• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Good thing those differences don't come with financial consequences & rewards.

I said it in my "scmidt is a mod" post as well,

CGC will eventually have to have public grading standards, and notes, and a policy for re-grading. I understand why they dont do it, but the competition will eventually rise to force it upon them.

Do other 3rd party grading companies do this?

What other 3rd party grading companies? ???

I said to myself I wasn't gonna comment on here until CGC said how they were gonna handle this. To me that was important. Everybody screws up, once or twice or many times (as with myself). Owning up to a mistake is just as important too. Good enough explanation to me.

"We screwed up" isn't an explanation. :gossip:

I said to myself I wasn't gonna comment on here until CGC said how they were gonna handle this. To me that was important. Everybody screws up, once or twice or many times (as with myself). Owning up to a mistake is just as important too. Good enough explanation to me.

I would call it owning up to a mistake if they said something like 'It's not trimmed. We were unwilling to admit we were wrong when everyone in the building said it was trimmed.'

To me that would be admitting they were wrong. Saying it is trimmed is just the 'less wrong' path....

CGC will eventually have to have public grading standards, and notes, and a policy for re-grading. I understand why they dont do it, but the competition will eventually rise to force it upon them.

I need to say this right now. I am PRO CGC, I am not advocating any other grading companies.

The answer to your question is yes, the newest upstart does have re-grading as part of its policies. I also believe, they have public grading standards.

My point is not that the existing competition doing this is going to impact CGC, but the fact that they are doing it points to the desire. When EVERY one of your customers would prefer you would do something that would benefit them, and you dont, because of short term costs.

That's abusing your monopoly, and capitalism hasnt changed and predates CGC. It's a few years off, but real competition will come.

Moderns are the main thing being slabbed, and you dont need to be a resto-expert to grade them. Transparency, better policies, and a focus on Moderns.

That's where CGC is going to get hammered first. All it takes is for Ebay sales to come close to parity in terms of value added, or at the least, (if its cheaper slabbing), for Ebay sales plus the cost savings to even out.

Especially if its tightly graded, and the buyer and seller both know they could crack it out and get the same (or higher) grade from CGC.

Trust me, as impossible as it seems, these issues will eventually come to fruition. Just ask blackberry, or Kodak, what happens when you combine, monopoly, abusive policies, short-sightedness, and arrogance....

Edited by CBT

What other 3rd party grading companies? ???

PSA, NCG, PGX, AFA, etc

How the heck was it a 7.0 in the purple label case?

A book doesn't get a grade bump just because it's a PLOD correct?

The fact that a micro-trim was missed isn't that upsetting to me, since it's happened before.

:eyeroll:

But the difference between a 6.0 and 7.0 on a JIM 83 is huge.

-Yes, I'm the only person in the thread more concerned about that than the trim which probably makes me a weirdo.

No one who has been paying attention expects CGC ( or practically anyone else) to guarantee they will grade a book the same way twice. Grading is too subjective, and prone to shifting assessments of what the sum of the flaws should mean. In part the faith in CGC's grading is that it is impartial, not that it is absolute. It would be nice if CGC appeared to be a bit more consistent some times, but that's what you are going to get with multiple graders, even if they are using the same criteria. To repeat, there are no absolute grades, the best we can do is find a fairly tight ( generally 2-3 grades) range that most knowledgeable people can agree on. Does CGC sometimes fall outside of a general consensus of what that might be? Yes, and a 7.0 for this particular book may be such a case, but it is hardly unique, and even the most trusted and consistent of graders may at times find their opinion at odds with the bulk of the collecting community.

CGC serves it purpose by being the referee to the hobby. Are they perfect? No. But for sellers and buyers across long distance a few simple pics to show the graded comic books is sufficient to complete a transaction. It is this that I welcome third party grading services.

I agree that there should be more transparency to instill trusts among collectors and sooner or later it will come. In defense to cgc, even with all the transparencies and rules, referees often make mistakes that cost teams agame or two.

Grading services like cgc will improve with time and technological advances. Assuming they continue to invest in the technological advances.

I need to say this right now. I am PRO CGC, I am not advocating any other grading companies.

The answer to your question is yes, the newest upstart does have re-grading as part of its policies. I also believe, they have public grading standards.

Can you post a link. I'm sure I just missed it

I see them charging 8 dollars more for a regrade, what else?

CGC serves it purpose by being the referee to the hobby. Are they perfect? No. But for sellers and buyers across long distance a few simple pics to show the graded comic books is sufficient to complete a transaction. It is this that I welcome third party grading services.

I agree that there should be more transparency to instill trusts among collectors and sooner or later it will come. In defense to cgc, even with all the transparencies and rules, referees often make mistakes that cost teams agame or two.

Grading services like cgc will improve with time and technological advances. Assuming they continue to invest in the technological advances.

as in court rulings, if a re-grading policy existed, it would only apply to a book that was wrong, "beyond all resonable doubt", not to change things that are close enough to be debateable.

That's what the competition has started to introduce, and while the competition is irrelevant today, some day it wont be, and CGC will be forced to respond and mirror.

Same with transparency and accountability

CGC serves it purpose by being the referee to the hobby.

CGC isn't the referee. CGC is the means of production.

Who's the referee?

CGC serves it purpose by being the referee to the hobby.

CGC isn't the referee. CGC is the means of production.

So CGC isn't the ref, it's the game itself?

hm

"We screwed up" isn't an explanation. :gossip:

lol I was searching for a word from the statement Plitch wrote. "Explanation" that they screwed up seemed best and polite.