• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

So in going over this JIM #83, we made a mistake on this one.

The book IS trimmed (on the top edge of the cover), as we went over it thoroughly in February. So how did it come through just last week and go out the door as a blue label? Well, first off, it was certainly *not* any kind of under-the-table deal with anybody. As it has been often stated, the graders do not know who the submitter is and grades every book as if it is the first time they have seen it. This also has nothing to do with which graders saw the book. Quite simply, when it comes to checking for restoration, some books are *obviously* restored (or trimmed) and some are obviously not. There are a few books, though, where the restoration can be extremely subtle and require extra scrutiny. If nothing sends up a "red flag" for the particular graders on a book, it can, unfortunately (but rarely), get by us.

Like others have said in this thread, and we have stated ourselves, we are not perfect. But the team of graders we have here are, bar none, the best in the business. In grading nearly 3 million books, we have admittedly made errors. But when an error is brought to our attention we fix whatever the problem is. We strive to "make it right" for the owner so that everyone comes away satisfied.

Right now we are in the process of purchasing the JIM #83 from the new owner in order to remove it from the market.

We obviously take great pride in the confidence that people have in CGC, we appreciate their trust, and are always trying to improve our company in every way, from restoration detection, to turnaround times, to our holder, and more.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Without reading the next 100 pages of responses and helping sway my decision, my first initial reaction to this is good job for addressing it, but I don't see how the process of buying a book to take it off the market helps anything. The real problem lies in the fact that trimming cannot be detected 100% of the time so what are you going to do to address that issue going forward

Some suggestions: How about taking trimming away from getting a purple lablel and just making it a note on a blue label? How about making graders notes FREE for books with resto at least? How about including proof of your findings for the owners of the book with trimmed/resto books with pictures FREE of charge. How about if you buy a CGC membership you get some of the above included free with membership?

I can understand mistakes being made, but what just happened with the JIM 83 is a real eye opener for a lot of people on these boards (people who really drive the CGC market). CGC needs to start being held accountable better with restoration detection from this debacle that just happened.

And if it's a huge trim green label it.

Greetings all,

The book IS trimmed (on the top edge of the cover), as we went over it thoroughly in February. So how did it come through just last week and go out the door as a blue label? Well, first off, it was certainly *not* any kind of under-the-table deal with anybody. As it has been often stated, the graders do not know who the submitter is and grades every book as if it is the first time they have seen it. This also has nothing to do with which graders saw the book. Quite simply, when it comes to checking for restoration, some books are *obviously* restored (or trimmed) and some are obviously not. There are a few books, though, where the restoration can be extremely subtle and require extra scrutiny. If nothing sends up a "red flag" for the particular graders on a book, it can, unfortunately (but rarely), get by us.

Like others have said in this thread, and we have stated ourselves, we are not perfect. But the team of graders we have here are, bar none, the best in the business. In grading nearly 3 million books, we have admittedly made errors. But when an error is brought to our attention we fix whatever the problem is. We strive to "make it right" for the owner so that everyone comes away satisfied.

Right now we are in the process of purchasing the JIM #83 from the new owner in order to remove it from the market.

We obviously take great pride in the confidence that people have in CGC, we appreciate their trust, and are always trying to improve our company in every way, from restoration detection, to turnaround times, to our holder, and more.

Without reading the next 100 pages of responses and helping sway my decision, my first initial reaction to this is good job for addressing it, but I don't see how the process of buying a book to take it off the market helps anything. The real problem lies in the fact that trimming cannot be detected 100% of the time so what are you going to do to address that issue going forward

Some suggestions: How about taking trimming away from getting a purple lablel and just making it a note on a blue label? How about making graders notes FREE for books with resto at least? How about including proof of your findings for the owners of the book with trimmed/resto books with pictures FREE of charge. How about if you buy a CGC membership you get some of the above included free with membership?

I can understand mistakes being made, but what just happened with the JIM 83 is a real eye opener for a lot of people on these boards (people who really drive the CGC market). CGC needs to start being held accountable better with restoration detection from this debacle that just happened.

hm

Well said and I will agree with this post

Greetings all,

hm

Well said and I will agree with this post

Dang when i said essentially the same thing I was called stupid etc.

MEDIA BIAS

Greetings all,

Good.

Now...

How the heck was it a 7.0 in the purple label case?

A book doesn't get a grade bump just because it's a PLOD correct?

The fact that a micro-trim was missed isn't that upsetting to me, since it's happened before.

:eyeroll:

But the difference between a 6.0 and 7.0 on a JIM 83 is huge.

-Yes, I'm the only person in the thread more concerned about that than the trim which probably makes me a weirdo.

This thread clearly shows that CGC can't detect trimming consistently. That's very concerning and is the 'headline' of this thread. That the grade can change from 6.0 to 7.0 isn't getting much attention and that's a shame. This thread questions CGC's consistency in regards to both it's restoration detection AND it's grading. Very disturbing.

Agree. I would hope that a book would not change this much on 3 different submissions for the big 3: resto, grade and page quality. But hey, it's in a nice holder now and fairly protected from the elements so all is good...

Without Kav, this thread would be three pages.

People used to say that about me.

Yep. I'm the new whipping boy. And, I relish my role.

Compared to him, you're a Tibetan monk.

Bottom line:

CGC sucks at detecting trimming.

Still haven't heard what's being done about that. It feels like the bias is, if they can't tell if it's been trimmed or not, they're going to say TRIMMED just to be safe.

Am I missing something?

MEDIA BIAS

No, just 300 posts a day bias. lol

For some concrete data:

Last week Kav had 349 posts. Next closest person surprisingly wasn't Slym and only came in at 177. Some guy named timern- coiny I presume…

http://boardreader.com/site/www_collectors_society_com_17426.html

You know you're an important dude when people start collecting your stats.

This thread questions CGC's consistency in regards to both it's restoration detection AND it's grading. Very disturbing.

It also illustrates that Kav tries too hard. WAY too hard.

Peace,

Chip

Yup, he didn't take my advice earlier in the thread. Shame really.

Only when they were being nice, you hippie.

MEDIA BIAS

No, just 300 posts a day bias. lol

For some concrete data:

Last week Kav had 349 posts. Next closest person surprisingly wasn't Slym and only came in at 177. Some guy named timern- coiny I presume…

http://boardreader.com/site/www_collectors_society_com_17426.html

Dayam. :eek:

This thread questions CGC's consistency in regards to both it's restoration detection AND it's grading. Very disturbing.

It also illustrates that Kav tries too hard. WAY too hard.

Peace,

Chip

Yup, he didn't take my advice earlier in the thread. Shame really.

Some advice for people giving me advice: if everyone's trying to give me advice i'm just gonna ignore all the advice.