• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Man with a 1 bdrm condo becomes a Comic Dealer

56 posts in this topic

do the packaged sets sell? I never see anyone buy them. I feel like people just go TPB.

Sets move. If you don't see them selling, they're either uninteresting old drek, or not priced to move, like anything else. $20 for Deadly Foes of Spider-Man? $150 for VF copies of Crisis? They're going to sit there.

(thumbs u

There are also plenty of sets to sell of books that have no TPB.

Nice setup and thanks for sharing the info on building your display (rack). Hopefully you don't mind me asking but what have you found to be the best method for credit cards? I know cash is king but I've seen a few people talk about a PayPal and Intuit reader. I have a PayPal account and know the reader is free but wondering if one is better than the other. Especially when it comes to using an Android based tablet as opposed to an iPad.

Sets move. If you don't see them selling, they're either uninteresting old drek, or not priced to move, like anything else. $20 for Deadly Foes of Spider-Man? $150 for VF copies of Crisis? They're going to sit there.

(thumbs u

+1

I spent my first few years collecting runs/sets that were good reads but had no TPB. Lots of fun, and most were $1 books, so they could be found in sets for less than $1/book.

do the packaged sets sell? I never see anyone buy them. I feel like people just go TPB.

Price the sets with an awareness of what the TPB sells for (especially if it's one thats available all over the show in the $5 TPB boxes of other dealers).

Also with an awareness of any key in the set.

Nice setup and thanks for sharing the info on building your display (rack). Hopefully you don't mind me asking but what have you found to be the best method for credit cards? I know cash is king but I've seen a few people talk about a PayPal and Intuit reader. I have a PayPal account and know the reader is free but wondering if one is better than the other. Especially when it comes to using an Android based tablet as opposed to an iPad.

Square rules. Sell at Sunday show, $ is in your bank account Monday.

Not sure if the paypal method works in Canada as of this moment, I have not really looked into it.

My comic dealer group is thinking about getting debit/ credit card capability for shows but we are looking into the percentage / fees to do so.

I work at a bank for my day job and I have looked into getting a credit card debit machine attached to a business account but the cost doesn't make sense for the amount of usage. We do 9 shows a year and maybe would get 4-5 uses a show. It just doesn't currently make sense.

I have also seen commercials for something you attach to a cell phone but it isn't available in Canada.

Omak 1-8 $30. ?

Probably why I still have it after a year. :makepoint:

The copies are very nice VF to NM but nobody cares. Anyone remotely interested would make an offer and find I am very likely to accept.

Not sure if the paypal method works in Canada as of this moment, I have not really looked into it.

My comic dealer group is thinking about getting debit/ credit card capability for shows but we are looking into the percentage / fees to do so.

I work at a bank for my day job and I have looked into getting a credit card debit machine attached to a business account but the cost doesn't make sense for the amount of usage. We do 9 shows a year and maybe would get 4-5 uses a show. It just doesn't currently make sense.

I have also seen commercials for something you attach to a cell phone but it isn't available in Canada.

I believe it is now. Try Square.ca

lol Sorry. I forget sometimes that the world doesn't revolve around the US.

I believe it is now. Try Square.ca

[font:Book Antiqua]I live in Toronto, a couple of months back I buy a few comics,

the woman used that exact interface to use my card...

She try a few times at least 6.[/font]

Thought I would share this because I find it amusing.

I have been selling at local comic shows for a few years now. I was originally selling my "completionist" collection that I acquired when I got back into comic collecting from 2003 - 2007. At the time I collected low grade books because I just wanted them all. They sold, and I was noticing I had little left for more shows, and I either would go quietly into the night or I would need to start buying.

I decided to start buying local collections, last year a 38 long box collection that yield several keys from 1984-2000 and quite a few golden age file copy Dells.

On Friday Mar 14th we bought another local collection some 28 longboxes.

Trying to get ready for a local comic show coming up on March 30th and this is what my Living room looks like:

001_zpsbef0377a.jpg

Grading/bagging/ boarding/ labelling/ alphabetizing.

003_zpse4ed6f20.jpg

Fun stuff. I have no room for anything. :P

these pics are screaming "chick magnet"

lol:signfunny:

Somewhere there is a picture of an old man sitting in a room with stacks and stacks of comics surrounding him. In 10 more years I will be that guy.

there are many days when i wish i was seanfingh also

You might be surprised how much use you will get out of your Square reader. I doubt you would only use it 4 or 5 times in a show. I just came back from Megacon and had many people spend money on credit card when they were cash light. At one point mid day saturday, looking over my days record, I was doing a charge every 2 or 3 minutes for a couple dozen transactions.

And one more plug for Square: Reader is free, much easier than PP's triangle to swipe cards, and you send instant receipts to buyers through text or email (a lot of times it's automatic b/c they have that info tied to their card).

(thumbs u

I was selling at London SuperCon a couple of weeks ago, had a very successful weekend and sets were my most popular item. I was very glad that I'd brought extra lots to keep behind the table to restock the boxes with. As long as they're priced fairly, there is a hot trade for them.