• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

According to Doug's 2005 overstreet market report.....

101 posts in this topic

Well, the thread became interesting even without the market report.

Bob, throws us a bone. Tell us something about demand or lack of demand for certain books that might surprise us.

I'm serious. Any title, run or issues that you see more people wanting or certain key books that everyone's starting to ignore?

Doug and I do live in the same province and we get together at least once a month and have our own little forum about comics over coffee. A great way to spend a couple hours on a Saturday. While all this is going on, I also see how Doug deals both with people who know absolutely nothing about comics and some who know lots.

Also, I deal with him throughout the year...mostly trading comics I no longer want for ones that I do. I can HONESTLY say the dealings I've seen as well as personally taken part in for the most part reflects what's said in the report.

What exactly happened in 94 / 95?

Overstreet started their '95 Market Reports (based on what happened in '94) as being extremely positive for hi-grade back issues only. Is this true? Thought there was some kinda' crach in '94. Were new comics the only one's effected? Thought back-issues kinda' died as well. I was happily buying new comics only at the time so.......

Anyone remember?

I enjoyed reading your list, and according to each individual's own experiences he is going to have his own personalized list. I agreed with many of your points, but many I thought were way off. I could spend a long time and go over each point, but I will just go over two right now as I don't want to make this a huge post (besides, I type slow).

8. I bought new comics all through the 1980s. I would pick out the best copy, take it home and then place it in a cheap comic bag with a cheap board without ever changing them. Within the last few years I have taken some of these same copies, sent them to CGC and received many graded at 9.6, 9.8 and even one spectacular 10.0. All with either White pages or Off-White to White. I don't think I ever received a book back from CGC that I purchased new off the stands at less than 9.2, most were 9.4 - 9.8. BUT, these were unread copies so that helped.

12. NO WAY are 95% of the comic dealers trying to rip you off. Sure, I've bought some overgraded and even a few undisclosed restored books, but I'd say 75% are honest dealers out there, from my experiences. Of the other 25%, maybe half of those may be dishonest and the other half just bad. My percentages may be a little off, but overall I'd say the majority of comic book dealers were HONEST businessmen, at least the ones I've dealt with at cons AND on Ebay.

OK, another one:

14. I believe the opposite is true. Comics are worth much more individually than in a collection, at least if you are trying to sell them.

Geez, this is fun, but gotta get back to work. -----Sid

I enjoyed reading your list, and according to each individual's own experiences he is going to have his own personalized list. I agreed with many of your points, but many I thought were way off. I could spend a long time and go over each point, but I will just go over two right now as I don't want to make this a huge post (besides, I type slow).

8. I bought new comics all through the 1980s. I would pick out the best copy, take it home and then place it in a cheap comic bag with a cheap board without ever changing them. Within the last few years I have taken some of these same copies, sent them to CGC and received many graded at 9.6, 9.8 and even one spectacular 10.0. All with either White pages or Off-White to White. I don't think I ever received a book back from CGC that I purchased new off the stands at less than 9.2, most were 9.4 - 9.8. BUT, these were unread copies so that helped.

12. NO WAY are 95% of the comic dealers trying to rip you off. Sure, I've bought some overgraded and even a few undisclosed restored books, but I'd say 75% are honest dealers out there, from my experiences. Of the other 25%, maybe half of those may be dishonest and the other half just bad. My percentages may be a little off, but overall I'd say the majority of comic book dealers were HONEST businessmen, at least the ones I've dealt with at cons AND on Ebay.

OK, another one:

14. I believe the opposite is true. Comics are worth much more individually than in a collection, at least if you are trying to sell them.

Geez, this is fun, but gotta get back to work. -----Sid

Wasn't some if not all of the Mile High collection just stacked up in a room with no back boards/bags? I mean you can see 9.6 CGC early GA ( 1940-1950's) comic on the census which I'm sure sleeves/back boards didn't come into the scene until decades laters.

I can't comment on the dealers ripping people off since a) my dealer don't buy or sale non current comics and B) I only sale comics once every 15 years tongue.gif Sorry I had to, my wife told me I had to cut back because of the holidays so I'm off setting my spending by selling comics I ended up with in large lot buys I didn't need.

I basically wrote this with the regards of selling a complete collection all at one time. I was referring to say taking out an Amazing Spiderman #1 out of a collection with a large amount of newer stuff that is less in demand. I would say that by taking out the ASM #1, you have taken the value down of the fodder that dealers would pay more for, to get that ASM #1.

Most of the dealers I know, hate dealing with a collection that has the key's missing. I for one have turned down many X-Men Collections that are missing the #94 and GS#1.

Like I said, I wrote it a long time ago, and never posted it. I think that its too harsh for those that don't know. It was written for the uneducated reader who doesn't know comics that well.

As for the Church collection, you are dead on. I do believe they were kept on their backs, but if they were kept on the spines, I am sure we would see less high grade copies out of there.

As for dealer %'s, there are probably thousands of part time, and full time dealers out there. I might not go as far today to say 95%, but you have to admit, there are shady guys out there.

But, oh well, take it for whats its worth. Was just something I did long ago, it isn't a manifest, more like what was on my mind that day.

Isn't it a little early for the next Guide's report? I mean, I know there's an editorial deadline, and nothing earth-shattering is expected to happen within the next two months, but if it is a truly 'year-end' report, it seems to me that it shouldn't be compiled until January.

Then again, Doug Sulipa's been in this business a long time, and I'm pretty sure he has a good view of everything. So I just answered my own question.

Please disregard.

P.S. The market report is for me the most enjoyable part of the book, certainly the best 'reading' part as opposed to the 'research' part.

I am basically referred to as a "Special" Overstreet Advisor since I give a lot of CGC sales to Tom Gordon. I have some reservations about being a Overstreet Advisor, basically one being that the only requirement to be one is a couple of referrals. A couple of referrals? What exactly does that qualify me for?

I've also wondered how someone becomes an Overstreet Advisor. Is that it, a couple of referrals? Maybe Darth can tell us - he used to make fun of Overstreet here on these Boards, but now he's an Overstreet Advisor? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was asked to be one to help contribute to the OCPR. If there were referrals involved, I don't know about it as I was not told about them nor did I seek any out. My interest and sales knowledge of the "hot comics" helped as no one of the advisors at the time had paid attention to this segment of the market. Lately, I've been contributing data on Marvel price variants. I turn in my sales data every year and a market report. It is voluntary and I'm not paid or given special consideration. I don't wear "OS advisor" as a name tag and lord it over people or use it to give any weight on my opinion. When I first came on these boards, I didn't think that OS gave the proper attention to modern books and that Wizard was actually closer to the mark (though often overshot it with their hype) when pricing hot new books and variants, etc. The OCPR is soemthing that takes care of this and has been an effective tool for dealers and collectors alike.

But this is old news? Why harp on it, as it seems to bother you so much that a "speculating variant collector" like me could ever become an OS advisor? We all know you think I have nothing to contribute anyway...

But this is old news? Why harp on it, as it seems to bother you so much that a "speculating variant collector" like me could ever become an OS advisor? We all know you think I have nothing to contribute anyway...

As far as I am concerned, a "speculating variant collector" is as much part of the market as a GA key collector. As a matter of fact, there are probably a greater number of "speculating variant collectors" out there than GA collectors. Modern variants have as much validity to be considered in OS, AND reported on in market reports as do all other genres of comics. And no, personally I do not collect Moderns at all. You go Darth. thumbsup2.gif -----Sid

The issue of what gets included in the BIG BIG edition now has a lot to do with the unfortunate limitations imposed by the physical structure of the book. We have literally reached the highest possible page count in the book for the current spiral binding system, and naturally we don't want to cut out pricing in favor of editorial as that would be contrary to the whole point of publishing the BIG BIG book. So it's very difficult to find a way to include any lengthy articles. We'll do what we can.

Arnold

Dump the "Platinum Books" section in favor of more market reports/editorials. devil.gif

Are there even enough collectors and sales of these to warrant this section?

With the OSPG getting larger every year, do you think there there come a time when it gets broken up into more than one book?

In other words, Platinum, Gold, Silver in one book, and Bronze, Copper, Modern in another. With commentary on each respective age in both books.

With the OSPG getting larger every year, do you think there there come a time when it gets broken up into more than one book?

In other words, Platinum, Gold, Silver in one book, and Bronze, Copper, Modern in another. With commentary on each respective age in both books.

I wouldn't mind that, get the Platinum and Gold outta my price guide. Probably won't happen though. At some point decisions are made, I'm sure, what books to cut out to make space because its obvious they aren't worth jack and never will be.

I wouldn't mind that, get the Platinum and Gold outta my price guide. Probably won't happen though. At some point decisions are made, I'm sure, what books to cut out to make space because its obvious they aren't worth jack and never will be.

People still use the guide for valuation? I prefer real world, real time tools myself. It can be a good technical reference (when iternet isn't availibe), but that's about it IMO.