• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

According to Doug's 2005 overstreet market report.....

101 posts in this topic

If you read Bob's credits at the front of the book we are Overstreet GRADING ADVISORS not price advisors. We also advise when we see mistakes in the guide as to date, key appearances, and other things when we come across them here at CGC.

I love being an advisor, if done correctly, it is helpful to the hobby as a whole. thumbsup2.gif

I think there are other dealers who I won't name either who probably share your sentiments Bob, that often nobody is reporting the "true" state of their market in a given year. I don't think 2004 was a "bad" year for comic book dealers, but there probably have been some declining trends that few are willing to discuss.

I think it'd be good if there were more dealers who were honest about their opinions on the market, but sadly I think a lot of dealers don't want to actively publicize a little if they've experienced problems with selling certain items.

It's doubtful that experienced collectors put a lot of weight in the titles, but I imagine a lot of new collectors do. I know I did when I first got into back issues... I simply assumed that if somebody was an OS advisor, or a senior OS advisor, they had some sort of special knowledge or experience. Of course, I've found that in some cases it's true and in others, it's just a shell game.

How exactly would someone feel if a market report said this

Dells suck, I can't give them away

Gold Key sales are strong however it's possible that warehouse finds will lower retail values going forward

Charltons are falling out of the trees, but then again with most of the titles why would anybody buy them.

Byrne X-Men in NM+ seem to be everywhere, why is that?

Where are all of those DC keys in high grade?

Hulk #181 in high grade is common, oh you didn't know that already? Thankfully demand for this issue is keeping a lid on the supply or you would be looking at the Bronze age version of Fantastic Four #48

Marvel/DC horror titles are picking up while 50's versions seem to have cooled off. Have the 50's prices gone too high?

Why are the same collectors who complained about my pricing of keys now wanting to pay more than when I first offered them the book? Maybe it's possible that there is someone to trust in this business?

Gold Key sales are strong however it's possible that warehouse finds will lower retail values going forward

Charltons are falling out of the trees, but then again with most of the titles why would anybody buy them.

Hulk #181 in high grade is common, oh you didn't know that already? Thankfully demand for this issue is keeping a lid on the supply or you would be looking at the Bronze age version of Fantastic Four #48

Marvel/DC horror titles are picking up while 50's versions seem to have cooled off. Have the 50's prices gone too high?

Why are the same collectors who complained about my pricing of keys now wanting to pay more than when I first offered them the book? Maybe it's possible that there is someone to trust in this business?

I'd love a report that was as frank and honest as this. You gonna write one...?

Personally, I'd be more apt to focus my money on dealers who are willing to discuss the market honestly. You can find the hypesters anywhere...

Jim

maybe they are in business to make you $ unlike the rest of us. makepoint.gif

....unless of course they are buyin the same book but from another seller?

If I read a market report like that, I think I'd feel like I was getting an honest answer and actual useful information for a change.

Most of those facts I think are somewhat known by many collectors -- but the large part of the collecting community probably doesn't, or wants to ignore, those facts.

As far as people willing to pay more now than a few years ago -- well, I think that has something to do with the fact that the books aren't as available and with CGC pricing on high grade keys, if you can find them raw, you're begging to pay prices from four or five years ago.

Sure Honesty is fun to read but HYPE goes a long way. Remember "Hope you Paid Enough"

Sure...but then again, I think most long time collectors can differentiate the facts from hype. And those same collectors appreciate dealers who can put aside the hype and deal with them in an honest and straight forward manner.

Essentially, smart dealers know when to use it and when not to...

Jim

Well your tone is somewhat sarcastic, but this is probably the most accurate market report I've read. Of course, not bragging, but I already know all of this. grin.gif

I believe with the advent of GPAnalysis and even being able to see historical sales on eBay (and Heritage), that the market reports are less relevant. Ten years ago, the average collector had almost NO IDEA, what a book sold for other than what GUIDE said and some reports in CBM.

And of course, if someone sold a mid-grade book for anywhere near guide, they said "Interest in mid-grades is picking up as we sold several SA for $XXX).

Sold a Dell "Interest is picking up".

Sold a Four Color "Interest is picking up".

So Bob, what would be more interesting to me would be a market report that said, "Actively looking for these books, as I am able to sell them before I have a chance to put them on my site". That would be useful. But once again, I have a feeling I already know the answers. grin.gif

Interesting that the Presold list would basically be giving away business knowledge to a forum of "collectors" who would only be buying to put them into their collection yet the books appear on ebay a week later.

My sarcasm carries the undertone that a lot of "collectors" are "dealers" looking for as much information to make money just like I do without wanting to do the "work" or "learning the ropes".

Interesting that the Presold list would basically be giving away business knowledge to a forum of "collectors" who would only be buying to put them into their collection yet the books appear on ebay a week later.

hi.gif

I'm a certified non-flipper. For awhile. cloud9.gif

My sarcasm carries the undertone that a lot of "collectors" are "dealers" looking for as much information to make money just like I do without wanting to do the "work" or "learning the ropes".

Deep, especially considered in light of the slew of "what would you invest in" threads lately...

I totally understand that position -- but I just like to know as much as I can about the hobby since I spend so much f--kin time and money involved with it, being educated is important.

One of the ways to become educated, though, aside from putting in the legwork, is talking about a lot of issues concerning prices, trends etc., with people who are more experienced and have more knowledge.

I'm not interested in becoming a dealer, but I am interested in learning more with honest and accurate reports about the market.

Regarding your first point ------ Hey, I took a shot!!! tongue.gif

Regarding your second point ------- I know that I'm a "collector" and also a "SELLER" (don't consider myself a dealer). I do lots of research trying to determine Market Value, try to make contacts (so I might have first crack at books before they hit the public) and lastly, try to have the cash available to make a deal if an opportunity arises. The reason I don't consider myself a dealer is simply, because most of the books I buy aren't for sale immediately. Yes, almost any book in my collection would be for sale at the right price, but I am not actively trying to sell them.

I will say, that it seems most SA/BA Marvels are "Always for sale at the right price", since many collectors believe another copy will eventually come around.

Just interjecting on the issue of Overstreet Advisors. Although most people focus on the pricing, The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is as much an historical reference work as it is a price guide. Overstreet Advisors advise on any number of topics, from pricing and grading to historical data and much more. There is no one particular category implied by the name "Overstreet Advisor," and many advisors offer feedback and guidance on multiple topics. Michael Eury of BACK ISSUE Magazine is an Overstreet Advisor in the area of historical information, while Larry Lowery is offering his expertise as an Overstreet Advisor on Big Little Books. There is a much wider scope to the role than some might think.

Arnold

Hey, looking for information from other more experienced collectors IS PUTTING IN THE LEGWORK. That, of course is only in addition to your own research which includes experimenting with and following the market on your own. But I would say the number one, numero uno most important thing in seeking helpful information is to seek the input of others that are already successful in the field. NOT that those guys have all the answers or can tell you which is the next hot book, but they can help with insight and help novices to avoid the pitfals of comic book investing, speculating and flipping. That IS legwork and that is part of learning the ropes along with actually testing the waters on your own. Everybody needs to start somewhere, and I always advise newbies to seek advice from the pros from the beginning. This is not just comics, this is the first step to ANY kind of investing.-----Sid

Your start with collecting and ended with investing?

"but they can help with insight and help novices to avoid the pitfalls of comic book investing, speculating and flipping".

None of the above statements go with my definition of what a collector is, they define a dealer who invests, may flip the book and speculates that he can sell it for more than he paid.