising with that tide.

Speaking of tides rising... did you see the lines for Scottie Young too?

Yeah. It was crazy. I lucked out and got to him early on Friday. He was awesome. I had him sketch me a Batman on blue paper, it is definitely his style and not a baby version. At least SY doesn't charge $5 per raw auto.

Got about 12 books signed by JSC and he didn't charge a thing at MegaCon. While I was in line for him they said the first 2 will be free then $5 each additional book but when me and my gf got to the front of the line there was no charge, and we went to his booth twice. The people who brought obscene amount of books did get charged though..

He's no Adam Hughes

To a degree Adam Hughes is no J. Scott Campbell.

It's such a subjective statement of pure opinion... Debates have gone on in every industry and every generation... Kirby VS Ditko; Perez VS Byrne; Romita VS Buscema; Pearl Jam VS Nirvana; Beatles VS Rolling Stones; 2Pac VS Biggie; Mac VS PC; Burger King VS McDonalds; etc. - - There's no right nor wrong, better or worst, people like what they like and let 'em be without criticism.

I'd say J. Scott Campbell holds the hot hand of popularity and relevance today over Adam Hughes 'tho in there here and now amongst the masses since he's actively putting product out into the public, and a lot of high profile quality pieces.

Pearl Jam :sumo:

PEARL JAM !

He's no Adam Hughes

It's such a subjective statement of pure opinion... Debates have gone on in every industry and every generation... Kirby VS Ditko; Perez VS Byrne; Romita VS Buscema; Pearl Jam VS Nirvana; Beatles VS Rolling Stones; 2Pac VS Biggie; Mac VS PC; Burger King VS McDonalds; etc. - - There's no right nor wrong, better or worst, people like what they like and let 'em be without criticism.

I'd say J. Scott Campbell holds the hot hand of popularity and relevance today over Adam Hughes 'tho in there here and now amongst the masses since he's actively putting product out into the public, and a lot of high profile quality pieces.

:sumo:

:sumo::sumo:

I'm more of an Alice in Chains,Soundgarden, and STP guy myself... though Yellow Ledbetter is one of my all time faves. :devil:

Mudhoney OPENS for Pearl Jam .

Pearl Jam lends Matt Cameron to Soundgarden ...

He's no Adam Hughes

I'm more of an Alice in Chains,Soundgarden, and STP guy myself... though Yellow Ledbetter is one of my all time faves. :devil:

Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees. (shrug)

He's no Adam Hughes

in 1967, the Monkeys outsold both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. As of 2012, their albums and singles have sold over 65 million copies worldwide.

And Mikey Dolenz is still alive to SPEND his $$ ;)

He's no Adam Hughes

in 1967, the Monkeys outsold both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. As of 2012, their albums and singles have sold over 65 million copies worldwide.

And Mikey Dolenz is still alive to SPEND his $$ ;)

I have every Monkees album on cd along with some missing links. Head on dvd etc.. My 1st fav band. :banana:

What I'm saying is.. I hear ya!!

He's no Adam Hughes

SLAYER! :sumo:

Campbell can not draw a female nose. The all look strange and red like they have the flu.

I love JSC's "booze nose".

I'm a bit biased, because I have liked JSC's work since 1994 (I was a pretty big fanboy back then) - he got to be insanely popular in a short time 1) because Gen13 was a super fun read with the hot woman factor going on in it and 2) because he was a young artist that was found in a talent seach - which really got fans to support him.

His interiors were always super dynamic, and his style was really nice a fluid - exaggerated in all the right places. He was a cheesecake artist from the beginning - but now it's super-polished. It's actually too bad that he's always doing covers, because his interior work was always great IMHO.

JSC's style is a unique - that's why people flock to him at shows. He's been around and popular for 20 years and has developed his own style. Newbs love his work and old fanboys like me like the nostalgia aspect of it. Even my wife - who patently dislikes art in general - likes his work. That speaks volumes.