• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Went To Nearly Every Comic Store Around Chicago So You Wouldn't Have To!

91 posts in this topic

I got laid off 2 1/2 weeks ago. With all that free time on my hands (you can only look for a job so much during the day), I started to roam the city going to different comic shops.

I took notes for each one -- what I bought, what I thought of the place, what the clerk was like -- and have compiled them here for you. Obviously this is just one person's opinion, and I suspect that a lot of you will disagree with me on things. Most of the places I've been to in the past, but these are all I went to in the past 17 days.

I got a job and it starts Tuesday, so I think this is it.

Alleycat Comics

5304 N Clark St

Chicago, IL 60640

(773) 907-3404

www.alleycatcomics.com

This is a smallish store tucked behind a another building off of Clark Street in Andersonville. It’s a really nice place. Clean. Well-lit. Has a good new selection, a nice all-ages selection, plenty of new and old comics, and a good bunch of $1 bins. The top shelf of new comics is a little too high (and I’m 6’2”) and I think it turns into a card game store at night, but for what it is, I like it.

What did I buy? A low-grade Strange Tales #111 and a bunch of $1 books

Grade: 8.0

All American Comic Book Shop

3576 W 95th St

Evergreen Park, IL 60805

(708) 425-7555

http://www.allamericancomicshops.com/

This is your old school comic shop. It’s medium-sized, dark, and not particularly clean. There are a ton of back issues, from last month to the 70s, plus a decent sampling of Silver Age (and a few Golden Age). The newer selection is good, though they focus mostly on comics and not so much on trades.

There are plenty of problems. First off is the fact that so many of their wall books are extremely faded. Second is that their back issues are just in not great shape overall. They had very few higher grade old comics, and their common stuff didn’t seem up to snuff. (No backing boards.)

Third was this: I picked out a few things to get and when I went up to the register to pay, I found out they didn’t take credit cards. I was told I could go across the street to the Walgreens, but 95th St. is a four-lane road and it wasn’t close to a light. So I put my books down, walked out, and didn’t get anything. It’s 2014. You need to accept credit cards.

What did I buy? Nothing.

Grade: 2.5

Bridgeport Comics and Games

3323 S Halsted St

Chicago, IL 60608

(773) 475-6214

www.bpgames.net

I went twice, and they were open neither time. If you say you open at noon and it’s one and there’s a lock on the door, you’re not a very good store.

Grade: 0.5

Challengers Comics

1845 N Western Ave

Chicago, IL 60647

(773) 278-0155

www.challengerscomics.com

Bright and clean, with a nice display of new books and trades, it has nothing in the way of old comics (over 10 years) and the back issues they do have are pretty pathetic. It could be a good store. Good location, owners that seem to care about comics, but I don’t feel that this store can offer anything that any other shop already does.

What did I buy? 100 magazine bags and the latest Black Science

Grade: 6.0

Chicago Comics

3244 N Clark St

Chicago, IL 60657

(773) 528-1983

www.chicagocomics.com

I never feel cool enough in this place. They have a great selection of key Silver and Golden Age books on the wall, though their back issues otherwise are meh. (I suspect you have to ask to see more, which, to me, is a pain.) Their new issues seem to be mauled a bit, as there is just so much pawing going on. They have a lot of junk — toys, statues, stuffed animals — and a lot of non-mainstream comics and trades. But I’ve never liked the feel of the place. I realize that’s not very helpful, but if somebody was looking to shop at a place after seeing a Cubs game, I’d direct them to the Graham Crackers down the street before Chicago Comics. (Also, and maybe this is why I am prejudiced, but the owner was a jerk to me about 9 years ago for no reason.)

What did I buy? Nothing

Grade: 7.0

Chimera Comics

5307 W 95th St

Oak Lawn, IL 60453

(708) 422-4900

http://www.chimerascomics.com/

I don’t understand this store. They have no back issues. None. They have the last few months issues out of any title, but then I don’t know where the old ones go. Maybe it’s new and they don’t have anything. They have a few sets of older books, but I’m not paying $150 for a FN/VF run of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Here’s the really strange thing. They have an Amazing Spider-Man #1 on the wall. In a picture frame. For $5,000. And it looks like it’s starting to fade. I wanted to tell them to get that damn comic off the wall, but I just didn’t care.

This was one of my least favorite shops.

What did I buy? Nothing

Grade: 3.0

The Comix Gallery

405 Linden Ave

Wilmette, IL 60091

(847) 251-4362

www.comixgallery.com

A tiny, but nice, shop in Wilmette, just north of Evanston. It’s tucked away in a dead-end street at the end of the Purple Line, and it has a good selection of newer books, cheap back issues, and a handful of older books. If I lived around there, I’d be happy to go there every week for my new comics. The hours aren’t great. It’s not a destination shop by any means. But it’s good.

What did I buy? An Ex Machina TP (half off) and a Love and Rockets t-shirt

Grade: 8.0

Comix Revolution

606 Davis St

Evanston, IL 60201

(847) 866-8659

www.online-revolution.com

I used to work a block from this store, and it was my go-to for a couple of years, so I’m a bit biased. But I really like it for what it is. It’s a small shop that sells mostly new comics and trades. It has some toys, some books and magazines, and even some back issues (not many, and most are $1). It’s well run, clean, well lit, and the staff knows their stuff.

Do not go here if you’re looking for comics older than a year. It’s just not what this location sells. (Their other one, in Mt. Prospect, I’ve heard has a much larger back-issue selection. I’ve never been.) But if you like new books and a good selection of non-Marvel/DC, there are fewer better small stores.

What did I buy? Paying for It SC GN

Grade: 8.5

Dark Tower Comics

4835 N. Western Ave.

Chicago, IL 60625

(773) 654-1490

www.darktowercomics.net

While not perfect, I think the guy who runs this knows what he’s doing. He has a decent back-issue selection, but he has an especially nice $1 book section where he just turns mess over all the time. To me, this is the way to go. If you have a few copies of Jonah Hex from last year, sell it for $1 and make some of your money back. The biggest problem with the shop is that is just seems not nice enough. The fixtures seem old and even though there’s a lot of space, the back issues aren’t easy to get at. They just recently expanded their store, so I’m hoping it gets nicer.

He also did something smart. He had a My Greatest Adventure #1 in GD/VG for $150. Not a terrible price. I offered him $100 — and I’d pay cash. And he accepted. I’m sure it was sitting around for a while, and it was a nice little sale for him.

What did I buy? A lot. A ton of BPRDs for $1, a slew of other $1 comics, a couple of Manifest Destiny comics, and the My Greatest Adventure #1.

Grade: 7.5

Dreamland Comics

105 W Rockland Rd

Libertyville, IL 60048

(847) 680-0727

www.dreamland-comics.com

I used to work in Buffalo Grove and went to this shop at least twice a month. This was back in ’05-’06. It was a good store, with decent back issues at decent prices. Well, it’s not held up well. It has a good new comic selection, but the back issues are much more expensive (and not as exciting) and the store has not changed in nearly a decade. It’s in need of a good cleaning and re-organizing. Another place with a big card game following.

What did I buy? An Alter Ego magazine and the latest issue of Justice League Dark

Grade: 5.0

First Aid Comics

1617 E 55th St

Chicago, IL 60615

(773) 752-6642

and

1142 W Taylor St

Chicago, IL 60607

(312) 733-2080

www.firstaidcomics.com

There are two locations for this small chain, one in Hyde Park and the other near UIC. The UIC is a nice store, although there are only a handful of back issues. There are plenty of new comics and trades, but don’t go there if you’re looking for a gem. I did score one pretty good deal, though: a Lois Lane #70 in VG/FN for $5. There is a lot of card game happenings going on at night, so I think that’s how he pays a lot of his bills. If you were a UIC student, you really can’t go wrong with this. If you’re a serious collector, this may not be the place for you.

The Hyde Park store has a lot more back issues. Strangely, though, they put like 5 backing boards in each bag. I have no clue why. They had some nice decent comics — though all lower grade and no super keys — and a good new selection (albeit crowded). It’s on two levels, so that’s a bit of an inconvenience if you have trouble with steps. (I don’t, but it could be a problem.) It’s not a great store, but not a bad one. A little far from the University of Chicago campus, this isn’t one of my favorites.

What did I buy? UIC store: Lois Lane #70; Hyde Park store: latest issue of Nova

Grades: 7.5 for UIC; 6.5 for Hyde Park

Galaxy Comic Zone

3804 N Western Ave

Chicago, IL 60618

(773) 267-1043

At one point this was a full-service comic shop, but I don’t think they’ve gotten a new shipment in years. They have about 20 long boxes of quarter books and a few boxes of older comics. It’s a collectible card game shop, really. I asked the owner how much for all the Silver Age comics. He pulled out a three-year-old Overstreet, and I just told him to figure out a price and get back to me. He hasn’t yet.

What did I buy? About 50 quarter books.

Grade: 1.5

G-Mart Comics

2641 N Kedzie Ave

Chicago, IL 60647

(773) 384-0400

www.g-mart.com

This just seems like a business where the proprietors don’t really care that much. It’s dirty, unorganized, and not very inviting. Their back issues (other than a few boxes) are listed on a computer, so you request to look at them and the clerk goes in the back room to get them. Which is a bit surprising since it’s a big store. It has a nice location in Logan Square, but it’s the kind of a shop where you could open up a store next door and drive it out of business in two weeks.

What did I buy? Nothing

Grade: 4.0

Graham Crackers Comics

77 E Madison St

Chicago, IL 60602

(312) 629-1810

and

3162 N Broadway St

Chicago, IL 60657

(773) 665-2010

and

5443 N Broadway St

Chicago, IL 60640

(773) 561-5010

www.grahamcrackers.com

I’ve been to three different locations of the Graham Crackers Chains in the past two weeks. The one in the Loop was my weekly shop (as I used to work four blocks from there). It is okay, but their business relies upon volume. I suspect they sell an extraordinarily large amount of new books and trades. Possibly the most in the city. Their staff is nice and funky. They have a decent sized back issue section, and even some Gold/Silver, but this isn’t their bread and butter.

What did I buy? A handful of new comics

The location closest to me is their Edgewater store. They have a lot of back issues, and a decent new selection. The people that work there are, well… I think they put the trainees there, because they’re not super knowledgeable. I think that alone would annoy me, having to listen to the clerks babble on about stuff that nobody really wants to hear. It’s a decent store. Not great, but not terrible.

What did I buy? 100 Golden Age backing boards

The most well-rounded of the three is their Lincoln Park store. It’s large, full, pretty clean, has a good selection of old and new comics, and even a basement full of 50-cent comics. It’s a little dark, and even though they just moved into the location, it doesn’t seem super clean. In fact, it’s a bit crowded. Parking is always an issue, as that stretch of Broadway is crammed, and the two times I’ve asked for deals on something high-priced, the person behind the counter couldn’t make any (nor did they have anyone to call to do so). That’s annoying. It’s a good store. Not a great store.

What did I buy? About 30 50-cent comics, a half-priced Peter Bagge hardcover, and an Annihilation Conquest complete set for $15

Grades: 7.0 for Loop, 6.0 for Edgewater, 7.5 for Lincoln Park

North Shore Comics

3155 Dundee Rd

Northbrook, IL 60062

(847) 480-1996

This place is awful. Just awful. He has a terrible selection of new comics, a weak selection of trades, and no back issues other than a few boxes of 50 centers. I honestly have no idea how it’s still in business. Really. I asked the owner if he had any old comics, and he said that he had some in the back but it was too difficult to get them out. Okay… This was a comic shop from 1978. It actually made me a little angry.

What did I buy? Vision and Scarlet Witch #1-12 (for $6)

Grade: 1.5

Third Coast Comics

6234 N Broadway St

Chicago, IL 60660

(847) 863-7450

www.thirdcoastcomics.com

A smaller store in Edgewater/Rogers Park, this is just okay. About 5 boxes of back issues, a handful of Silver Age Marvels, and that’s your non-new stock. It’s a bit disorganized, and it’s definitely a neighborhood store. The owner is very talkative and opinionated. Sometimes to his detriment, I suspect. With Alleycat and Graham Crackers both within a couple of miles, I’m often surprised that this one is still in business.

What did I buy? Nothing

Grade: 5.5

Variety Comic Book Store

4602 N Western Ave

Chicago, IL 60625

(773) 334-2550

Nice mural on the outside; comic shop from the 80s on the inside. Dark, cluttered, grumpy owner… it’s not really my cup of tea. I didn’t want to bother the owner with any questions, so I quickly left. It’s probably the oldest shop in Chicago, but that doesn’t mean it’s very good.

What did I buy? Nothing

Grade: 4.5

I don't know the Chicago area or how far spread out all these stores are but I'd say based on population there are about 10 stores too many. As you mentioned with some of your reviews I'm surprised all of them are still in business.

I don't know the Chicago area or how far spread out all these stores are but I'd say based on population there are about 10 stores too many. As you mentioned with some of your reviews I'm surprised all of them are still in business.

Chicago is very spread out. The only place where there are too many shops (IMO) is in the Andersonville/Edgewater neighborhood (my hood) where there are three and there probably should be only one. But this is also the third (or fourth) largest metropolitan area in the country. It can handle this amount of stores, and probably more.

Born and raised in Chicago and now reside just outside in the suburbs. I Totally agree with all of your assessments on these shops. I have visited all of them as well. One I would like to plug is another Dreamland comics in Schaumburg, which has been my go to for the last two years. The shop is spotless. The rack of new issues is huge, plus they have many of last running 3 or 4 months of issues on the rack. They have a smaller back issues section I their store, but have a GREAT online back issue selection which you can have shipped to your house or delivered from their warehouse to the store for pickup.

They offer 20% off all new comics online and a free bag and board online and have an AWESOME web interface. Their subscription/pull list starts with only 5 titles and can be changed at any time.

http://www.dreamlandcomics.com/html/

And they ARE NOT affiliated with the dream land comics in Libertyville that you reviewed above. I would rate this dreamland a 9.4. Their customer service is tops!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Thanks, well done, very well done. It's obvious though that you are a North Sider and didn't venture too far into the South Side but you obviously ran out of time. You got a job and that's a good thing. Thanks for the very useful information.

Variety Comic Book Store

4602 N Western Ave

Chicago, IL 60625

(773) 334-2550

Nice mural on the outside; comic shop from the 80s on the inside. Dark, cluttered, grumpy owner… it’s not really my cup of tea. I didn’t want to bother the owner with any questions, so I quickly left. It’s probably the oldest shop in Chicago, but that doesn’t mean it’s very good.

What did I buy? Nothing

Grade: 4.5

The original owner died a few years back after a long illness. That shop was one of the best back issue locations anywhere. I haven't been there in quite a while though.

One I would like to plug is another Dreamland comics in Schaumburg, which has been my go to for the last two years.

I was going to hit the western burbs next week if I didn't get a job. I have never been there before (living by the lake, Schaumburg is the biggest PITA to get to), but next time I'm in the area I'll stop in.

Thanks, well done, very well done. It's obvious though that you are a North Sider and didn't venture too far into the South Side but you obviously ran out of time. You got a job and that's a good thing. Thanks for the very useful information.

I got to a couple of shops south -- in Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn -- and I wanted to get to Alternate Reality (where I haven't been in a few years). Maybe next lay off!

I've been to most of these.

Dreamland in Libertyville is one of those stores that I think primarily just focuses on gaming. They haven't put out any back issues for a year. New books are pretty much limited to only cover subscribers.

Comix Gallery is the place to go for new books, especially of the lesser known variety. The owner is awesome and his books are always in really nice shape. Decent number of older books considering the size of the store and the prices are solid too.

North Shore Comics, as you said, is one of those stores where you question how they are still in business. I guess the rent must be only a couple of bucks. Its like the owner doesn't even care to operate a comic book shop and is just there to kill time and play games on a card table. Newsstands have a bigger selection of comics. Apparently the owner has a warehouse somewhere. Not sure why he doesn't put a few longboxes down on the empty tables that are just taking up room in his store.

You can find a decent book or two at the Comix Revolution stores, but they keep the back issues in those wire racks and they just get beat to hell. You will never find a back issue in NM condition at either shop. Good places to go for recent issues of the smaller print books, unless the hipsters have already gobbled them up.

Dark Tower. Decent shop, but like you said its a pain going through the back issues. There are only so many overstuffed long boxes on the floor that someone is willing to look through, You can find some deals in the dollar boxes but the books in the variant boxes are all grossly overpriced.