• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beaujolais... Anybody ?...

30 posts in this topic

So how does 2004 stack up with prior years?

I often get this to go along with a Thanksgiving feast.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

If you believe Georges Duboeuf, 2004 is supposed to be a pretty good year for it. It's all alcoholic Kool-Aid anyway though, so gulp away! yay.gif

Beaujolais, not to shabby. 1999 was a good year for them. Don't really care for the 02+ bottles. I'm currently hooked on Sterling Vinter's Chardonnay. Very nice white. Light with great nose. Semi good on the pallete. Favorite red right now is the Deakin Estates Shiraz (Purple label) really nice. Very rich and full bodied. Not a Big fan or Rieslings, however Dr. Zenzen Two Colors is a really nice desert wine.

i did not know that reisling's were german.

Love beaujolais... cheap and nice to drink. Definitely a Thanksgiving bottle or two before I bust out some quality German Riesling for the main course with an older Sauternes for dessert.

"Manischewitz Concord Grape

DESCRIPTION: Sweet, fruity wine. Product of New York State. volume: 750ml

FOOD PAIRING: traditional Kiddush wine.

SUPERVISION: Orthodox Union (OU); kosher for Passover; mevushal."

Kosher wine ?!? Never heard of that before 27_laughing.gif

I have to test grin.gif

i did not know that reisling's were german.

It's not. 100% french product.

What? If you're refering to Beaujolais, then, yes, I know they're 100% french. But the best rieslings (in my opinion) are German. I prefer them over French rieslings (Alsace mostly). They tend to be dryer a'la Chards vs. the German rieslings which tend to be crisper when young and become fuller/more nectar-y as they age.

If you haven't tried a true German riesling (JJ Prum, Dr. Loosen, Donnhoff, etc.) you are missing out! They are NOT the sugary, sweet rieslings that you've tried from California. Get yourself to a decent wine shop and pick up a bottle to go with your turkey dinner. Or with any Asian food. The crispness pairs well with the spicyness you find in Thai food, etc. Don't be intimidated by the labels. Just ask someone and they'll steer you in the right direction... you won't be sorry. (And don't feel like a wimp for drinking white wine. This is coming from someone with a 500+ bottle wine collection that's predominately red but my head has been turned by those pesky Germans.)

All this talk, you know, I'd love to be a wine expert, I'd love to KNOW wine, but I don't have the budget for comics and wine. =)

All I've managed to figure out is I love anything Chateau St Michele has put out, their Reisling especially.

hi.gif

In my mind Riesling was only a wine from Alsace, it seems that i'm wrong on this one...

You seems to be an expert in wines, and i must admit that i don't really know the german's wines (there are so many wines in France !) sorry.gif

I was born in the 'Anjou' area of France and i'm a fan (and collector) of the sweet white wine named 'Coteaux du Layon'.

In my region it's also called the 'Sauternes of the poors' because it's as good as Sauternes but certainly cheaper...

I also like red wines with smoked taste like Shiraz.

Oh... and i love Thaï food too (the cook of my marriage was thaï) thumbsup2.gif

hi.gif

In my mind Riesling was only a wine from Alsace, it seems that i'm wrong on this one...

You seems to be an expert in wines, and i must admit that i don't really know the german's wines (there are so many wines in France !) sorry.gif

I was born in the 'Anjou' area of France and i'm a fan (and collector) of the sweet white wine named 'Coteaux du Layon'.

In my region it's also called the 'Sauternes of the poors' because it's as good as Sauternes but certainly cheaper...

I also like red wines with smoked taste like Shiraz.

Oh... and i love Thaï food too (the cook of my marriage was thaï) thumbsup2.gif

I know the Coteaux du Layon wines... very nice! I've got a few from Philippe Delesvaux. I made the "mistake" of opening one of them young and, while it was fantastic, I knew as soon as I took my first sip that they'll benefit from a few more years of bottle time.

...I knew as soon as I took my first sip that they'll benefit from a few more years of bottle time.

True, this wine improve with the years. It's a 'vin de garde', a wine to keep.

Glad to know that you have some bottles of Coteaux du Layon hail.gifwink.gif

I hope that one day you'll have the chance to drink some from 1947, a true nectar of the gods.

confused-smiley-013.gif

bot_5_c.jpgbot_5_m.jpgbot_5_n.jpgbot_5_t.jpgbot_5_w.jpg

i'm not familiar a with the Cisco Red, but have tried all the others in my youth.

what rotgut all of them are, but i wasn't actually drinking because i liked the stuff.

throw in Boone's Farm, Annie Greensprings, Mateus, and that other portugese rose in the fake crockery bottle (name escapes me at the moment) and you have all of the wines of my youth covered........ thumbsup2.gif

oops; left out Yago Sangria and Giaccobazzi (sp?)............

confused-smiley-013.gif

bot_5_c.jpgbot_5_m.jpgbot_5_n.jpgbot_5_t.jpgbot_5_w.jpg

i'm not familiar a with the Cisco Red, but have tried all the others in my youth.

what rotgut all of them are, but i wasn't actually drinking because i liked the stuff.

throw in Boone's Farm, Annie Greensprings, Mateus, and that other portugese rose in the fake crockery bottle (name escapes me at the moment) and you have all of the wines of my youth covered........ thumbsup2.gif

oops; left out Yago Sangria and Giaccobazzi (sp?)............

mmmm MD 20/20. brings me back to when i was freshman or sophmore in high school. after playin in the frosh or jr. varsity games me and my buddies would go and get drunk before the varsity games... good stuff.