• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you receive a different CGC book than was pictured

244 posts in this topic

This hasn't happen to me thus far with comics (knock on wood), but it has happened once when I bought a very expensive football card. The card was raw, but it was a numbered card so I know it was different from the one he sent me. He did not mention that he was using a stock photo. The card I got was in good shape, but slightly OC from top to bottom.

After arguing with the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for awhile, he agreed to refund me if the card did not grade at least a PSA 9 (mint). Well, the card did get a PSA 9, but I was hoping for a 10 based on the stock photo, although I admit that was no guarantee. The slight OC would not have affected the grade. In any event, I kept the card and decided not to deal with the turd any more.

Funny thing is, his account got suspended a few months later.

Serves that doosh bag right! It's hard for me to respect anyone who uses stock photos, and doesn't disclose it in the description. Apparently some sellers have no problem with doing this, even If their books "all look the same". :facepalm: Sellers with this mentality can EAT IT!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, grading is subjective, and even CGC books of the same grade can have slight variation (or major variation in rare circumstances). I ended up returning a 9.8 once because It looked like a 9.6. Fortunately, the seller was totally cool about the refund.

You are a very small minority. I haven't even receive a comment let alone a complaint.

A different cert number means nothing to me as a buyer or a seller.

If you are selling a copy different from the one pictured, I hope you clearly list that it's a stock photo, as many folks "buy the book" not the grade.

+ INFINITY

Nope. Never. Search eBay for the latest releases in 9.8 and show me a difference. I have never received a complaint.

If you are selling a copy different from the one pictured, I hope you clearly list that it's a stock photo, as many folks "buy the book" not the grade.

The books I sell all look the same.

:roflmao: Now THAT is hilarious!

Happy to entertain. Doesn't make my statement any less true. (thumbs u

Well hey, at least you shamelessly admit to it. ;)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. All my WD 109 9.8's look the same. I would like to understand how anyone would see a difference. If someone wants to cry over a cert number then they may want to reevaluate their priorities. lol

Only time I use stock photos is if I have multiple raw copies of a book in the same grade. Since the listing shows more than 1 available I think buyers understand the book pictured isn't likely to be the exact one they'll be getting.

I would never use stock photos for a CGC graded book though, even if I had multiples available for sale.

Only time I use stock photos is if I have multiple raw copies of a book in the same grade. Since the listing shows more than 1 available I think buyers understand the book pictured isn't likely to be the exact one they'll be getting.

I would never use stock photos for a CGC graded book though, even if I had multiples available for sale.

Why not? What's the difference?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. All my WD 109 9.8's look the same. I would like to understand how anyone would see a difference. If someone wants to cry over a cert number then they may want to reevaluate their priorities. lol

You keep telling yourself that, chum, but right now you have people telling you that there actually is something wrong with it. Ironically, there's a current thread that discusses the complications of buying the grade, and not the book (I suggest you do yourself a favor and read it). C'mon man, that's day one stuff.

Man, it's so hard to take you seriously. The more you try to prove your point, the more I :roflmao:

Show me three 9.8s and I'll take a 10x loupe and show you the differences. Usually in the trim, the corners, the bindery trim on the spine, the staples, let alone super-subtle differences in page quality.

I worked in the design industry for years and have done plenty of press checks (not comic pressing, checks at the litho printer). You can find the differences.

I'm not always comfortable with the grade CGC assigns a book. I know buyers are the same way.

It's not a matter of if you think there is a difference between cgc books of the same grade. What matters is if eBay does. Would they consider it to be not as described? Does anyone for certain? They allow stock photos, after all.

You keep telling yourself that, chum, but right now you have people telling you that there actually is something wrong with it. Ironically, there's a current thread that discusses the complications of buying the grade, and not the book (I suggest you do yourself a favor and read it). C'mon man, that's day one stuff.

Man, it's so hard to take you seriously. The more you try to prove your point, the more I :roflmao:

Modern 9.8's all look the same. That's what branget is saying. Books from copper and earlier can look different so it's best to use individual scans. Branget is correct though, no difference between modern 9.8's so a stock photo for a walking dead 115 9.8 is good if you have 5 9.8 slabs of it.

I think you guys missunderstand Branget.

For low and midgrade books, pictures of the actual book are an absolute must. Not all CGC 6.0's are equal, nor are all CGC 9.0's for that matter.

However, Jeff primarily deals with moderns in CGC 9.8. Not the type of books mentioned above. Unless there is a misswrap on the spine or short overhang on the right side, 99.9% of eBay buyers aren't going to care if the cert is different.

Granted, if you are selling CGC 9.8 moderns there is less variance in QP than with other eras, and you may well be dealing with a collector base far more concerned with the CGC grade than the specifics of a books appearance. In this situation using one photo for multiple copies in the same grade may be an acceptable practice, but if such is the case, not disclosing that the book pictured may not be the same copy the buyer receives comes across as shady.

The books may be similar enough in appearance that most buyers won't care or even notice if they get the identical copy in the listing or not, but more than a few might feel a seller is less than honest if he doesn't disclose the possibility up front, even if they are content with their individual purchases.

Also, when people say buy the book not the grade, they are not talking about moderns.

I think you guys missunderstand Branget.

For low and midgrade books, pictures of the actual book are an absolute must. Not all CGC 6.0's are equal, nor are all CGC 9.0's for that matter.

However, Jeff primarily deals with moderns in CGC 9.8. Not the type of books mentioned above. Unless there is a misswrap on the spine or short overhang on the right side, 99.9% of eBay buyers aren't going to care if the cert is different.

Nope. Branget would not use a stock photo for multiple slabbed copies of AF15. He would for Nowhere men #7 9.8 or whatever. So it's not misunderstanding. It's thinking the newest copy of walking dead at a 9.8 should be as thoroughly examined as say an ASM #100 at a 9.8.

I take this to mean Branget does not *DISCLOSE* the fact that he (or she?) is using stock photos. If that's not what Branget meant, that point should be clarified. The problem isn't the use of stock photos. The problem is not informing the buyer that the item for sale is not the item pictured. It requires no effort at all to simply say in your auction "item pictured may not be item for sale" or some such.

We didn't misunderstand Branget. If Branget meant to say something else, he clearly didn't. Instead, we have his "posse" swooping in and speaking for him, because he lacks the ability to verbally express what he "truly means".

The term "buy the book, not the grade" can be used for every single CGC grade, including modern 9.8's. I've seen modern 9.8's that should have been graded 9.6, and vice versa, and I doubt I'm the only one who's witnessed this.

As far as stock photos go, here is something taken from the ebay website...

"Stock photos can only be used for brand-new items.

Stock photos may no longer be used as the primary photo for a used item listing. Catalog images are acceptable, but not as the primary photo for used items; exceptions are the Books, Movies, Music, and Video Game categories."

http://pages.ebay.com/jp/en-

us/sellerinformation/how-to-take-product-photos/ebay-photo-requirements/index.html

So yes, ebay allows stock photos, but there are restrictions in place for them. Keep in mind that comic books do not fall under the "exceptions".

Those are just ebay's policy's. Most online comic book stores that I use usually do not post stock images. Why? Because unlike Branget's approach, these reputable companies want their customers to know exactly what they are getting, even If it's a CGC 9.9 or 10 for that matter. Why do you suppose that whenever someone sells something on these forums, people demand a pic, even if it's a modern CGC 9.8? hm

I am not defending Branget here, just telling how I interpret this:

Branget's books all look the same because they all look the same. We all know a 9.8 can look different from another 9.8, but Branget is saying that his actually do all look the same, that's how he picks them out. If he has five copies of Manifest Destiny #1, one is not going to have a small NCB dog-ear, one won't have slight rippling, and one is not going to be off-center while the others aren't. He picks the ones that all actually look the same.

That being said, I would not use a "stock photo" of any CGC book personally. But that is me, and I am (luckily for you) not everybody else.

:)

-slym