• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Went To Nearly Every Comic Store Around Chicago So You Wouldn't Have To!

91 posts in this topic

pics????

No. I didn't think people would appreciate me taking pictures of the inside of their shop.

If you told them about it

I'm sure that would go over well....

"Mind if I take some pics of your store? I don't think my words can describe accurately how much it sucks."

Variety Comics and Comic Kingdom were my two shops growing up. Sad to see one go and one not doing well.

Atlas was my most recent, but unfortunately they closed down.

you forgot to visit One Stop comics in Oak Park.

Great list.

One stop was my store as a kid. Numerous locations, one on oak park ave, one by brick yard shopping mall. Most recently on Belmont avenue.

Unfortunately one stop ( every location) needs a disaster cleanup crew. Stores look like an episode of hoarders. Stuff laying around everywhere, piles and piles of boxes, back issues in terrible shape, musty smell. Key books displayed on wall all sun damaged and faded......

Rick the owner knows his comics but is a bit of a jerk........

Surprised any of these " one stops" are even still in business.

We should have a sub forum somewhere for all the major cities and their comic shops. I've seen threads about San Francisco and Austin, we should give them their own space. Granted, they are probably not going to be the most visited threads but it would be a nice little resource to people wanting general info, moving, or visiting and wanting to check out the local scene.

I do not live in a major metropolis (no pun intended) but I would like to add what I can to this thread concerning my area....and one store WAY outside my area.

Tri-State area (Huntington, WV...Ironton, OH...Ashland, KY)

I'm going to do the two stores in the Huntington area because I am most familiar with them.

And keep in mind.....opinions vary widely from person to person. This is simply my take.

Purple Earth comics....This is what I consider my home shop because I do most of my current editions there.

I'll start with what I feel are the negatives first:

1) The Shop is small maybe 20'x60'....if there were 5 customers in there at a time there would be an issue because there is simply no room to pass someone.. you would have to browse at the convenience of others.

2) The shop is cluttered making the size seem even smaller. I am fairly clumsy and my biggest fear is brushing past a pile of toys, games, books, and statues and bringing the entire stack down on top of me of another patron.

3) Very limited (I would guess < 100 back issues of any kind. ZERO Outside of 5 yrs.

The positives:

1) Great shop owner...friendly, knowledgeable, willing to work with you on variants or anything else. Engages everyone in the store.

2) Really nice selection of current issues....DC, Marvel, Image, all the big names and most little ones....also has a fairly decent sized Indy area.

3) Since the shop is small everything is within easy reach.

4) He has a very nice selection of toys, statue's, and comic related items.

5) If you are looking for something he doesn't have descibe it best you can and he will track it down.

6) Prices are very good. He takes 10 or 15% off of cover for any book you buy. And the toys and statue prices are compairable to online prices. I prefer to give him my business over online if I can to support small LCS.

Overall: B

Less than one Block from Purple Earth is Comic World.

This shop has been in the same location since the 80's from what I can remember.

Again...I'll list the negatives first.

1) Small-Medium selection of current issues. I believe there is about a 30 to 40 foot of wall space alloted for current issues.

2) Price's are a little higher on the back issues than I would expect them to be.

3) The proprietor is a very nice lady, and I'm sure she is knowledgeable enough on the topics of comics however, I don't find her nearly as approachable as I do the owner of Purple Earth. I've been in Comic World a ton of times and I've never seen her out from behind the counter.

The positives.

1) Nicely laid out and organized as far as the back issues go.

2) Pretty wide selection of back issues....Bronze...silver and golden aged books.

This shop is definitly a back issue shop.

Over all B-

Between the two shops there is enough to satisfy the majority of collectors in my small area.

I got laid off 2 1/2 weeks ago. With all that free time on my hands (you can only look for a job so much during the day), I started to roam the city going to different comic shops.

I took notes for each one -- what I bought, what I thought of the place, what the clerk was like -- and have compiled them here for you. Obviously this is just one person's opinion, and I suspect that a lot of you will disagree with me on things. Most of the places I've been to in the past, but these are all I went to in the past 17 days.

I got a job and it starts Tuesday, so I think this is it.

Hey Raphe -

Congrats on the new job (thumbs u This post is AWESOME! Well done my friend! One of the most informative and interesting posts to show up in CG ever (worship)

Now for the one WAY outside my area.

My father lives in the Clear Water Beach Florida area so while visiting him I found what I believe a comic shop should be,

Yancy Street Comics I believe is the name of the shop. It's in a mall north of Clearwater and the name evades me at the moment.

I would like to start off with the negatives.

1)

Now that that's out of the way...the positives.

This shop is large...clean as can be. Huge variety of current issues...everything on the shelves are bagged and boarded.

There is a very nice selection of back issues....Silver and bronze. They have some high end books ($200+) behind the counter and displayed at a second counter. Everything is very nicely display.

They have a beautiful statue display in the center of the store. And a nice toy selection all around the store.

The prices are already reasonable and I made a decent sized purchase (couple hundred bucks) and they knocked off about 10% off that without me even asking.

Over all if I had a comic shop, this is the type of shop I would want to own.

Grade: A to A+

I got laid off 2 1/2 weeks ago. With all that free time on my hands (you can only look for a job so much during the day), I started to roam the city going to different comic shops.

I took notes for each one -- what I bought, what I thought of the place, what the clerk was like -- and have compiled them here for you. Obviously this is just one person's opinion, and I suspect that a lot of you will disagree with me on things. Most of the places I've been to in the past, but these are all I went to in the past 17 days.

Hey Raphe -

Congrats on the new job (thumbs u This post is AWESOME! Well done my friend! One of the most informative and interesting posts to show up in CG ever (worship)

yeah .....what he said !!! I've been to Chi town twice in 45 years and never plan to be there again but read every word of your post intently.

Variety Comic Book Store

4602 N Western Ave

Chicago, IL 60625

(773) 334-2550

Nice mural on the outside; comic shop from the 80s on the inside. Dark, cluttered, grumpy owner… it’s not really my cup of tea. I didn’t want to bother the owner with any questions, so I quickly left. It’s probably the oldest shop in Chicago, but that doesn’t mean it’s very good.

What did I buy? Nothing

Grade: 4.5

The original owner died a few years back after a long illness. That shop was one of the best back issue locations anywhere. I haven't been there in quite a while though.

We used to have a Laundromat at Western and Montrose. My dad would take me by there to buy comics all the time as a kid. Great memories. Haven't been there in probably 30 years

One stop was my store as a kid. Numerous locations, one on oak park ave, one by brick yard shopping mall. Most recently on Belmont avenue.

Unfortunately one stop ( every location) needs a disaster cleanup crew. Stores look like an episode of hoarders. Stuff laying around everywhere, piles and piles of boxes, back issues in terrible shape, musty smell. Key books displayed on wall all sun damaged and faded......

I have been to One Stop many times, but I hadn't made it west on my shop trips for this write-up. Maybe I'll take a day off and go there again and the shop in Riverside.

Rick's an interesting character. I think he's the sort of owner who if you ask him to get you something, he will find a way to get it. You won't know HOW he gets it, but he will.

I haven't been there in about a year, but you're right that he has too much stuff in the store. Waaaay too much.

I was hoping you would have hit "Comic Asylum" on 111th in Worth for a review. He has an X-Men #1 on the wall that is so sun faded you have to really look closely to see that it's not a black and white copy. Full asking price. That's for starters...

I had to look up where Worth is.

I'll check it out eventually and I'll be sure to get really pissed about the faded X-Men #1.

Hey Raphe -

+1.

You gave, what I felt, was the perfect amount of info in order to form a good mental image of what each shop was like.

Judging by the comments from others in your area, sounds like you were spot on for each one.

Great Job :golfclap:

I have been to One Stop many times, but I hadn't made it west on my shop trips for this write-up. Maybe I'll take a day off and go there again and the shop in Riverside.

Rick's an interesting character. I think he's the sort of owner who if you ask him to get you something, he will find a way to get it. You won't know HOW he gets it, but he will.

I haven't been there in about a year, but you're right that he has too much stuff in the store. Waaaay too much.

From my recent trip there, they may have the issue you want, but you can't buy -- or find -- it while you're there.

I was told to "give him (Rick) a list" and he will get back to me. I wasn't really allowed to go through the back issues w/o assistance, and most of the issues do not have a price. And if they do have a price, it may not be accurate.

On top of the above limitations, they just keep piling stuff in to the store -- as the other location went out of business.

I will agree that the store needs to be more organized, but if you're willing to take the time and dig around, you can find some very interesting stuff.

About his personality...I've known him for 20 years and have never had a problem with him, nor have I ever seen him treat someone poorly (shrug)

Rick is a guy that, while he's always been nice to me, has the personality to rub someone the wrong way. Not purposefully or being an or anything. He reminds me of half of the dealers I used to see at the old Fred Greenberg shows in and around New Jersey in the 80s and 90s.

Great objective report (except for Chicago Comix where you said you didn't like the store as much because the owner once treated you badly). As a former store owner I would take to heart everything you reported. It's these types of candid snapshots that are the most valuable.

My favorite store is the Comix Revolution in Mt.Prospect. The chain doesn't sell old comics but they do buy GA/SA/BA since I'm the buyer!

Another good store is Keith's Komix in Schaumburg. Keith is a former Moondog's manager and one of the most intelligent and caring guys there is.

Great list and agree with everything you noted for the most part. Just wanted to plug my shop which you didn't list - Brainstorm in Wicker Park. The owners Sean and Matt are really great. All new issues are bagged and boarded on the racks. Back issues are decent. Good selection of toys and they actually rent movies too.