• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon

38 posts in this topic

Got back from Megacon last night. Just like last year, I was shopping for "big" key books in low grade. This year, I was in sticker shock. WTF happened between last year and this year? Seemed like prices were at least 30% higher. I also noticed that low grade keys, if they ever were available, were disproportionately expensive. Has this been an on-going thing at the other big conventions over the last year?

I also saw a lot of books that were priced 50% above what I would pay at a much-loathed popular auction site.

Discuss among yourselves.

I picked up a Dardevil #1 from Greg Reece. I thought I received a fair deal on the book. Daredevil might not be a big key but I was happy to get the book at the price I paid. Of course you were there when I purchased the book so you already know this. What big keys are you talking about? AF 15, Hulk 1, GSXM 1, Hulk 181, etc.?

X-men 141 and 142 are shooting through the roof. Did anyone buy or sell one of these at Megacon?

I've never expected to get the same deals at cons that I can get on ebay or here on the boards for key books. (shrug)

I'm well aware that cons are pretty expensive for dealers, especially at SDCC where I was blown away how much the booths were. Now everyone loves a deal and most dealers will entertain offers, but for some reason cons make me more generous, I just enjoy the atmosphere and will spend more on a certain book just because it's more fun than buying it just by clicking some buttons.

I picked up a Dardevil #1 from Greg Reece. I thought I received a fair deal on the book. Daredevil might not be a big key but I was happy to get the book at the price I paid. Of course you were there when I purchased the book so you already know this. What big keys are you talking about? AF 15, Hulk 1, GSXM 1, Hulk 181, etc.?

X-men 141 and 142 are shooting through the roof. Did anyone buy or sell one of these at Megacon?

The friend I went with had a goal of buying a DD1 at MegaCon this year. We went on Friday and went back to Reece's booth multiple times looking at his DD1s. There were 5 copies when we were there. He ended up getting one raw from Graham Crackers, but it was a really tough decision. Congrats on your DD1!

I went planning on buying nothing, but confever took me over and I added a raw ASM129 to the stable.

Regarding the OP's observation about pricing on low grade keys at Megacon, I think that's a rational market at work. I was there all of Friday, and I didn't see the raft of low-grade X-Men 1s, AF15s, JIM83, TOS39s, and so forth as in years past. The "affordably-priced," low-grade keys are being snapped up, so supply (of what's available for sale) is decreasing and demand is on the uptick. Look at the horde of attendees this weekend in Orlando, maybe 50K? I'm not saying 50K attendees are collectors, but if just 1% of them are (say 500 or so), that's a lot of potential buyers creating demand, of course at different pricing levels for different types of books. It was great to see so many more dealers there than the last couple of years.

I read elsewhere on this thread that better deals are on eBay, but I say greater risk is on eBay. Nothing beats holding and examining a potential purchase (especially a $500+ book) before buying, and you also support dealers who take the time to set up, many of whom are boardies.

As has been posted already, the organizers do need to get Megacon under control again.

if you don't mind me asking were you on skype running the booth remotely?

pretty easy with ipad,

just turn it on

set it on top of a long box and aim it at the con

it's like you're really there.

? I wasn't at the show. John (spidermanontilt) ran my booth this weekend.

Until someone steals the iPad.

I sold six sets of Xmen 141/142 at Megacon. Actually went on the floor bought one from another dealer and sold that one also!

Overall the show works out really well for me. I sold probably ten long boxes worth of books and over half my wall. I do agree that a lot of the dealers were overpriced. It was amazed when I priced a book at slightly over ebay to see multiple other vendors pricing it at double or triple eBay. (Example my copies of secret wars 8 were priced 35-50. I saw copies priced 75-150 throughout the show. And these are raw books!)

I got to meet a lot more boardies and wanted to thank everyone who stopped by my booth.