• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon Results - Marvel Graphic Novels posted by bagofleas

16 posts in this topic

Here is my second Megacon update!

I left Tallahassee early on Thursday morning to make my way down to Orlando. It is about a 4 hour drive, and it went really fast because I was stoked to see my big brother again and be able to spend some time with him.

After meeting up and having breakfast together, we decided to go around and check out some LCS and see what we could find. The first store we went to was one that he had checked out the day before called Coliseum of Comics. We had perused through the store for a little bit when all of a sudden I looked down under the tables and realized that they had magazines under the tables!!!

As many of you may know, I am a magazine junkie. Whether it's magazine sized comics or Starlogs or any other item that interests me and can fit in a magazine sized CGC slab.

I'm sure I acted a little geeky when I saw them, because Tnerb smiled and shook his head. Haha

Well, among all of these magazines, I found a large group of Marvel Graphic Novels! This is my ultimate, favorite magazine set to collect in CGC form. These have also been skyrocketing in selling price lately in top graded form. So I love to find raw copies I don't have and seeing if any are 9.8 worthy.

Well, I ultimately bought five of them for no more than original cover price! After getting them back to my hotel room later, I determined that three of them were most definitely 9.8s! At first, I didn't think I would submit these at Megacon, because I was under the impression that they were not doing onsite for magazines. But on the second morning of the con, I found out that they were still accepting for onsite grading for a short time and that they WOULD do magazines!

So I turned in two of the 9.8 candidates to be done onsite. The only reason I didn't do the third one was because I plan on having it double signed at Supercon later this year. With these two, I don't see me getting signatures any time soon.

So at the end of the third day of the show, when we received all of our onsite submissions back, I was absolutely thrilled to see that my Graphic Novel grading skills are right on target! Both of them received 9.8s!!!

The #27 Emperor Doom starring the Mighty Avengers, is only the second graded copy now, with the other being 9.8 as well.

But the #9 The Futurians, is one that I never thought I would find in 9.8, let alone find raw in a store and accomplish the grade! It is only the second graded copy as well, but the other is only a 9.0!

It is solid black all the way around the front cover, and on the entire back cover, just like #4. But where #4 was always prized for its New Mutants 1st appearance, this one was not generally handled as gingerly, and as a result, they are virtually impossible to find in such good condition.

That's why I was astonished at finding such an awesome raw copy in an LCS on a trip to a con! These two MGNs were another reason for me to forever remember this show.

15319.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Yep, Coliseum of Comics is a very good LCS. It's a regular mandatory stop for me each year during my family pilgrimage to Orlando (much to my spouse's consternation).

Congrats on the grading. I totally hear you about finding off-key black-intense issues in high grade; and as time progresses it's only going to get worse...ugh...

Man you really cleaned up in FL, congrats! Hearing you talk about grabbing breakfast together, hitting the LCS, and heading to the con makes me anticipate ECCC even more. Hmmm...I wonder if there are any good LCS or restaurants in Seattle. If only I knew someone who could show me around. :)

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

if you have a medical condition that prohibits you from flying, don't mess with it.

Health first in all cases, comics aren't worth risking your health or a terrible flight experience. It can be very serious and incapacitate people for days after the flight, depending on the condition.

If you have vertigo or other pressure issues, just drive.

Nope...no Health issues...think B.A. From the A-Team.

Watching you look for comic books was amazing and it was great sharing that experience with you. It was pretty damn cool going to a comic book shop with out someone turning to me and saying can we go already? And the grades...beautiful.

lol. Actually, I could've looked through there for hours longer, but I didn't want to feel like I was holding you up.

It was a boatload of fun though, perusing through comic shops with you and comparing thoughts on issues.

It's not listed on the forms. They just write "on site" really big at the top of the forms when submitting them for onsite.

Here is a link for their onsite prices.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3859&

And if you want onsite Signature Series, I know for a fact that it's $36 for modern and $60 for economy.

Nope...no Health issues...think B.A. From the A-Team.

Watching you look for comic books was amazing and it was great sharing that experience with you. It was pretty damn cool going to a comic book shop with out someone turning to me and saying can we go already? And the grades...beautiful.

Well like B.A I have something medical to help us get him on the plane... Just saying.