• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adi Granov cover

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am looking for some information about Adi Granov covers.

I'd like to know how much is FMV for a cover by him, and where is the best place to purchase one.

I checked his web site, the asking prices seem high to me (a prelim for $1000) but I am no expert.

Please, any info will be really appreciate.

Thanks

I would tend to think when buying art, "artist direct" that the price is roughly at market value. Some artists do negotiate and the prices do swing a lot lower for preferred customers at times or when an artist needs to generate income.

I think his covers go for between $3,000-5,000, which I think are fairly priced. I think the prelims are a bit overpriced.

Personally, I'd skip the prelims, they're rarely worth as much as the final piece and you'll end up regretting the purchase, especially since they're not that cheap.

The prelims, to me are usually only worth obtaining if you own the original so you can have the entire process. Or, if they're dirt cheap. A few artists out there charge fractional amounts for prelims in the under $100 range, even as low as $5-10 at times depending on the complexity. So, I use a 1/10th general rule for myself, so if a cover is $2,000, a prelim should be no more than $200.

At $1,000 for a prelim, you're better off saving and waiting to get a cover for $3-5k, and even reach out to negotiate and make an offer, especially if you see a piece sitting on his website for a long time.

I'd say with Adi Granov "Go big or go home" while his rendered pencils are good, his acrylic work is great and hard to beat.

I'd think generally, it gets no better than buying direct from the artist. Sometimes people do buy art, then out of necessity or whatever reason, resell the art at a loss, but those instances are far and few between.

I don't think it's all that uncommon for artists to ask more than "market value" when dealing with them directly.

I'm with Speedy. They are of course entitled to ask for whatever you want. If you feel direct is too expensive, your options are quite limited, you would need to wait for someone who bought directly and needs to sell and is willing to take a loss. Even if you find such a person, what they bought might not be to your liking.

So you are better off buying direct, or buying something else altogether.

Malvin

I don't think it's all that uncommon for artists to ask more than "market value" when dealing with them directly.

I'm with Speedy. They are of course entitled to ask for whatever you want. If you feel direct is too expensive, your options are quite limited, you would need to wait for someone who bought directly and needs to sell and is willing to take a loss. Even if you find such a person, what they bought might not be to your liking.

So you are better off buying direct, or buying something else altogether.

Malvin

I've had better luck getting a reasonable price when "buying direct" at a convention or otherwise in person.

I find artists almost always charge more than FMV for their work. But I have also had luck in waiting for that first person to resell later on and then getting it at a lower price. I have also been the person who bought direct and then sold at quite a loss a few times too many.

And I agree with Speedy D in that negotiating face to face is usually better than email.

Hi all, I am looking for some information about Adi Granov covers.

I'd like to know how much is FMV for a cover by him, and where is the best place to purchase one.

I checked his web site, the asking prices seem high to me (a prelim for $1000) but I am no expert.

Please, any info will be really appreciate.

Thanks

PM Sent