• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cloak and Dagger

50 posts in this topic

Hi y'all!

I was wondering if any of you have read any of the Cloak and Dagger series from the 80's and if it was any good?

I enjoyed Cloak and Dagger when they appeared in Peter Parker but never read them outside of that series?

Worth reading, what do you think?

I'm sure I read them back then but don't remember.

I do remember being quite unimpressed with the characters. I only picked up the Peter Parker issues because they were hot.

Marvel later retconned C & D into mutants. :eyeroll: Probably because mutants were all the rage then at Marvel

Really?!?! Mutants....weird. I did not know that, it must have happened in the 90's! : )

Overall I really enjoyed that Peter Parker run: roughly between #60-#100. I thought that time frame was better then ASM and MTU. I was not collecting these as they came out but picking them up at my LCS when I did start collecting seriously in '89...and when I could find them. We did not have much for comic shops here in Maine and back issues were not stocked heavily.

Hell, I could find PPTSSM back issues much, much easier then ASM and MTU for that matter.....

Oh, I like the PP series. It flies under the radar for lots of collectors. There's some good stuff in there.

As far as C&D are concerned, Marvel has had 30 years to do something with them but the characters have never really stuck. If turning them into Mutants didn't work, nothing will.

Unless someone features them in a movie that is.

By the way, I see you're in Maine. I'm down here in CT. Any decent shops that you can recommend up there? I'll be in the Bar Harbor area sometime this year. I foudn one shop in Ellsworth, Comics Plus, but have no idea what it's like.

I understand there are several shops around Portland as well

The design for the characters is excellent. They look cool and they have a cool name.

The actual stories I never cared for at all. It was basically all about the war on drugs and street level gang stuff or whatever. The Bret Blevins art in Strange Tales makes me want to rip my eyes out and fire them into the sky with a slingshot to get them as far away from my brain as possible.

I didn't know they made them into Mutants.... ugh...

The new Ultimate Universe C&D had them created out of experiments.

If you have any interest in the characters, the new Miles Morales Ult Spidey title is a solid read.

Same thing when they were first introduced in the early 80s. The mutant retcon came a little later.

I'm surprised they didn't make all their characters mutants back in those days. ;)

Never cared for the styles of either Blevins or Rick Leonardi. That probably played a part in my ambivalence for the characters.

Did absolutely nothing for me (but admittedly, they came in after the time I was really reading new books . . . ), but hype away as I am sure I have multiple copies of their ASM appearances, as well as the limited series. :grin:

By the way, I see you're in Maine. I'm down here in CT. Any decent shops that you can recommend up there? I'll be in the Bar Harbor area sometime this year. I foudn one shop in Ellsworth, Comics Plus, but have no idea what it's like.

I understand there are several shops around Portland as well

No, there are not really any good shop's around here. Not even Portland....Portland area has Casablanca comics which is the best around or was last time I went. Portland also has Newbury comics which only has new issues and trades. I live in Brunswick and actually get my comics a town over at a video game shop.

I actually just heard of a newer one on the radio the other day owned by someone who draws for a independent comic company and sells comics and does tatoo's out of his shop. It's in Hallowel which is over a hour from me....I might check it out sometime.

If you find any let me know.....

There is a big flea market in my town every weekend and sometimes I find comics there but nothing special. There is a regular there with mostly 90's stuff overpriced weekly though. lol

If you have any interest in the characters, the new Miles Morales Ult Spidey title is a solid read.

Yup, I read and like this series. This series is actually what got me thinking about them again.

@ Jeffro

I just looked at the Facebook for the Comics Plus in Ellsworth. Looks more like a card shop/gaming hang out. I only looked quickly after I saw that. I would guess they sell new comics and maybe a few long boxes of drek kicking around. There are a few other comic/card gaming places around if your into that stuff....magick, Pokemon and such. I have never been into any of that.

I think I was first introduced to them in Power Pack of all places, and I immediately thought they were cool as hell, at least their costumes. These two tragic "kids" meeting up with Power Pack and dealing with drug abuse while secretly being in love with each other. That's how my kid brain interpreted it anyway. So I have a definite fondness for the characters, as do a lot of kids from the 80s I think. PP64 (I've always called the series "Peter Parker"....I don't know why "Spectacular Spider-Man" has become such the go-to name over the years) has maintained remarkable popularity and value over the decades, despite the characters never really gaining much in prominence in the MarvelU.

@ Jeffro

I just looked at the Facebook for the Comics Plus in Ellsworth. Looks more like a card shop/gaming hang out. I only looked quickly after I saw that. I would guess they sell new comics and maybe a few long boxes of drek kicking around. There are a few other comic/card gaming places around if your into that stuff....magick, Pokemon and such. I have never been into any of that.

Thanks. I found a couple reviews online and they weren't good. I guess I'll have to take my chances with the antique places on route 1.