• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As an eBayer for comic books...

72 posts in this topic

This is one thing that just doesn't bug me at all.

Sellers withholding FB, however.....

lol Why do you care?

I'm a caring person.

I rarely give feedback. My ebay handle is the same as here if you wish to avoid. ;)

JB, why don't you give FB?

I'm okay with no FB but always wonder if something went south and they are karmaphobic about leaving negs or neuts.

It just takes time and I have no incentive to do so. If someone requests it or I am bored on eBay then I do.

Sell me something I want to buy! :baiting:

lol

I pay right away as well. If someone doesn't pay within three days, i would email them and ask when they plan on doing so. Wait two more days after that. If no response is heard, then open a case.

How long do you wait to pay for an auction you have won, on average?

How long do you wait to get paid for an auction, on average?

I am just curious, and a little antsy, as for the first time in a while, I have not one, but two people taking days to pay for auctions instead of hours or even mere minutes. I know I got spoiled, so I am not whining about anything really, but it made me wonder about the two questions above.

I personally pay almost as soon as the auction ends. I am pretty sure I have taken more than 2 days to pay someone only a handful of times in my 10+ years on the 'Bay. And as I mentioned above, at least for what my memory recalls, I probably get more than 90% of my sold auctions paid for within 12 hours.

Let's hear your eBay experiences!

:)

-slym

I usually pay immediately, or as close to immediately as possible, no more than 24 hours. Except, of course, if I am looking at combined shipping - if the listing doesn't specifically mention something like "email me for an invoice when you have won everything you want", I will email the seller to let them know why I haven't paid yet.

As a seller, I put in my listings I expect payment within 48 hours and to contact me before then if there is a problem. If I haven't been paid within 24 hours, I send an invoice (in case they missed it), if not within 48 hours, I file a case. I used to wait longer, but nothing happens for 4 days after opening a case, and I'd like to be able to relist the following week if the buyer isn't going to come through.

My experience (limited, admittedly) has been after a case is open, only 2 things happen - I get paid almost immediately, or never. In one of the "never" times, I heard nothing back from the buyer, but noticed before I even opened the case that he had purchased an identical item in another auction and paid for it - he had feedback from the seller on the purchase: "Quick payment, great eBay'er!"

Once I win an auction, I'm inclined to bid on other stuff from the same seller, in order to lower the shipping cost per item. I usually try to let the sellers know, but its not my top priority. I figure that when they see 1,000+ FB with no negs, they should figure they will be getting paid. If a ebay seller is pushy about demanding payments, I'll pay right away and tell him we will have no future transactions.

Once I win an auction, I'm inclined to bid on other stuff from the same seller, in order to lower the shipping cost per item. I usually try to let the sellers know, but its not my top priority. I figure that when they see 1,000+ FB with no negs, they should figure they will be getting paid. If a ebay seller is pushy about demanding payments, I'll pay right away and tell him we will have no future transactions.

So you're the one who told me that. :insane:

As a buyer I pay with 24 hours. I had an auction in January that took the buyer 3 weeks to pay. The feedback left on his account had several "took for ever to pay" comments. His feedback let me know I wasn't going to get paid quickly. During the three weeks it took him to pay I only received 2 messages with the first message taking over a week after the auction was over before he sent it.

I typically pay immediately once I win the item. The only exceptions are if an auction ends overnight while sleeping, or if I am going after other items from the same seller that combines shipping. In either case, communication is the key. As a buyer I make sure the seller knows my intentions, and as a seller I appreciate the same from buyers. I usually reach out after 2 days if no payment is made on something I sell. As long as I get some kind of response, I am pretty laid back about it.

Heh, I can't believe I haven't checked this guy's FB yet...

...well, he has 100% positive FB, and a majority of them mention that he pays quickly.

I will wait a little more before filing any sort of report, as the book this person bought had been relisted several times, and I really don't want to lose a sale for any reason, let alone my own impatience.

:)

-slym

A lot of sellers have indicated that they send reminders or contact buyers about when they are going to pay, if they do not get payment in a couple of days. I would suggest that the automated UnPaid Item assistant program is far more friendly on your DSRs and just as likely to get you paid.

Often buyers feel that sellers are being pushy when they communicate about what the seller might consider tardy payment. If you allow ebay to make those notifications in a standardized template, it allows the big bad corporation to be the bad cop and you are far less likely to get dinged for communication, and everything else for that matter, in your DSRs.

A lot of sellers have indicated that they send reminders or contact buyers about when they are going to pay, if they do not get payment in a couple of days. I would suggest that the automated UnPaid Item assistant program is far more friendly on your DSRs and just as likely to get you paid.

Often buyers feel that sellers are being pushy when they communicate about what the seller might consider tardy payment. If you allow ebay to make those notifications in a standardized template, it allows the big bad corporation to be the bad cop and you are far less likely to get dinged for communication, and everything else for that matter, in your DSRs.

I wouldn't suggest this in any way. The fast road to getting negged.

I wouldn't suggest this in any way. The fast road to getting negged.

Opening an unpaid item case without communicating is a very, very bad way of doing business. The "automated system" is even worse. The last thing you should do is set it to automatic. It's a guaranteed way to off buyers.

Just send a message. It takes as long to do that as to open a case. If no response, then file. What harm is there? A few extra seconds?

If I get no payment after 4 days, I send a message that politely asks if they are still interested in the item, or if I can go ahead and relist it. No pushiness involved. Getting mad at buyers is a waste of your time, and leads to potentially serious consequences.

This "gotta have it yesterday" world will kill us all.

As a seller I have a "payment is due within four days" bit in my description, which usually isn't necessary. However, if four days pass and I've not received payment, I start a non-paying buyer claim. This usually shakes the money loose. If not, I just go through the process of getting the non-paying bidder strike applied, refunding my fees, etc.

However, I should note that this is only if I haven't received any communication or payment whatsoever within the timeframe. Generally, if a buyer bothers to contact me and say "Hey, I need a few extra days to pay," I would say 99% of the time I'll agree without hesitation. The other 1% I will generally try to negotiate a way to get the payment sooner than later, but I believe I am about as understanding as a seller can be.

As a buyer, if it's BIN, I pay right away. If it's an auction, I generally don't snipe, I just set my bid and leave, so in all honesty there may be an occasional case where I haven't checked my emails and actually wasn't aware that I'd won something, so it may take a day or two to send the payment.

However, I always read the buyer's requirements, and do my best to abide by them. If a buyer says "payment is due within 7 days", I will sometimes take that full time ONLY if I've contacted the buyer first to make sure that waiting the full 7 days (or what have you) is acceptable. This might be the case if, say, I see something ending at a great price but won't have the extra cash until payday, etc. But I never, ever, never, nerver exceed a buyer's stated requirements. It's rude.

Summary: I try to do what the sellers ask me to do, and make a good effort to be expedient in all of my transactions.