• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Grand Auction

41 posts in this topic

Almost pulled the trigger on that Flash 110, but that big "S" mark on the cover had me thinking it would drive me crazy looking at it. The book was bought on Heritage, cracked, and pressed and came back with the same 9.0. Someone took over a $1000 hit on it.

DD7 at closer inspection had at least 7 defects at 9.4 and went too high if you were ignoring the grade and looking at the book.

FF 5 went for FMV so I passed.

Avengers 4, I thought about it, and then thought it could be 15k next month so why bother.

FF 1 in 9.0 is just way out of my reach.

Marvel Super-Heroes 18 is just silly.

It's hard to find bargains bidding against the house.

The same argument could be made for ComicLink and ComicConnect as well...

Heritage probably not as much...

Yes and Yes. Even HA, I wouldn't stake a 100% guarantee on it ...

The same argument could be made for ComicLink and ComicConnect as well...

Heritage probably not as much...

Yes and Yes. Even HA, I wouldn't stake a 100% guarantee on it ...

Me neither...

As a bidder, I have zero knowledge as to what goes on behind the scenes and auction manipulation could be very easily done and no one would ever know.

The easiest is to just set your max bid and walk away. You win, great...you get "outbid," then move on to something else. You can't get hosed with that strategy.

What did the DD#7 go for?

$5378 is the only reported sale from last year. Did it go for that? Or close? That book was horribly overgraded.

Edit: Nevermind. I see it. $5101. Strong price for an overgrade. Really strong.

It's Pedigree. Doug's rep has to have some negative impact on bids I would think. But yeah Avengers 4... wow. Did a 9.6 really sell for $90K a couple of years ago (I know it did, just hard to believe).

I wouldn't use Pedigree sales as any substantiation of market values, whether they are high or low sales prices.

old news no more ....

hm

Anyone know who this collector is? A lot of the books in Pedigree auctions wind up here. An awful lot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-6-STRANGE-TALES-104-NM-Cond-Off-White-to-White-Pages-1963-/130778268494?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e72fe034e

old news no more ....

hm

Anyone know who this collector is? A lot of the books in Pedigree auctions wind up here. An awful lot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-6-STRANGE-TALES-104-NM-Cond-Off-White-to-White-Pages-1963-/130778268494?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e72fe034e

That's a comic shop local to Doug (the location shows West Palm Beach in the listing). His name is Mark Gallo. I've met him a few times - he was at Megacon 2 weeks ago.

Mark owns past present and futute and buys a lot of books from pedigree! He's completely legit.

The first time I ever met Mark was when I was at the Mound City auctions in St. Louis in 2009. Doug Schmell came in to examine the auction books on Friday and then left for home that evening because he had a previous engagement. Mark ended up showing up for bidding on Saturday and Sunday and bid live for Doug.

I do think they work together based on that experience.