• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

which superhero movie will rule this summer's WW box office?

54 posts in this topic

Going to see cap tonight. I still think it will be the one to beat this summer in terms of quality with dofp being second, guardians a close third and then realllllly far back is asm in 4th. In terms of box office I think guardians will be tough to beat. Dofp and and winter soldier seem more geared toward the adult and teen box office which will do well (I'm thinking 80-90 million opening weekend for cap) but guardians will draw little kids who want to see the cute talking raccoon. Just my 2c

Because of the dubbing that can be done with Spidey's mask and other CG characters and huge overseas popularity of the franchise up to date, I would dare predict pretty close to a $1 billion for ASM 2, myself. There was a lot of momemtum after the last one. Remember, it doesn't matter if it sucks here, it's how it plays abroad.

Guardians of the Galaxy, same deal, but it's just establishing itself. I'll say $500 million too. The sequel will explode, if the original engages the audience.

X-men will make an easy $750 million or more. It's quality won't matter.

Now, Captain America. Let's be honest. It's gonna probably play huge here, but not Iron Man 3 huge. So, there's $250+ million, but overseas, ummmm... a superhero in spangles without the Avengers, might be deemed too United States. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess, $500 million abroad.

+1

I think DoFP is going to be a monster. Bronze age fans will flock to see this flick.

Thank accounts for the first million dollars in ticket sales ( I'm being very generous), just 749 million to go.

Kids and grand kids will be dragged to see it with them. Trust me I am taking my kids.

Be happy to take a friendly wager on its gross if you want. :baiting:

I'm not going to speculate on the gross, the movie may well turn out to be a hit, but it's success is not going to depend on ticket buyers familiar with the source for the plot. Just as the Captain America movie won't be depending on Brubaker fans to run up the box office totals.

my guesses:

ASM II: $750MM WW

Cap $650MM WW

X-Men $575MM WW (add $50mm if it plays in China)

GOTG: $500MM WW (add $50MM if it plays in China)

I'm not sure about the box office totals, but the order I'm interested in these movies is:

Cap

GOTG

ASM II

X-Men

ASM and the previous X-Men movies killed my "must see at the movie" interest in these franchises. ASM holds a little more interest than X-Men mostly because the X-Men franchise is so screwed up. I really enjoyed the first Captain America movie. GOTG looks like it will be fun.

Does ASM II look like a video game to anyone else? Everytime I see the trailer for this thing, it looks like I'm watching someone else playing a video game.

I'm most interested in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Godzilla though. The superhero movies are definitely not my top movie interests for the first summer in a long time.

Yeah, I'm reading some tremendous things in the reviews for Cap 2...even if it's not brilliant, it sounds like perhaps the finest film of all of these listed...I will see it multiple times if so. I think the box office will be very strong once word of mouth gets around; there's not much competition in April, anyway.

I thought the first ASM was merely OK, so I'm not as enthusiastic about the sequel given that the CGI-heavy trailer did not have me going 'wow'. Lots of villains -- a weakness of SM3 -- and I'm not a huge Garfield fan. It will do fine at the box, I'm sure.

GOTG could be wonderful or a real clunker. I have to reserve judgment for now. I thought the trailer was merely OK, as the jokes didn't really make me laugh. But it could all come together if the -script is good.

Same goes for the X-Men movie...I love the cast, but there are so many characters and what seems to be a convoluted storyline that I'm wary of it being a good movie overall. It does, however, have the emotional weight of being the final go-round for Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, etc., so I'm intrigued.

Transformers? Not for me. Will do fine money-wise.

D

Yeah, I'm reading some tremendous things in the reviews for Cap 2...even if it's not brilliant, it sounds like perhaps the finest film of all of these listed...I will see it multiple times if so. I think the box office will be very strong once word of mouth gets around; there's not much competition in April, anyway.

I thought the first ASM was merely OK, so I'm not as enthusiastic about the sequel given that the CGI-heavy trailer did not have me going 'wow'. Lots of villains -- a weakness of SM3 -- and I'm not a huge Garfield fan. It will do fine at the box, I'm sure.

GOTG could be wonderful or a real clunker. I have to reserve judgment for now. I thought the trailer was merely OK, as the jokes didn't really make me laugh. But it could all come together if the -script is good.

Same goes for the X-Men movie...I love the cast, but there are so many characters and what seems to be a convoluted storyline that I'm wary of it being a good movie overall. It does, however, have the emotional weight of being the final go-round for Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, etc., so I'm intrigued.

Transformers? Not for me. Will do fine money-wise.

D

I agree with everything you said.

Basically they were able to create a taught spy thriller with all the fun of a regular marvel movie (just great balance of jokes and funny moments with very tense scenes. There are definitely moments where you would totally forget you're watching a marvel superhero movie if it wasn't for the fact he's carrying caps shield. Scar jo did a great Job on this, the guy who played falcon was awesome (I could totally get behind a falcon Netflix series) Robert Redford was really good and my favorite was that they gave Sam Jackson a ton of screen time and he was bad beyond bad ads. Gave Nick fury all the awesomeness from the old sternacko comics. 10/10. I plan on going again for the Thursday night showing.

my guesses:

ASM II: $750MM WW

Cap $650MM WW

X-Men $575MM WW (add $50mm if it plays in China)

GOTG: $500MM WW (add $50MM if it plays in China)

I'm not sure about the box office totals, but the order I'm interested in these movies is:

Cap

GOTG

ASM II

X-Men

ASM and the previous X-Men movies killed my "must see at the movie" interest in these franchises. ASM holds a little more interest than X-Men mostly because the X-Men franchise is so screwed up. I really enjoyed the first Captain America movie. GOTG looks like it will be fun.

Does ASM II look like a video game to anyone else? Everytime I see the trailer for this thing, it looks like I'm watching someone else playing a video game.

I'm most interested in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Godzilla though. The superhero movies are definitely not my top movie interests for the first summer in a long time.

+1

Also not only do the special effects look like a video game, but it looks like a video game that was made 5 years ago. The new video games like Grand Theft Auto 5, Halo and the Assassin`s Creed look to have better special effects then ASM 2!

I am a big Spider-Man, but something doesn`t look right with this movie.

I hope it`s just the trailer and I am 100 percent wrong. :wishluck: