• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My local library is GREAT!

24 posts in this topic

They have a pretty large TPB/GN section, even if half of it is manga. I should have started this thread a while back, this is my third trip, but I am gonna start taking pics of what I am reading from them. I was gonna start this thread in the Modern section, but not everything I read is modern (just most if it, seemingly.) I will try to remember the stuff I read before, too.

Anyway, here's what I just brought home today:

ur123Sj.jpg

:D

-slym

Nice! I went to the Santa Monica Library while waiting for Tar & Roses to open and their comic section was absolutely perfect. Ceiling to floor undergrounds and alternatives, with Watchmen being the only super hero comic I spotted. Multiple copies of Crumb collections, multiples of Jaime and Gilbert books. Awesome looking stuff I had never heard of. If I lived there I wouldn't need to buy comics.

My town built a shinny new library a few years ago. I was soarly dissapointed when I went in. They have fully embraced the digital age I guess cause not even a third of the floorspace even had bookshelves much less books. They have a digital checkout website that has books and audio books but I've never really looked at it cause, well, Piratebay

My town built a shinny new library a few years ago. I was soarly dissapointed when I went in. They have fully embraced the digital age I guess cause not even a third of the floorspace even had bookshelves much less books. They have a digital checkout website that has books and audio books but I've never really looked at it cause, well, Piratebay

That sadly does seem to be the trend with libraries. Our new county librarian is clearly of this mind. She's been culling our collection at rate that would make a Nazi blush.

Yep my libary likewise. Gor some good spoon there that I wanted to read but dint wanna buy.

Make sure you get 'Hit Man' by Lawrence Blockhead next time ya go....

Also 'Pursuit' by Thomas Perry....holy spoon....

I love the library for trades as it allows me to try some trades that I would never have bought.

I have read some stinkers but also some great stuff I wouldn't have read otherwise.

you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a in education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library

the new york public library :luhv:

Patience and Fortitude. :cloud9:

The library I go to will get me the books I'm looking for if they are available. I'm thinking most libraries do this also. Just a suggestion if you don't see the book your looking for. As long as you have a title they usually find it. Whether its available is another thing. That goes for magazines too.

I love the library for trades as it allows me to try some trades that I would never have bought.

I have read some stinkers but also some great stuff I wouldn't have read otherwise.

:applause:

-slym

Anyway, here's what I just brought home today:

ur123Sj.jpg

-slym

Wait a minute :sumo: I thought you'd said you had given up on SiP? Here's :wishluck: that it got better for you.

Heh, yeah... I ended up reading the whole thing anyway. Not too bad at all, so I picked up the second one. I think my library has 4 or 5 volumes of the "Pocket Book" editions.

I am waiting for Transmetroplitan & TWD to get the first few volumes back, but they are never there. Always vol. 5 or 7 at the earliest... it makes me wonder.

Any suggestions? I am already on the Moore "Swamp Thing" kick, but vol. 3 wasn't in this time around. I saw a large-format Miller "300" book I might check out. The large-format of the Fraction "Hawkeye" book is what got me to check that one out. I have never read "V For Vendetta" so this ought to be a fun time with this batch.

-slym

Let me know how Y: The Last Man is

So far, it is great! I read the first TPB years ago and liked it, so when I picked up the first two last week, I devoured them and couldn't wait to read the rest.

4-1/2 stars out of 5!

-slym

What I just returned today before getting the batch in the pics:

Vol. 1&2 of "Y: The Last Man"

Vol. 2 of "Saga Of The Swamp Thing"

Vol. 1 of SiP Pocket Book edition

Vol. 2 of "X-Men Forever"

"Batmans Greatest Stories Ever Told"

Before that, there was The first Swamp Thing TPB and some other Batman stuff, focusing on the Joker (can't remember the titles,) the first "The Sixth Gun" TPB, the first "Locke & Key" trade, as well as some other things I can't remember.

-slym

Let me know how Y: The Last Man is

So far, it is great! I read the first TPB years ago and liked it, so when I picked up the first two last week, I devoured them and couldn't wait to read the rest.

4-1/2 stars out of 5!

-slym

Cool, I'll have to check it out. I've been on a Vertigo kick this year and have rarely read anything I disliked from them. But for some reason haven't tried their biggest titles. Transmetropolitan, Swamp Thing, Sandman, Preacher, ect.

We pick up some really cool stuff dirt cheap at The Friends Of The Library sales..... usually not brand new, but at a buck or so (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u