• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Would you say that CGC is 99.99% accurate? Do they miss 1 restored book out of every 1,000? I am not talking about the grade but the color of the label.

That's the great unknown, Joe.

I know that their grading can go waaaaaaaay off the rails, but their resto check? (shrug)

That there are restored books out there in Blue labels is undeniable. What percentage of the population is hugely debatable.

And I suspect that nobody really wants to find out for sure. :/

pissingcontest.jpg

Hey, this is in Prague! My wife and I saw this on our honeymoon there.

Whew, relieved that I could finally comment in this thread. Get it, relieved? :boo:

I get it.

Relieved.

pissingcontest.jpg

Whew, relieved that I could finally comment in this thread. Get it, relieved? :boo:

A visual for *issing contest.

That is bizarre but if I ever go to Prague, I'll have to whiz by and take a look.

pissingcontest.jpg

A visual for *issing contest.

That is bizarre but if I ever go to Prague, I'll to whiz by and take a look.

lol

No matter what you say about CGC they are selling confidence in the condition of a book vs the wild wild west days when you didn't know what you were getting. Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition. This is what you are paying for, not perfection of results. That is impossible.

Nope.

Show me the raw book that sells for more than the CGC equivalent. (thumbs u

Here is what I bolded and was referring to: Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition.

Nothing was said about price. I said Nope because I personally would rather have the raw book.

So people would pay more for something they want less? And the word 'people' means you? And 'a slabbed book' means Hulk 181?

Do you understand the meaning of the word "EVERYONE?"

There are plenty of people who would rather have a raw than a slabbed book in the same grade, even for the same price. Plenty of people deslab their books because they prefer them raw. The fact slabbed books generally sell for more on EBAY means that SOME (maybe most) prefer slabbed books when BUYING. But that fact that YOU think you can speak for EVERYONE when I would want YOU representing MY PREFERENCES less than anyone else on the boards honestly disgusts me.

You think you're largely accepted now because people don't rag you as much as when you've first started, or that you've curbed your behavior to acceptable levels. But I think that most people just pity you for how sad your life probably is, and embarrassed for how you conduct yourself, or just have you on ignore.

Please learn some context or self awareness, or don't. But please don't think you can speak for 'everyone' in any context, comic or otherwise.

Someone offers you the choice of a CGC 9.8 modern and a raw modern, and I am betting EVERYONE takes the CGC 9.8 regardless of what they "prefer." He could sell the 9.8, pick up a raw and have a little stack for future purchases.

I realize that Kav is annoying, but some parts of some of his posts have merit.

I agree with you, but I think I'm arguing something different.

If you're asking me whether I would prefer a Raw 9.8 plus extra cash to a Raw 9.8, then yes I'd prefer the choice where I'd get extra cash and the same raw.

On the other hand...

I've got a run of mid grade bronze power man, raw. I read it from time to time. Would I be happier if they were slabbed? If someone tried to trade me slabbed 5.0's of the same books, would I make that trade? Nope. Pretty easy example to think of, makes the absolutes seem pretty silly to me. There's context.

I'm just not a fan of people throwing around absolutes when they don't understand the implications of the things they say. And I'm even less a fan of Kav thinking he can speak for 'everyone'.

No matter what you say about CGC they are selling confidence in the condition of a book vs the wild wild west days when you didn't know what you were getting. Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition. This is what you are paying for, not perfection of results. That is impossible.

Nope.

Show me the raw book that sells for more than the CGC equivalent. (thumbs u

Here is what I bolded and was referring to: Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition.

Nothing was said about price. I said Nope because I personally would rather have the raw book.

So people would pay more for something they want less? And the word 'people' means you? And 'a slabbed book' means Hulk 181?

Do you understand the meaning of the word "EVERYONE?"

There are plenty of people who would rather have a raw than a slabbed book in the same grade, even for the same price. Plenty of people deslab their books because they prefer them raw. The fact slabbed books generally sell for more on EBAY means that SOME (maybe most) prefer slabbed books when BUYING. But that fact that YOU think you can speak for EVERYONE when I would want YOU representing MY PREFERENCES less than anyone else on the boards honestly disgusts me.

You think you're largely accepted now because people don't rag you as much as when you've first started, or that you've curbed your behavior to acceptable levels. But I think that most people just pity you for how sad your life probably is, and embarrassed for how you conduct yourself, or just have you on ignore.

Please learn some context or self awareness, or don't. But please don't think you can speak for 'everyone' in any context, comic or otherwise.

Someone offers you the choice of a CGC 9.8 modern and a raw modern, and I am betting EVERYONE takes the CGC 9.8 regardless of what they "prefer." He could sell the 9.8, pick up a raw and have a little stack for future purchases.

I realize that Kav is annoying, but some parts of some of his posts have merit.

I agree with you, but I think I'm arguing something different.

If you're asking me whether I would prefer a Raw 9.8 plus extra cash to a Raw 9.8, then yes I'd prefer the choice where I'd get extra cash and the same raw.

On the other hand...

I've got a run of mid grade bronze power man, raw. I read it from time to time. Would I be happier if they were slabbed? If someone tried to trade me slabbed 5.0's of the same books, would I make that trade? Nope. Pretty easy example to think of, makes the absolutes seem pretty silly to me. There's context.

I'm just not a fan of people throwing around absolutes when they don't understand the implications of the things they say. And I'm even less a fan of Kav thinking he can speak for 'everyone'.

Scratch one less Kav fan...

PS you realize if someone made that trade you could merely remove the books from the slabs and read 'em.....

News flash EVERYONE: Kav was wrong-people do not prefer slabbed books. That's why CGC doesn't exist and no one sends 'em anything to grade. You can all go home now.

This is like five threads in one :ohnoez:

That is why it is so entertaining. lol

Think of it as Mint Rocky Road Coconut Ripple Pistachio Chocolate Chip...

Not even close to enough people for the volume they do. They need to get their act together and stop being a mom&pop shop with everything they do.

They have more than enough income to do much much better. No excuses.

:eyeroll:

Which one of those is you?

???

My solve involvement with CGC is working for the Signature Series program at various shows throughout the year.

They don't pay you to defend them on the interweb?

If not....they should.

Not even close to enough people for the volume they do. They need to get their act together and stop being a mom&pop shop with everything they do.

They have more than enough income to do much much better. No excuses.

:eyeroll:

Which one of those is you?

???

My solve involvement with CGC is working for the Signature Series program at various shows throughout the year.

They don't pay you to defend them on the interweb?

If not....they should.

I'll defend 'em for 50 bucks a month. And you know they'll get their money's worth.....