• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Because it's not a "screw up."

It's an opinion, of *this* book, at *this* time, on *this* day.

And yes, you're perfectly right: a 9.6 and 9.8 can often be interchangeable.

There are books that are definitive 9.6 and 9.8.

The problem is that there is no 9.7 grade. I have seen thousands of books that "in my mind" I call a 9.7 and decide if I should give it a 9.6 or 9.8 depending on certain factors, one factor being "Will this book look like a 9.6 or a 9.8 in a holder".

You also can't have a 9.1, 9.3, 9.5 or 9.7 grade in the scale, as it would make it even more difficult to be a consistent grader.

PQ can change depending on the lighting. I had more trouble with PQ at onsite grading than I did sitting at my grading desk in an office.

Not everything that gets typed on the Internet is true.

I know but I'm just wondering why someone would think that-what clues led them to believe such a thing etc...

What about what type of axe they have to grind?

Not even close to enough people for the volume they do. They need to get their act together and stop being a mom&pop shop with everything they do.

They have more than enough income to do much much better. No excuses.

:eyeroll:

:eyeroll: as a mod, its not like you are an unbiased poster

You know you're beginning to make Kav look like the sane one, right? :doh:

You got a well-deserved strike (what was it - a year ago or something?), you're still sore about it and you seem to believe I had something to do with it. I didn't. Deal with it & move on.

If you are a mod, using a member as a term of insult is highly unprofessional.

That works out great, because he isn't a mod.

Why does everyone keep saying that????? That he's a mod???

It's just CBT :gossip:

He got a strike for threatening someone, I happened to see what he posted prior to it getting yanked, ergo I must be CGCMod0 in a cunning disguise. Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either.

Ok that makes sense. Dang if people thought I was a mod I'd milk it....

The problem is that there is no 9.7 grade. I have seen thousands of books that "in my mind" I call a 9.7 and decide if I should give it a 9.6 or 9.8 depending on certain factors, one factor being "Will this book look like a 9.6 or a 9.8 in a holder".

You also can't have a 9.1, 9.3, 9.5 or 9.7 grade in the scale, as it would make it even more difficult to be a consistent grader.

PQ can change depending on the lighting. I had more trouble with PQ at onsite grading than I did sitting at my grading desk in an office.

Luckily there was a 6.5 grade that the JiM # 83 should've maybe ended up at? hm

Not trying to be an arse though, Steve. Just the first thing that popped into my head. :)

Luckily there was a 6.5 grade that the JiM # 83 should've maybe ended up at? hm

Not trying to be an arse though, Steve. Just the first thing that popped into my head. :)

Did anyone request grader's notes on the book or has that already been covered?

Thanks for saying that on the PQ issue. FWIW, I've felt that on-site grading, however popular it might be, has been a bad choice for CGC from the start. Rushed grading, different surroundings for graders, and an inevitable delay for people waiting for books to come back from Sarasota. Sometimes, the most profitable choice is not the best long-term choice.

But you know that.

Everyday I write my daughter a note that I put in her lunch bag, and on it I always write a quote before I write "Have a great day! I Love you!". One of those quotes I write quite often is "We learn and grow by our own mistakes." It just stinks when those mistakes in life cost us money or the enjoyment of something we love. I just want to enjoy our hobby.

End of rantrant

Peace,

-Steve

That's what I miss most about you being at CGC, when you were there every shipment of CGC slabs at my door contained a handwritten note telling me to have a great day & a sandwich with the crust cut off, just how you knew I liked it. :cloud9:

The label changed color; the number on the label did a little two step; the page quality is schizophrenic.

No consistency in grade, page quality, or the results of the resto check. Mistakes happen, the graders are human, yadda, yadda, yadda; I get it. The problem is, when you consider these inconsistencies in the context of a market that values one grade increment over another to such a degree that the time, expense and risk involved in resubmitting books is more often than not worthwhile, and thus profitable, it becomes clear that this entire segment of the hobby has jumped the shark.

Everyday I write my daughter a note that I put in her lunch bag, and on it I always write a quote before I write "Have a great day! I Love you!". One of those quotes I write quite often is "We learn and grow by our own mistakes." It just stinks when those mistakes in life cost us money or the enjoyment of something we love. I just want to enjoy our hobby.

End of rantrant

Peace,

-Steve

That's what I miss most about you being at CGC, when you were there every shipment of CGC slabs at my door contained a handwritten note telling me to have a great day & a sandwich with the crust cut off, just how you knew I liked it. :cloud9:

Don't beg like that, he's gone. Man up and deal with it. :sumo:

End of rantrant

Peace,

-Steve

Those crusts we not cut off, I chewed them off :devil:

And, BTW, I can't understand why you love those gerbil meat & head cheese with ranch dressing sandwiches so much :P

The label changed color; the number on the label did a little two step; the page quality is schizophrenic.

No consistency in grade, page quality, or the results of the resto check. Mistakes happen, the graders are human, yadda, yadda, yadda; I get it. The problem is, when you consider these inconsistencies in the context of a market that values one grade increment over another to such a degree that the time, expense and risk involved in resubmitting books is more often than not worthwhile, and thus profitable, it becomes clear that this entire segment of the hobby has jumped the shark.

You are taking isolated incidents and extrapolating them like it's common place. It isn't.

I made a living fixing Benz's for the last 11 years of that career and yet they are regarded as awesome cars. Why? Because they're perfect? If they were perfect they wouldn't have 10 or 15 dealerships in Southern Ontario to repair them.

You got a well-deserved strike (what was it - a year ago or something?), you're still sore about it and you seem to believe I had something to do with it. I didn't. Deal with it & move on.

the subjective and errant nature of the strike has nothing to do with it.

You quoted me from a post I made that was the last in the thread, and vaporized seconds after it was made.

Nothing is deleted, so you either read it while signed in as a mod, were the mod who deleted it, or talked with the one who did.

Anyway you slice it, you are in this thread doing CGC damage control for them, cause you are a company man.

As I keep saying, I am not against CGC, I use them, still will use them, and advocate them.

There are many things they do which are very deficient, unprofessional, or down right unacceptable. Most of which would change instantly without a monopoly to protect them.

ultimately its just my opinion, but I know that the day of reckoning will come for them due to their short-sightedness and "garage operation" way of doing things.(though its likely 5+ years away)

Just like I know you are a mod or so close to one, its interchangeable.

There is nothing wrong with being a mod either. Just lose the generic numbered accounts, and mod from your real account. Accountability also produces a better product, prevents corruption and nepotism, etc.

Edited by CBT

You are taking isolated incidents and extrapolating them like it's common place. It isn't.

I made a living fixing Benz's for the last 11 years of that career and yet they are regarded as awesome cars. Why? Because they're perfect? If they were perfect they wouldn't have 10 or 15 dealerships in Southern Ontario to repair them.

I'm no English teacher, but isn't this the quintessential straw man's fallacy?

You quoted me from a post I made that was the last in the thread, and vaporized seconds after it was made.

There's nothing unusual about that.

If someone hits the quote button in an attempt to reply before the thread is zapped they can read the quote and keep it indefinitely (or as long as that browser is kept open). It's happened to me on many occasions and it happens to many who spend a lot of time on this forum...

End of rantrant

Peace,

-Steve

Those crusts we not cut off, I chewed them off :devil:

And, BTW, I can't understand why you love those gerbil meat & head cheese with ranch dressing sandwiches so much :P

Could be worse, I could like The Grateful Dead! :baiting:

I'm no English teacher, but isn't this the quintessential straw man's fallacy?

I don't know, is it?

I typed it out pretty fast and it's a poor analogy, I'll admit.

His point is that the hobby has jumped the shark because of grading inconsistencies.

My point is that there is less grading inconsistency than there was when 2000 dealers across the country were grading 3 Million books than when an independent 3rd party is grading 3 Million books.

That really is what is at the center of the discussion.

EDIT: Wait, I thought you were an English teacher??

the subjective and errant nature of the strike has nothing to do with it.

Nothing is deleted, so you either read it while signed in as a mod, were the mod who deleted it, or talked with the one who did.

If you quote a post and can type your reply under it(like I am doing now) but while you are doing so the original post is *poofed* by mods the quote and your reply will still be posted.

There's nothing unusual about that.

That was my very simply and quick reply, its a little more complicated and trust me, he's a mod/in so tight with them might as well be one.

I am not going to dig it all back up, he had a bunch of information which only the mod I was debating with had.

Edited by CBT

Questions for Spider-Dan:

1. If the new owner sells to CGC at $3500, are they making a profit?

2. How does this make you feel?

3. Has CGC reached out to compensate for the difference between your sale price and $3500?

1 - The sale was private, so the sale price must be too :foryou:

2 - I sold the book for what I thought was fair, so I have no feeling one way or the other. My only feeling is I would hope is that the buyer is happy with his purchase :wishluck:

3 - While CGC is in talks with the buyer, the only response I got from CGC was on Sunday - " Wow, that is very disappointing if it's the same book. I will look into it further on Tuesday as I will be out of the office tomorrow"

Like I said before, I sold the book and washed my hands to the whole thing. When the buyer contacted me with this info, I felt obligated to update anyone who was involved in the original thread.

I believe the book is UN-TRIMMED and NO WAY would I sell it to CGC for $3500.

I wish I could buy the book back ,and resub it in 6 months or so and see what happens :ohnoez:

If you quote a post and can type your reply under it(like I am doing now) but while you are doing so the original post is *poofed* by mods the quote and your reply will still be posted.

the post was there for less than ten seconds, was not quoted, and he wasnt in the thread during the entire event, didnt post, wasnt lurking.

additionally there were also things from PMs, as I said, not going dig it all up, this a digression from my point.

Everything thing he has said and done in this thread is attacking people raising legitimate concerns about CGC.

Company Man/Mod,

clear bias.