• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

I think a fair solution to this would be to take a market to the front cover so there is no question of it ever trying to sneak past CGCs detection system again,reslab it and return it to Spider Dan who can sell it.

Just taking it back and having it disappear into the Heritage/ Collectors World vault is

just asking for trouble.

Another joke...right?

Greetings all,

So in going over this JIM #83, we made a mistake on this one.

The book IS trimmed (on the top edge of the cover), as we went over it thoroughly in February. So how did it come through just last week and go out the door as a blue label? Well, first off, it was certainly *not* any kind of under-the-table deal with anybody. As it has been often stated, the graders do not know who the submitter is and grades every book as if it is the first time they have seen it. This also has nothing to do with which graders saw the book. Quite simply, when it comes to checking for restoration, some books are *obviously* restored (or trimmed) and some are obviously not. There are a few books, though, where the restoration can be extremely subtle and require extra scrutiny. If nothing sends up a "red flag" for the particular graders on a book, it can, unfortunately (but rarely), get by us.

Like others have said in this thread, and we have stated ourselves, we are not perfect. But the team of graders we have here are, bar none, the best in the business. In grading nearly 3 million books, we have admittedly made errors. But when an error is brought to our attention we fix whatever the problem is. We strive to "make it right" for the owner so that everyone comes away satisfied.

Right now we are in the process of purchasing the JIM #83 from the new owner in order to remove it from the market.

We obviously take great pride in the confidence that people have in CGC, we appreciate their trust, and are always trying to improve our company in every way, from restoration detection, to turnaround times, to our holder, and more.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Good.

Now...

How the heck was it a 7.0 in the purple label case?

A book doesn't get a grade bump just because it's a PLOD correct?

The fact that a micro-trim was missed isn't that upsetting to me, since it's happened before.

:eyeroll:

But the difference between a 6.0 and 7.0 on a JIM 83 is huge.

-Yes, I'm the only person in the thread more concerned about that than the trim which probably makes me a weirdo.

And I don't think your stupidity is an act...

I trust your judgment. You would certainly be the local stupidity expert.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, and not the movie with Joseph Cotton.

It's always the same fools on the anti-Kav bandwagon. What a circle jerk.

In my book whoever has to hurl insults first has lost the argument.

A fool, hardly. But I'll paypal you $50.00 to stop your worthless, endless babbling for 24 hours.

You have a deal

ddkaviraj@aol.com

So disappear for the 24 hours. When you com back, you get paid. I don't know many jobs that pay you before you perform the service. In the meantime, we'll have a telethon and see what we raise.

hm

Seriously, Kav, just count to 100 before you post...that way someone else will get a chance, you will have more time to compose your posts and sometimes, less is more;)

Leave the wit and sarcasm to the professionals.

Your wit is about as professional as Kramer's stand-up routine....

Yet wit it is, thus making his point that you have none valid.

ok dude

7vu4z.jpg

And the book quote=Bleuhawaii]
The buyer is a boardie. Why is he not on here speaking for himself? What was and was not said between him and CGC would be a lot more credible coming from him then it is coming secondhand from Dan.

Why not speak up? What's he got to lose? Or is there something we're not supposed to know...

hm

Whether or not there was any intent to play the system, the buyer and the book (as it sits now) I would think will be forever be labeled. Just like the bathroom book from Seinfeld.

Why? He didn't do anything wrong, right?

A fool, hardly. But I'll paypal you $50.00 to stop your worthless, endless babbling for 24 hours.

You have a deal

ddkaviraj@aol.com

So disappear for the 24 hours. When you com back, you get paid. I don't know many jobs that pay you before you perform the service. In the meantime, we'll have a telethon and see what we raise.

hm

Seriously, Kav, just count to 100 before you post...that way someone else will get a chance, you will have more time to compose your posts and sometimes, less is more;)

Compose..... :roflmao:

You have a deal

ddkaviraj@aol.com

hm

Compose..... :roflmao:

Compost?

Buyer said it was OK to share

- As of 9am this CGC wanted the book to look it over again and make a determination. Offered buyer $3500 to buy the book outright.

- Buyer does not respond to CGC as he wants to keep the book for his collection (his intentions the entire time)

- CGC makes a statement around 5pm stating they are in the process of buying the book back, and it is DEFINATELY trimmed

What to believe?? Maybe I'm the one being April Fooled (shrug)

That book needs to be inspected by an unbiased third-party.

WTF Plitch? Is the above bolded part true?

Not sure which is the worse scenario :

1)That the book is trimmed & CGC missed it twice.

2)The book isn't trimmed, and CGC is claiming that it is.

:ohnoez:

And I hope they don't overreact to this mistake.

To me labeling a book trimmed that isn't is a worse injustice than missing one that is.

Seriously, this a LOT for cgc to expect us to swallow!

Two out of three times it's in a blue label, now without even looking at it again, it's DEFINITELY trimmed.

Oh and don't get me started on the "the new owner just wanted this book for his collection forever so he's keeping it". Seems more than a little odd that there's be a fairly expensive walkthru resub on a book he just wanted for his collection and instead of explaining the situation himself, a "friend" with 0 posts is speaking for him meh

Hey, what do I know? Kudos on your resto checks CGC :applause:

Good.

Now...

The fact that a micro-trim was missed isn't that upsetting to me, since it's happened before.

-Yes, I'm the only person in the thread more concerned about that than the trim which probably makes me a weirdo.

it went blue-purple-blue, and 6-7-6, additionally the PQ changed as well.

And the book quote=Bleuhawaii]
The buyer is a boardie. Why is he not on here speaking for himself? What was and was not said between him and CGC would be a lot more credible coming from him then it is coming secondhand from Dan.

Why not speak up? What's he got to lose? Or is there something we're not supposed to know...

hm

Whether or not there was any intent to play the system, the buyer and the book (as it sits now) I would think will be forever be labeled. Just like the bathroom book from Seinfeld.

Why? He didn't do anything wrong, right?

I would hope not but do you think even if he says that and it is true, everyone will believe it? I personally have no clue but admit it would at the back of my mind.

Oh and kav, you're falling behind, go here

, a "friend" with 0 posts is speaking for him meh

the friends had 3 posts, including one in January, where he refered to himself as Mike...

so it wasnt a brand new account, just a very low post one.

just a point to add

Good.

Now...

Good thing those differences don't come with financial consequences & rewards.

Good.

Now...

Don't forget it went blue-purple-blue-now it's purple again. Unexamined, I might add. Based solely on what they now remember when dude went around 'showing it' to everyone. Then they forgot about it now they remember it so accurately they can unequivocally state it is 'definitely trimmed'....

I said it in my "scmidt is a mod" post as well,

CGC will eventually have to have public grading standards, and notes, and a policy for re-grading. I understand why they dont do it, but the competition will eventually rise to force it upon them.

Edited by CBT

CGC will eventually have to have public grading standards, and notes, and a policy for re-grading. I understand why they dont do it, but the competition will eventually rise to force it upon them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the slabbed market completely crashes before a viable competitor ever surfaces.

I wouldn't be surprised if the slabbed market completely crashes before a viable competitor ever surfaces.

I am a strong believer that a full market crash has been in the works for years, (OA too, but as long as the US is printing so much money that wont happen...I digress) .

Even IF/WHEN a major market correction happens in comics, CGC will still be here. If anything, it would help competition get a foothold, by forcing down the margins drastically.

Do other 3rd party grading companies do this?

Edited by Rip

I said to myself I wasn't gonna comment on here until CGC said how they were gonna handle this. To me that was important. Everybody screws up, once or twice or many times (as with myself). Owning up to a mistake is just as important too. Good enough explanation to me.