• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old or new label?

26 posts in this topic

I have a chance to pickup a silver age key I've been after for a wile. It's a thousand dollar book so thought I'd get a few opinions from fellow CGC enthusiasts before pulling the trigger. I have two copies to pick from... Same grade, both slabs in perfect shape, only difference one is slabbed with the old label the other the new. I'm aware comics slabbed in the original case were sometimes held to a higher standard and could be resubmitted and possibly come back a higher grade? On the other hand some collectors prefer the new label and they tend to do better at auction then the old label... I might be making this more complicated then it needs to be but we're talking about a 1K purchase. I'd appreciate any and all comments. :)

Buy the book, not the label 2c

which ever one looks "better" to you. is the one to go after

just because the book has an older label doesn't mean it can sub higher, sometimes its the opposite do to the movement of the book.

either way good luck and congrats! ;)

Geeeze Steve! I've hear sometimes people resubmit blue label books and they come back as purple labels? I'm not a gambler, but I would say if you can't preview these copies in person try and get some high res large scans of both front and back covers of both copies to try and help with your decision. Go with the one that most appeals to you!

And remember it's the book and not the label that you are truly buying!

Geeeze Steve! I've hear sometimes people resubmit blue label books and they come back as purple labels? I'm not a gambler, but I would say if you can't preview these copies in person try and get some high res large scans of both front and back covers of both copies to try and help with your decision. Go with the one that most appeals to you!

And remember it's the book and not the label that you are truly buying!

That would be an absolute nightmare... Spend that type of cash on a book only to have it come back restored... :eek:

What other advice can I give,these fine gentleman have given you the correct advice.

Always buy the book,not the label.I would rather go with a pretty 4.0,than an ugly 7.0.Go with your gut. (thumbs u

Buy the book not the label,sometimes you just have to pull the trigger !

Right you are... I've lost numerous opportunities because I procrastinate obsessively before making comic purchases. :pullhair:

What other advice can I give,these fine gentleman have given you the correct advice.

Always buy the book,not the label.I would rather go with a pretty 4.0,than an ugly 7.0.Go with your gut. (thumbs u

I've always been a buy the book not the grade collector... I agree

Buy the book not the label,sometimes you just have to pull the trigger !

Right you are... I've lost numerous opportunities because I procrastinate obsessively before making comic purchases. :pullhair:

Here i have found if you don't do it fast the book is gone like the Flash!

As has been the suggested, buy whichever book looks better.

I personally don't like the old label due to the smaller serial no. and lack of information.

If it's not to CPR, or just CR, and will remain in your collection go with whichever appeals to you more. I'm not one to believe that grading standards were necessarily tighter on old label books, at least with blunted bronze/copper and moderns I've seen.

I have a chance to pickup a silver age key I've been after for a wile. It's a thousand dollar book so thought I'd get a few opinions from fellow CGC enthusiasts before pulling the trigger. I have two copies to pick from... Same grade, both slabs in perfect shape, only difference one is slabbed with the old label the other the new. I'm aware comics slabbed in the original case were sometimes held to a higher standard and could be resubmitted and possibly come back a higher grade? On the other hand some collectors prefer the new label and they tend to do better at auction then the old label... I might be making this more complicated then it needs to be but we're talking about a 1K purchase. I'd appreciate any and all comments. :)

The operative word in the first bolded part is sometimes. There are many examples of old label books that are gift grades. Rick once reported he got no more success with old label re-subs than new. A grade bump depends on the book and the assigned grade not whether it is an old or new label.

I would say that the second bolded part is not true at all. The saying "Old label goodness" and the perception that these labels are more likely to upgrade means old labels usually go for higher prices cet. par.

You probably shouldn't buy either . Chances are they both have been micro trimmed and cgc missed them the first time .

lol

As others have said, buy whichever book looks better to you. Which one has better centering? Do the colors pop more on one than the other? Does one of them have a particular defect that you have an issue with or don't mind as much?

Two books, same grade. Buy the one with greater eye appeal. The age of the label should be secondary.

Will the one you choose be shipped to you, or would you be picking it up?

The thing is - with the old label the books have most likely not been pressed. I believe old label was before the pressing juggernaut stated happening. So there can be room for opportunity for crack out, press, and resub if one were so inclined and if the defects were "good" defects from a pressing standpoint. Books with the newer label have a much higher chance of being pressed though some opportunities still exist