• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Without Kav, this thread would be three pages.

People used to say that about me.

Compared to him, you're a Tibetan monk.

Now you're making me sound like Park.

You mean out and out awesome? :acclaim:

Your Kung Fu always was better.

Trimming, shrimming. Get over here.

071083a4-6533-412b-8104-94c07a784a38_zps6e69ae0c.gif

I'm now officially Parkophobic.

lol

I heard my name whispered on the wind.

From five miles away through the trees? :whee:

PS Roy never whispers.*

*That sounds so creepy but I am leaving it.

What was that, season 2?

Our forgiveness of TWD irregularities. How naive we were.

And I don't think your stupidity is an act...

I trust your judgment. You would certainly be the local stupidity expert.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, and not the movie with Joseph Cotton.

It's always the same fools on the anti-Kav bandwagon. What a circle jerk.

In my book whoever has to hurl insults first has lost the argument.

A fool, hardly. But I'll paypal you $50.00 to stop your worthless, endless babbling for 24 hours.

Far be it for me to defend kav, but I find his postings to be the embodiment of Sturgeon's law.

Nothing is ever absolutely so?

About 90% of his posts are (well, "" is too strong a term, more like "fluff", but Sturgeon said ""), but there's some good stuff, too. So it's not worthless. Can't say that for everyone, so I consider my statement a compliment of sorts.

Greetings all,

So in going over this JIM #83, we made a mistake on this one.

The book IS trimmed (on the top edge of the cover), as we went over it thoroughly in February. So how did it come through just last week and go out the door as a blue label? Well, first off, it was certainly *not* any kind of under-the-table deal with anybody. As it has been often stated, the graders do not know who the submitter is and grades every book as if it is the first time they have seen it. This also has nothing to do with which graders saw the book. Quite simply, when it comes to checking for restoration, some books are *obviously* restored (or trimmed) and some are obviously not. There are a few books, though, where the restoration can be extremely subtle and require extra scrutiny. If nothing sends up a "red flag" for the particular graders on a book, it can, unfortunately (but rarely), get by us.

Like others have said in this thread, and we have stated ourselves, we are not perfect. But the team of graders we have here are, bar none, the best in the business. In grading nearly 3 million books, we have admittedly made errors. But when an error is brought to our attention we fix whatever the problem is. We strive to "make it right" for the owner so that everyone comes away satisfied.

Right now we are in the process of purchasing the JIM #83 from the new owner in order to remove it from the market.

We obviously take great pride in the confidence that people have in CGC, we appreciate their trust, and are always trying to improve our company in every way, from restoration detection, to turnaround times, to our holder, and more.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Right thing to do. Thanks for the update.

MEDIA BIAS

No, just 300 posts a day bias. lol

For some concrete data:

Last week Kav had 349 posts. Next closest person surprisingly wasn't Slym and only came in at 177. Some guy named timern- coiny I presume…

http://boardreader.com/site/www_collectors_society_com_17426.html

Hey, don't drag me into this…pleeease!!! :blahblah::o

Oh wow you're not a coiny. I recognize the avatar and the sig but I didn't recognize the name. My fault.

And I was only trying to illustrate how much Kav posts. Sorry to call you out.

Aaaahgg, I've been outed!!! :ohnoez:

:P Stop grading so much lol

He'sbeen going strong in the Numbers Game threads...

Greetings all,

The book IS trimmed (on the top edge of the cover), as we went over it thoroughly in February. So how did it come through just last week and go out the door as a blue label? Well, first off, it was certainly *not* any kind of under-the-table deal with anybody. As it has been often stated, the graders do not know who the submitter is and grades every book as if it is the first time they have seen it. This also has nothing to do with which graders saw the book. Quite simply, when it comes to checking for restoration, some books are *obviously* restored (or trimmed) and some are obviously not. There are a few books, though, where the restoration can be extremely subtle and require extra scrutiny. If nothing sends up a "red flag" for the particular graders on a book, it can, unfortunately (but rarely), get by us.

Like others have said in this thread, and we have stated ourselves, we are not perfect. But the team of graders we have here are, bar none, the best in the business. In grading nearly 3 million books, we have admittedly made errors. But when an error is brought to our attention we fix whatever the problem is. We strive to "make it right" for the owner so that everyone comes away satisfied.

Right now we are in the process of purchasing the JIM #83 from the new owner in order to remove it from the market.

We obviously take great pride in the confidence that people have in CGC, we appreciate their trust, and are always trying to improve our company in every way, from restoration detection, to turnaround times, to our holder, and more.

+1 I agree. CGC is doing the right thing. I am perfectly satisfied with this answer. However, regarding the current owner/submitter of this book, what the heck were you thinking ? I can't understand why you would resub this book in the first place and, miracle of miracles, you get a Blue Label and immediately tell Dan about it. What did you expect ? Also, it seems awfully cowardly to do your talking through Dan and not come on here to discuss. It sure makes it appear as if you are hiding something.

Greetings all,

+1 I agree. CGC is doing the right thing. I am perfectly satisfied with this answer. However, regarding the current owner/submitter of this book, what the heck were you thinking ? I can't understand why you would resub this book in the first place and, miracle of miracles, you get a Blue Label and immediately tell Dan about it. What did you expect ? Also, it seems awfully cowardly to do your talking through Dan and not come on here to discuss. It sure makes it appear as if you are hiding something.

everybody has something to hide :sumo:

not my book :kidaround:

this thread does make me want to submit the few "trimmed" books that I have that I questioned CGC's opinion.......at least then CGC would buy them. doh!

Greetings all,

No no didn't you read Dan's transmission of his statement, this book was meant for his permanent collection to never ever leave again. That's why he immediately paid a couple hundred bucks for a walk-through submission as soon as he bought the book. Uh huh

Greetings all,

No no didn't you read Dan's transmission of his statement, this book was meant for his permanent collection to never ever leave again. That's why he immediately paid a couple hundred bucks for a walk-through submission as soon as he bought the book. Uh huh

I knew I should have saved my 20,000 th post for a better moment. I have to agree here that resubbing immediately makes no sense whatsoever.....

What does it matter what the submitter was thinking by resumitting. What matters is that it slipped through cgc's restoration detection. The question is how many thousands of these blue purples are circulating in the hands of unsuspecting collectors. I would like cgc to address that problem. How will cgc regain the confidence of collectors if you can't be sure what you're buying.

What does it matter what the submitter was thinking by resumitting. What matters is that it slipped through cgc's restoration detection. The question is how many thousands of these blue purples are circulating in the hands of unsuspecting collectors. I would like cgc to address that problem. How will cgc regain the confidence of collectors if you can't be sure what you're buying.

16,253 to be exact

The poor unsuspecting collectors. It's a good thing that people didn't trim and restore books before the CGC came around or there would have been a lot of poor unsuspecting collectors then too with absolutely no idea that their books were restored and no one they could pay to give them a somewhat expert opinion either.

Dan also said the buyer didnt believe that it was trimmed (as he didnt), knew that it had previously been blue, so subbed it again.

Many people would do the same. And who can blame the buyer for not appearing, when CGC has an army of mindless zealots ready to attack should he appear.

Greetings all,

I knew I should have saved my 20,000 th post for a better moment. I have to agree here that resubbing immediately makes no sense whatsoever.....

You are right, it makes no sense in the context of "this is for my personal permanent collection".

Dan also said the buyer didnt believe that it was trimmed (as he didnt), knew that it had previously been blue, so subbed it again.

Many people would do the same. And who can blame the buyer for not appearing, when CGC has an army of mindless zealots ready to attack should he appear.

Much as CGC has an army of mindless pitchfork wielding critics who can't see the forest for the trees?

See what I did there?

Greetings all,

why "remove it from the market"? because it's been blue, purple, then blue again? taking it away won't change the fact that resto detection is basically a coinflip now.

Here is an unfortunate reality that comes with slabbing:

The item slabbed carries a premium solely because of that number in the upper left hand corner, especially at extremely high grades.

If you remove a 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15 from its slab, it is no longer a $1 point whatever million book.

It doesn't matter if the book is sold 5 seconds after being removed from its slab. Once it is detached from that label, it loses a tremendous amount of its "value."

It can BE a $1 point whatever million book, IF it gets put back in a slab that says "9.6." And if, by chance, it ends up in slab that says "9.4", .the "book" has just lost 60% of its "value."

Even if it is exactly identical to when it resided in a 9.6 slab.

This is the madness of the ultra high grade market, but as long as rich people keep chasing labels, it will not change. There could be, and very likely are, HIGHER quality books in lower number slabs that are worth much less, for the sole and only reason that the label has a lower number on it.

Greetings all,

why "remove it from the market"? because it's been blue, purple, then blue again? taking it away won't change the fact that resto detection is basically a coinflip now.

I doubt it's a "coin flip" but it's no secret that it's never been a 100% certainty. I was much more concerned that they didn't catch color touch on the other book than that they missed trimming on the JIM. Theoretically, CT should be a lot easier to ID.

I wouldn't appear.

Well, I would but if I wasn't me I wouldn't.

Greetings all,

I doubt it's a "coin flip" but it's no secret that it's never been a 100% certainty. I was much more concerned that they didn't catch color touch on the other book than that they missed trimming on the JIM. Theoretically, CT should be a lot easier to ID.

you would think. but if they weren't SS, i'd bet $1,000. that if i resubbed my 3 books that i think are questionably touched, at least one would come back blue (tsk)

Here is an unfortunate reality that comes with slabbing:

The item slabbed carries a premium solely because of that number in the upper left hand corner, especially at extremely high grades.

If you remove a 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15 from its slab, it is no longer a $1 point whatever million book.

It doesn't matter if the book is sold 5 seconds after being removed from its slab. Once it is detached from that label, it loses a tremendous amount of its "value."

It can BE a $1 point whatever million book, IF it gets put back in a slab that says "9.6." And if, by chance, it ends up in slab that says "9.4", .the "book" has just lost 60% of its "value."

Even if it is exactly identical to when it resided in a 9.6 slab.

This is the madness of the ultra high grade market, but as long as rich people keep chasing labels, it will not change. There could be, and very likely are, HIGHER quality books in lower number slabs that are worth much less, for the sole and only reason that the label has a lower number on it.

:applause: pretty much sums it up.