• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Went To Nearly Every Comic Store Around Chicago So You Wouldn't Have To!

91 posts in this topic

Well you're in the right neighborhood for both. Actually surprised you haven't already

I've definitely never seen fish jump that high in any lake, river or bay that I've been to. If you know of any, I will definitely be paying a visit.

As far as the second one goes, I know plenty of good lakes/bays, but would need to acquire the balloon device.

Sockeye salmon start their journey in fall, leaving the ocean to enter Fraser River. At Hells Gate massive cataracts test the salmon's strength, before entering the Thompson River. They pass South Thompson River before reaching the Shuswap Lake. Finally they will reach their destination in the Adams River. It takes them 3 weeks and 450 km to get there. It is a colourful spectacle, with salmons turning red. As a matter of fact, this is the largest sockeye salmon run of the Canadian West Coast. Every four years the number of salmons returning peaks. The next large run is due in 2002. The best time for viewing is October 1 - 15.

Salmon Run in Roderick Haig-Brown Provincial Park

Chicago Comics

3244 N Clark St

Chicago, IL 60657

(773) 528-1983

www.chicagocomics.com

Yes, that place has so many stuffs.

Last year, I saw Showcase #22 on the wall. It asked for $700 so I asked them to inspect the book. The front cover has a ring and the 3/4 of back cover is sprayed with gold paint with three small ring marks that's where the objects were sprayed over. The cover is detached at the top staple and the centerfold is nearly loose. I happened to carry my OPG in my backpack and showed $850 for GD 2.0. That book would be Poor due to heavy wear and heavy paint. I divided $850 by 2 that would be $425. Again, I deducted $425 by 25%. That would be around $319. They said $700 is a firm price. I found nothing in all BINs but a nice NM Detective Comics #474 for only $3 but the cash register increased to $50. Wait a minute! I found $3 price on it. He disagreed with me so I had to raise my voice in the front of the customers. I didn't care so he decided to drop it to $30. I bought it and walked out with a furious face.

Never went back to that store so my grade for this store is.....

Grade: 2.5

One stop was my store as a kid. Numerous locations, one on oak park ave, one by brick yard shopping mall. Most recently on Belmont avenue.

Unfortunately one stop ( every location) needs a disaster cleanup crew. Stores look like an episode of hoarders. Stuff laying around everywhere, piles and piles of boxes, back issues in terrible shape, musty smell. Key books displayed on wall all sun damaged and faded......

Rick the owner knows his comics but is a bit of a jerk........

Surprised any of these " one stops" are even still in business.

I will agree that the store needs to be more organized, but if you're willing to take the time and dig around, you can find some very interesting stuff.

About his personality...I've known him for 20 years and have never had a problem with him, nor have I ever seen him treat someone poorly (shrug)

Has anyone been to One Stop recently? I hadn't been there since 2001 (when organization of the store stock was relatively good) until I was in the area with time to kill in 2015 -- stuff piled to the ceiling and three young men screaming Batman quotes at each other (I don't think Rick was around that day). I'd just come from the Austin district and felt more welcome there.

Anyway, has it gotten better? I hope so because I've always enjoyed talking to Rick, especially since he was the one who could finally tell me what happened to Comics Galore (formerly of LaGrange and Western Springs).

I don't remember the last time I was at One Stop but it's always been a dump. Which is a shame since Rick has been great at Chicago conventions and has had great books. Its too bad the actual brick and mortar store makes it impossible to buy any of them.

especially since he was the one who could finally tell me what happened to Comics Galore (formerly of LaGrange and Western Springs).

Okay, what exactly did happen to Comics Galore ? I know the owner got married. I heard he simply closed up and took his inventory with him. I don't think he ran a final store sale. I kinda miss the store.

especially since he was the one who could finally tell me what happened to Comics Galore (formerly of LaGrange and Western Springs).

Okay, exactly what did happen to Comics Galore ? I know the owner got married. I heard he simply closed up and took his inventory with him. I don't think he ran final store sale. I kinda miss the store.

From what Rick told me, Ray's wife had gotten ill and he needed a more stable job with better insurance. I guess his uncle hooked him up, so he sold his stock to Rick and closed down. It was a damn shame that it happened out of the blue, I'd been going there since I was about 9 years old.