• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World St. Louis Comic Con, May 22-24, 2015

71 posts in this topic

Looks like Friedrich has cancelled (though not confirmed) and there is a ton of booth space still available. I have my doubts this will be back next year barring an amazing turn out. The scheduling last year hit this convention hard and this year I do not believe people will be spending memorial day weekend at WW.

I hope I am very wrong about this as I would love to StL keep a WW but they are doing everything to make it difficult.

If anyone has a lead on dealer passes let me know.

Usual connection isn't setting up there and a new connection fell through at the last minute.

More than willing to pay for passes for myself and three other boardies that are attending.

Don't mind paying, would just like to avoid the lines.

I see they finally got the list of exhibitors up today...........

I haven't been this disappointed since Van Halen played on Jimmy Kimmel.

Not much at all whatsoever with regards to vintage, at least that I could pick out of the list. Predictable. Yeah, I'm thinking we're 3 and done here in STL. Which I'm ok with, if this kind of scheduling is what's on tap for the future anyway.

I'm only going to sub books and have Geprge Romero sign the Dawn of The Dead one sheet that hangs in my office.

I'm disappointed that Gary Friedrich is no longer listed. I was planning on driving to StL specifically to meet him this weekend, but now will not be attending WW StL. I wish they would have at least added his name to the 'canceled' list so I would know for sure.

I'm disappointed that Gary Friedrich is no longer listed. I was planning on driving to StL specifically to meet him this weekend, but now will not be attending WW StL. I wish they would have at least added his name to the 'canceled' list so I would know for sure.

and they wish that you would buy your ticket ahead of time online before realizing your favorite guest won't be appearing.

and they wish that you would buy your ticket ahead of time online before realizing your favorite guest won't be appearing.

I think this is why they waited so long before putting out the list of exhibitors, too.

Pathetic if that's the case.

I'm sorry to see Gary cancel. Hope it's not due to health reasons. I was looking forward to chatting with him again though. Last saw him at Planet Comicon in 2012. Good guy.

As far as the show goes I imagine tomorrow is going to be a ghost town. Sunday of Memorial Day weekend plus rain? Not looking good.

I'll be there to sub a bunch of stuff,but beyond that I don't anticipate finding much to bring home. Dealer list is pretty thin, as was previously noted.

It was slow yesterday. I was there for 90 minutes and walked out.

There were probably only half a dozen booths that actually had comics, most of which were dollar boxes, that sort of thing. A couple of booths had wall displays, but the selection that they had was very light on vintage.

Even from a geek/pop culture perspective, it just seemed to not have much going on. I talked to people who weren't even there for comics, and they agreed that it sucked.

Yikes. What a horrendous situation. My wife found me a ticket on Living Social for $20, so I did what I went to do. Subbed 20 books and had George Romero sign a movie poster. Nothing else there for me at all whatsoever.

The show was pathetic. How can you have comic con without the comics?

There were five actual dealers with books and a dollar box guy.

I have missed more booths at a real show than they had here.

I spent more time at the local comic shops than at the show.

I have to agree with everything above; it seems like WW has mismanaged this show the last two years. The vendor situation is really bad, after last year no comic vendors returned and all the pop culture vendors were clones of each other. Some celebrity observations:

StL loves their wrestling! Seth Rollins & Paige had a lot of VIPs

Same with Christian Kane and Hayley Atwell

regardless of where WW is JDF always has a line no different in StL

Didn't see many others even with Romero in attendance (which is why I was there).

I would not be surprised if they pulled a Louisville and skipped next year and moved the date from May. I just do not understand why WW schedules shows to purposefully go against other conventions. It has really cost them, although I do not believe StL can handle large comic vendors very well as this is a cheaper town. Mid grade Silver, low grade Gold and high grade bronze and up seem to be the best sellers with high dollar wall books just sitting for show.

In any case I did have some fun at the show:

Had an awesome conversation with Stuart Sayger about Stan G, Decarlo and Millie the Model while asking for a commission. Dude knows his Millie and it was fun talking nerd shop about something most people don't really talk about. I'm totally going to start a fan new Millie fan club!

Commission:

20150523_154816_zpszcdsrgpf.jpg

Also picked up a commission from Brian Atkins (my favorite atkins.. lol). He always does great work and I have him do a sketch cover every time I can.

Commission:

20150524_113726_zpsjjwrnxkj.jpg

A personally ritual of mine has always been to walk around artist alley find the guy diligently working at a table. Dude is usually local and just trying to sell some work, I have had some great commissions from guys like this.. so here is what $15 can get you!

Commission:

20150523_154852_zpsuv7epyhr.jpg

20150523_154906_zpsljmze5sy.jpg

I know two dealers that were going there

Youmechooz and a local comic shop here in Chicago suburbs called GeekInc

were they selling? I would think so without any real competition

I have to agree with everything above; it seems like WW has mismanaged this show the last two years. The vendor situation is really bad, after last year no comic vendors returned and all the pop culture vendors were clones of each other. Some celebrity observations:

StL loves their wrestling! Seth Rollins & Paige had a lot of VIPs

Same with Christian Kane and Hayley Atwell

regardless of where WW is JDF always has a line no different in StL

Didn't see many others even with Romero in attendance (which is why I was there).

I would not be surprised if they pulled a Louisville and skipped next year and moved the date from May. I just do not understand why WW schedules shows to purposefully go against other conventions. It has really cost them, although I do not believe StL can handle large comic vendors very well as this is a cheaper town. Mid grade Silver, low grade Gold and high grade bronze and up seem to be the best sellers with high dollar wall books just sitting for show.

In any case I did have some fun at the show:

Had an awesome conversation with Stuart Sayger about Stan G, Decarlo and Millie the Model while asking for a commission. Dude knows his Millie and it was fun talking nerd shop about something most people don't really talk about. I'm totally going to start a fan new Millie fan club!

Commission:

20150523_154816_zpszcdsrgpf.jpg

Also picked up a commission from Brian Atkins (my favorite atkins.. lol). He always does great work and I have him do a sketch cover every time I can.

Commission:

20150524_113726_zpsjjwrnxkj.jpg

A personally ritual of mine has always been to walk around artist alley find the guy diligently working at a table. Dude is usually local and just trying to sell some work, I have had some great commissions from guys like this.. so here is what $15 can get you!

Commission:

20150523_154852_zpsuv7epyhr.jpg

20150523_154906_zpsljmze5sy.jpg

Those are great!

GeekInc was there. They had a few books I was interested in. Grabbed a TMNT 2 from him. I know others bought a few as well. They normally have an even better selection. But they had pretty good $5 books. Kristina's comics had some good books including $5-10, as did First Aid.

Youmechooz was coming but then cancelled and, I think, did another show instead.

Wizard went from too many higher end dealers (for this market) last year to basically not enough of any kind this year. As Timmay pointed out, I spent way more time at local shops than at the con.

GeekInc was there. They had a few books I was interested in. Grabbed a TMNT 2 from him. I know others bought a few as well. They normally have an even better selection. But they had pretty good $5 books. Kristina's comics had some good books including $5-10, as did First Aid.

Youmechooz was coming but then cancelled and, I think, did another show instead.

Wizard went from too many higher end dealers (for this market) last year to basically not enough of any kind this year. As Timmay pointed out, I spent way more time at local shops than at the con.

Hopefully next year I will be able to set up at the show, but it concerns me that none of the customers will come back.

I can't add anything other than "it really sucked". Very depressing. I know they've put dates up for next year, but they'd be foolish unless they are revamping the con head to toe and going out of their way to get quality exhibitors back.

It was a comic book show........without comic books. I made mention of it when I was dropping books off for submission and the guy said, "............ugh, yeah". Just a disaster on so many levels.

There were more booths selling homeopathic medicine, pain relief, LASIK, and weight loss products than there were comic books. There was even a booth selling custom shower enclosures. A really surreal experience.

I actually hope they just cancel and stay away. I even felt for the people there for things other than comics. They thought it sucked too, based in the handful I spoke with.